Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times

Advertisements

Rob Perks: House Transportation Bill Would Worsen Traffic

Look I'm not just posting links to my website TTC For you new comers Anywho, what do you guys think of the new House Transportation Bill? They are looking to basically destroy any federal funding of transportation projects, even in cases where costs would be recouped and the budget assistance is for capital cost up front. At the same time Congressional members from this region are in favor of creating another bridge across the potomac (cause as we know road bridges fix everything).

I think if a new bridge is to be constructed across the potomac, the structural components required for a mass transit rail should be provided in advance also (that is what we call wise planning). Otherwise, if its just another subsidization for people to live farther out from commercial regions, and use their car even more, then I am against it. Atleast provide a 1 to 1 benefit for all uses.

Two separate points I suppose, but what are your thoughts on these big transportation stories in this area?

And again, look Im not just jocking my website! I'm learning to be better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I don't have a comment on that part of it but I read earlier in the week that they were tacking on some cuts for Federal workers and attaching it to the transportation bill--basically making federal workers pay for any spending in that area. I don't know if that is how it actually ended up but, naturally, as a federal worker, I was not pleased.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Well the House of Representatives have evidently waged a war on all sorts of things evidently. What they forget is that they are demonizing hard working employees by using a couple of examples of bad eggs. For the most part this country has the cross point of the smartest while still the hardest working people in the world (by productivity and overall economic health it is proven). The federal employees are not an exception to this. Has the system become a bit overbloated, where each department continues to max out its yearly budget in order to assure a bigger budget in the next year? Yes, but those decisions are usually made at the top, and have nothing to do with the great and devoted public servants of this country.

As far as the de-funding of transportation, they are undoing something that their semi-god deity overlord Ronald Reagan (who is prolly rolling in his grave if he sees what the republican party has become) passed as a president. He didnt just pass it, he championed it, saying that mass transit was essential to the health of our country.

Evidently Republicans in the house like picking and choosing what they like about Reagan and forget all that stuff like... public funding of infrastructure, mass transit, using government funding on wise projects for cost benefit return to the economy, not being *******s about social issues, and overall not being assclowns who try to destroy the country)

Its a shame, I used to be a fiscal conservative and I find the democrats to be much more in line with real economic concepts than the "all spending is bad" republicans.

Time to spend my hard earned money on the Government projects I work on as a consultant helping this country to get a nice beer. (Soon republicans will pass a law against that Im sure too)

Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Let's remember to keep this thread focused on how the transportation bill could affect Northern Virginia without getting into general discussion that would be more appropriate for the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Fair,

Regardless, mass transportation is a key to keeping this area possible. If people had to drive, there be no place for them all to park when they got to where their going, the roads would be even more ridiculously packed, and in general we all would have less options.

I dont understand what goal the House has in mind, but it appears they are simply waging an ideological war against anything progressive IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia