Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,528 times

Advertisements

I actually signed up for this forum becauseof these phone calls. Get them every other day and today I finally anasswered one since I was home with the flu. No lie, the guy sounded like the guy in the commercial..."Peggy"...I almost started laughing immediately. He said he can lower all my credit cards to 6% and then prompted me to give me the first card. I asked for his company name....he said Credit Card Services. I askedhim what fees were associated with this benefit....he said no fees. I asked for the number to call him back while I researched his company online.....click. I feel sorry for the people who are really desperate to lower their debt and fall for this.. When you have no where to turn or a place to get immediate advice, scams like this are not real obvious. This could makes someone who is in deep debt really go over the edge.. there has to be a way to punish these people or at least stop the scamming the people....just thought I would vent...now I keep a whistle by the phone and I don't get mad anymore...I get even. I blow that thing as loud as I can then hand up.. I hope they get the message...

cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM

43 posts, read 214,910 times
Oh I love the whistle idea!!!
We have been called dozens of times.
I always file an official complaint online. We are also on the Do Not Call List.
I agree though that it should be possible to catch them. I do not understand that this is allowed to continue!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,032,936 times
From what I understand, scam companies have a delay on their lines so the whistle-idea doesn't really do anything.
Unfortunate, because they deserve nothing less than temporary deafness for what they do.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,012,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
These crooks not only call they also send spam texts (which you end up paying for).

I've been called / texted several times even though on the Do Not Call Registry. Therefore the perps are in violation of Federal Law.

I used sophisticated techniques to try and contact the actual perps, and in a few cases succeeded. Did some of my own social engineering. They are well trained and know when and how to run away when it gets too hot.

If the FCC made it a priority they could be found and busted. It's just a matter of priorities and getting the right political impetus.
One of the biggest waste of taxpayers money. I had the same calls, reported the calls several times and the calls didn't stop until very recently. If any of you actually see the number of the caller, do a google search of the number and a website called 800notes.com or something like that should show up. Sometimes people will post up that they received calls from the same number and they will explain what happened. I saw when they called me, that someone traced the call back to somewhere in Texas and it turned out to be the same address as Nextel Communications. Not sure what they have to do with it, but it makes you wonder.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,202,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
If any of you actually see the number of the caller
It is VERY important to ALWAYS remember that Caller ID - and that INCLUDES the phone-company-supplied service "*69" - is almost ALWAYS spoofed with these calls - the number you see, the number you "trace", is NOT the number from where the call is coming.

In fact, it often is the number of some poor innocent entity that had absolutely nothing to do with whatever scam the caller was pushing.

====

My phone number once was used by someone/something to call at least a few people. I got return calls from those people asking why I had called them. Some of those callers became irate - really irate. Since autodialers are usually used by these operations and the hardware/software of those dialers is poorly designed so "dead-line calls" can result, the recipients sometimes thought they were being harassed - someone calls, they pick up, the line is dead silent, they hang up, rinse and repeat...and all "from" my number.

Even Verizon could NOT trace back the calls to the actual calling number (after =I= complained about it) since the Caller ID information is made outside of their switches.

====

So don't be fooled, don't be mad at the owner of the number that "called" you with the scam. It's quite likely the Caller ID entity is as much (or more!) of a victim as you are.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
Well they caught me in a tired mood and I unfortnately gave them a couple of Credit card
numbers but who knows as they have the information ahead of time .. I think they are getting it
from the Credit Bureau .. Equifax and etc.
When this guy called me back and said that they were going to charge me $549. to lower my Interest rate .. I told him to cancel it .. he told me he couldn't .. and hung up on me .. I tried to call the numbers that they gave me and None worked .. and one was busy ..
I called 2 credit card companies and cancelled the cards and they are sending me new ones just in case they decide to charge something on them .. They are Scam artists and need to be stopped. I pressed '2' on the phone to Opt out and that didn't make any difference .. they just connected me to the crooks anyway .. Mad at myself for being so stupid !!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
Default Report these scammers

no use in opting out, because they have thousands of other phone numbers in other states to continue calling you...scam report all numbers to national do not call registry!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,330 times
Card Services calls me 6 or 7 times a week and each time tells me this is my final notice, but it never is. I have even talked to them and told them to stop calling. The guy got snotty and said " You pressed 1 to answer this call". How else was I supposed to talk to some one? 612-222-7091 is the current number they are using and I have registered on the DO NOT CALL list. None of this works. BEWARE OF THESE CALLS and tell them you need to call them back. Chances are they will not do this and if they do, the call back number they give would be the one to file a complaint on I would think.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,305,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee11 View Post
Oh I love the whistle idea!!!
We have been called dozens of times!
If you really want to "make their day" make a sharp sound like a gunshot and then set the phone down.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,356 times
Default Customer Service Number for Credit Card Services Scam

This is the number that they give you once you have given them your information. They assign you a "financial Advisor" (joke) and tell you to call them at 888-355-2702. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: