Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,815,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Shouldn't kids be looking both ways before crossing the street? And oh yeah, not jaywalking? If your kid runs out blindly from the front side of a bus into oncoming traffic, guess what: Your kid is stupid. And/or you're a bad parent.
Carlington, I usually appreciate your posts, but I could not let this one slide. And I know you admitted later that you may have been too harsh, but here's the deal. While I would never, ever, ever call them "stupid," some kids have developmental delays. Others have or autism or ADHD or Down syndrome or vision problems or are only 5 years old or have any number of other issuess (or none at all other than being a child) that could hinder their judgement for a moment. And guess what? All of these types of kids take the regular school bus. And it's quite possible that one of them would step off the bus and run across the street before their responsible parent who was waiting there could stop him. That's why there is a law for all cars to stop when the red flashing lights are on because we can never predict what a child would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,738,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Carlington, I usually appreciate your posts, but I could not let this one slide. And I know you admitted later that you may have been too harsh, but here's the deal. While I would never, ever, ever call them "stupid," some kids have developmental delays. Others have or autism or ADHD or Down syndrome or vision problems or are only 5 years old or have any number of other issuess (or none at all other than being a child) that could hinder their judgement for a moment. And guess what? All of these types of kids take the regular school bus. And it's quite possible that one of them would step off the bus and run across the street before their responsible parent who was waiting there could stop him. That's why there is a law for all cars to stop when the red flashing lights are on because we can never predict what a child would do.
MichGC: You are right. I wrote that in haste. I regret doing so, and I apologize.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,815,772 times
OP, I think you've sufficiently punished yourself mentally for your mistake. You learned from it and you should move on. Yes, we have all made mistakes - whether driving mistakes, poor judgement mistakes, "say things we shouldn't have" mistakes, etc. I remember on more than one occasion putting my child in her carseat and driving to my destination only to realize when I got there that I never buckled the seat belt! Duh!. Be thankful that no one got hurt, don't do it again, and lesson learned!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 AM

16 posts, read 36,122 times
Default Results?

Hi-- I'm just wondering if you could post the results of your case? What happened at the court and what was your punishment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia