Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,369 times

Advertisements

I'm transferring jobs to work at a DC office starting in April. I decided I really want to live along the orange metro line in Arlington.

I've been finding statistics for those neighborhoods (Clarendon, Courthouse, V Square, Ballston, Rosslyn) and I keep finding that the average 1 bedroom/bathroom price is around $1200 or so. Every place I'm finding for rent seems to be much more money than that. Does this average take rents for larger places and factor that in to the equation somehow?

I'm not finding many low-rise or privately owned places for rent. So far I've been finding info on the bigger high-rise buildings, where rent is pretty high with lots of fees. Besides craigslist which I haven't been having luck with, how do people find house apartments or maybe even condos to rent? I don't need to be on top of the orange line since I will be driving to work, something .5 miles or a bit more to a subway stop is fine for me. Also, size doesn't bother me, I'm fine with a teeny studio if need be.

I'm not open to having a roomate, and I have a small dog to complicate things. Ideally, I would like to keep things to $1500-$1600 (or less!) including heat and electric. My upper limit is $2000 including everything (pet fees, pet "rent", etc.).

I've found more reasonable rents in the Crystal City/Pentagon area. I'll be driving in to SE DC for work and being a bit removed from the Orange line area wouldn't bother me during the week. On weekends when I want to stay out late I worry about getting back to my house from that area. Not sure how I feel about taking a taxi alone as a young female.

Any ideas are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Well, you'll be a young female until that young part wears off, but I wouldn't let it hold you back too much. Most of the Ballston Corridor is meanwhile supposed to be smart-growth, high-rise, high-density, walkable urban space. It's also expensive as you are seeing. There are alternatives, but they can be tough to catch. MilitaryByOwner currently lists a 1/1 condo on N Queens Lane sort of behind Ray's Hell Burger for $1750. It's between Courthouse and Rosslyn, so a longish way from both. But if you used Rosslyn to go places, and Courthouse to come back, the walk would be downhill in both directions. Hard to beat that.

Anyway, to use MilitaryByOwner, click Rent, choose a state (VA), click Ft Myer as the base, put your price range in, and click Search.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Try Riverhouse in Pentagon City. Very pet friendly you can be below $1700 including everything. The area certainly isn't as happening as North Arlington, but you are right next to a mall and a decent selection of bars and restaurants (23rd street, Pentagon Row, Crystal City). Taxis are generally fine, especially in Arlington, so that won't be a problem.

There are probably a few other complexes in Pentagon City/Crystal City that would suit your needs...and they are generally a couple hundred less than comparable apartments along the orange line. Plus you'll be closer to work.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM

100 posts, read 162,477 times
Honestly, you may find yourself going out in both the clarendon/courthouse area and the DC area. The yellow line spots like crystal city or pentagon city work just fine for that. the yellow line is easy to get in to the city with, of course, but cabs are easy to find to DC or to Arlington from that area.

I'm male so it's hard for me to judge if you'd feel safe taking cabs alone at night, but I know many women who feel safe doing just that. Often, it's not that much more expensive to take a cab than to take the metro if you're sharing the cab ... alone, it certainly costs more but is far more convenient depending on where you're going. If you're close to the metro in Pentagon city, for example, it's really not that bad of a metro ride to the orange line spots - you're just stuck with the transfer in rosslyn. That's a matter of convenience, however - you'd always be able to get home easily using either method.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM

365 posts, read 644,598 times
Check out padmapper

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia