Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

At Louise Archer in Vienna, the elementary extra-curricular activities include Chess Club, Dance, Foreign Languages, Girls on the Run, Karate, Kid-Art, LA Runners, Lego-Robotics, Mad Science, Odyssey of the Mind, Overtime Athletics, Science Olympiad, Skate Lab, Sports Camp and We Do Robotics. Here are the after-school programs at another Vienna-area school and a Falls Church (county, not city) school:

http://www.wolftrappta.org/uploads/W...012_Jan_11.pdf

http://www.haycockpta.org/index.php/...og_detail/C27/

There's plenty to explore for those with the time and interest, though some of this is geared towards children in grades 2 and higher. Overall, and particularly when considering all three levels of education, I think FCPS has as much to offer as the smaller Falls Church City system. But, again, at the end of the day these are personal and family-specfic judgments.

Last edited by JD984; 03-13-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
That's one of and it's 2 years ago. Things change. We have choice of Woodburn/Luther/Falls Church, Mantua/Frost/Woodson, Timber/Longfellow/McLean, Falls Church city and Tuckahoe/Williamsburg/Yorktown. My kids never went to Timer Lane nor Tuckahoe. I do like Tuckahoe.

We choose where to live for the school and rent out the rest but that's too much info already.

My observation is based on the different activities in kindergarten and first grade that my older kid experienced while in Fairfax county and the younger one in FCCPS.
Off-the-chart, compelling, and breath-taking proof--Falls Church Schools are the best.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 PM

314 posts, read 400,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I believe FCPS has at least as much to offer as the smaller Falls Church City system.
Those are PTA programs and you have to pay. It's not part of FCPS and it varies between PTAs.

Assuming FCPS has as much to offer as FCCPS, FCCPS still has an advantage over FCPS and that is in class size. Smaller class size is always better. That's why people pay extra for private schools.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Off-the-chart, compelling, and breath-taking proof--Falls Church Schools are the best.
Thank you for your obtuse observation.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
Those are PTA programs and you have to pay. It's not part of FCPS and it varies between PTAs.

Assuming FCPS has as much to offer as FCCPS, FCCPS still has an advantage over FCPS and that is in class size. Smaller class size is always better. That's why people pay extra for private schools.
You pay for these programs one way or the other, if you're a FCC resident, and both teachers and third parties participate in the FCPS after-school programs.

Lower class size does not necessarily translate into a superior education. It depends upon the needs of the students, and there are studies that have found that incremental additions in class sizes do not adversely affect student academic performance. People pay private school tuitions for lots of reasons in addition to class sizes (religious or moral training, sensitivity to special needs, teachers with advanced degrees, social standing, etc.) But, believe what you want. Standardized test scores in many Fairfax schools at the elementary, middle and high school levels are as high as, if not higher, than those in the City of Falls Church's schools, and the course offerings and athletic programs are more extensive at the upper levels.

Last edited by JD984; 03-13-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
But, believe what you want. As I mentioned, standardized test scores in many Fairfax schools at the elementary, middle and high school levels are as high as, if not higher, than those in the City of Falls Church's schools.
To each their own. I believe in smaller class size and I made recommendation based on that.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al2012 View Post
... so far, all I see is schools teaching for SOL scores ... any comments / suggestions...
Considering the draft language in the proposed FCPS teacher evaluation process, you may be seeing more of this. In the draft under "Performance Appraisal Rubric for Standard 1: Instruction Planning", a teacher is rated "Effective" if, "The teacher plans using the Virginia Standards of Learning in order to be ready for state assessments".

Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM

214 posts, read 488,033 times
OP, what is your budget? Most of the schools in the Reston area have a great reputation-why not start looking near your office?

My two cents on the rest-small class sizes are great but a big problem with the FCC school system is that the kids are with the same small group of kids all the way through k-12. If your child has a problem with a clique, a bully, (or has a rough year and makes a bad impression-it can be tough to recover socially.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:24 AM

7 posts, read 9,711 times
Thanks tgbwc...

and that's exactly what has us concerned. We were not happy when we found out that the school our son attends now will start SOL testing next year for whatever reason as that may shift the teacher's focus .... and I wonder if private schools at Fairfax have to do the same... in any case, we'll explore Langley and Madison schools this summer to see where we go from here as we need to buy a house in the school district of choice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia