Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM

424 posts, read 1,480,658 times

Advertisements

We have run into (expected) competition with homes in the neighborhood selling at much lower prices than one would expect as they were bought at unbelievable prices (out of a foreclosure) and are now back at prices higher than what they were purchased at (of course) but much lower than one would expect to list them (if they were individual owners as opposed to investment companies).

Question I have is - does it even make sense to try and compete? If yes, how would we be able to do that?

Or, would it be prudent to delist our property and wait it out till the other ones are sold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,283,842 times
What area are you talking about and what type of properties?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,944,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
We have run into (expected) competition with homes in the neighborhood selling at much lower prices than one would expect as they were bought at unbelievable prices (out of a foreclosure) and are now back at prices higher than what they were purchased at (of course) but much lower than one would expect to list them (if they were individual owners as opposed to investment companies).

Question I have is - does it even make sense to try and compete? If yes, how would we be able to do that?

Or, would it be prudent to delist our property and wait it out till the other ones are sold?
Unfortunately, those homes have become your home's comps the minute they sell. How much higher are you? 10%? 20%? More? It could be you may need to settle in for a while, it's hard to speak without knowing how many homes, what other sales are in the neighborhood. The other option would be (and what many are coming to terms with), forget getting the equity out of the home right now, and tap into another asset to purchase the move up home. Renting the current home will not be a problem in our area, and the negative will be minimal, if it exists. Many are rationalizing this by thinking they'll never be able to move up for so little, ever again.

You are describing everyone's nightmare, from sea to shining sea. We've (the DC area) has been luckier than the rest of the country. We're lucky - I know it doesn't feel that way, but it's way worse in other states.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 PM

199 posts, read 672,991 times
You need to do some research on those properties or have your realtor do it. Investment companies are still going to want to get as close to market value as they can. Sure they may be a little less to get them to move, but I would imagine they would still want to make their money.

If they were foreclosure properties, were they fixed up? Do they still need work to warrant the low price? Have your realtor go take a look and speak to the listing agents...they might give the scoop.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,957,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post

I have not heard of this, but I can't imagine why an investor wouldn't sell the house at fair market value to maximize their profits.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 AM

4,443 posts, read 8,144,959 times
Well they may be LISTING the homes for a lower price, but what they sell for is the important number. They may be listing low just to drum up traffic to the home to increase the chances of a bidding war.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,113,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Well they may be LISTING the homes for a lower price, but what they sell for is the important number. They may be listing low just to drum up traffic to the home to increase the chances of a bidding war.
I think there's a lot of truth to this. Maybe you could try the same sort of strategy--list it at the lower price but then tell anyone who offers you that price that you have bids that are higher, and what are they willing to offer. It's a stupid game, I agree, but if you're having trouble getting people to see the house it might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia