Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,471,049 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! You can spend that $5000 on hosting and feeding 50-60 people who probably won't even remember a single detail about your wedding the next day or you could do what my wife and I did... ...we had a small celebratory event with our immediate family members and with the money we saved, we went on a beautiful and memorable 10-day honeymoon to Mürren in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM

199 posts, read 673,163 times
if you don't need a religious officiant.....have a friend register and do it. It costs $31, plus a $500 bond that is refunded. The officiant can only do it once in VA though.

Marriage Information*- Fairfax County, Virginia

I believe its different depending on the county you are a resident of, and some counties don't allow it, so you'll have to check.

I think finding a traditional wedding venue will be hard at this budget, but if you find something it will probably book up fast...you may have to book very far in advance. If you do find something, off peak times (sat morning, fri night, sunday, weekday) will be cheaper.

Here is a place that does "all-inclusive" weddings, but I have no idea what their packages cost:
Waterford Receptions - Northern Virginia

Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,161,295 times
I used to work at The Waterford when it opened 10 years ago. I don't think you can do an inexpensive event there. Either keep it small or have something non-traditional or get married on a weekday.

You could check out the Grand Atrium. The pricing is on their website.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 PM

628 posts, read 1,935,568 times
Wedding ceremonies are over-rated. The honeymoon will be more memorable if you put the bulk of your $5k into that. If you want to involve some friends/family, rent a room at a restaurant or hotel, have a legal person do what's required to seal the deal, and throw a party with minimum food and drink.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,619,080 times
Try Maggiano's in Tyson's, esp. a brunch type menu. If you keep thing simple (maybe a J Crew dress for ~$300, for example, do your own hair and makeup), you may be able to squeak it in at budget.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,103,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If that doesn't work, see if you can just get a private room at a restaurant - assuming you won't be doing dancing/dj. Or, check out a church's function hall. Then you can do something more casual. Day weddings are usually cheaper. Good luck. And congrats!
I would suggest this too. Many restaurants offer a room for private parties dependent of course, on the # of people involved. Ask around. Often, you can rent the room without obligation to meals also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
I had my reception at China Garden, went to a Korean place (forgot the name) for the hair/make up service and outfit/wedding dress rental in Annandale.
I knew friends who did the same thing. China Garden and it was a 10-course (yummy) dinner. It was about 30-40 people (family and close friends). The bride borrowed the wedding dress from a relative and only wore it for pictures. Then changed to a different gown for the dinner. They went to the justice of the peace for the ceremony. Another relative donated the cake. No decorations except simple but nice table settings/flowers. Everything was elegant, pulled together, and a wonderful event.

And these were young people a few years out of medical school. Instead of a massive wedding, they preferred to invest in their own business and buy real estate. Congratulations and best of luck!

Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,166,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareone0 View Post
Trying to avoid just going to the Justice of the Peace as this is my first wedding. .
Interesting choice of words. At this point, shouldn't you think this will be your only wedding, not your first?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,471,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Interesting choice of words. At this point, shouldn't you think this will be your only wedding, not your first?
I believe what the OP meant was that he/she has never been married before.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,438,382 times
If there's any chance the op lives in the City of Fairfax, there is a discount on the Olde Town Hall, http://www.fairfaxva.gov/parksrec/Download/OTHBrochure.pdf (broken link) A friend of mine's daughter had her wedding there and it was a DIY one. Plus, it's cheaper if you can do mid week.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 AM

396 posts, read 1,106,513 times
I had relatives who got married in Meadowlark Gardens in Fairfax:
Meadowlark Botanical Gardens - Fees
It was quite nice. Like others suggested here, they had a reception at a cheaper restaurant for about 15 people.

I have another friend who is getting married inexpensively in a cheaper area, but is doing the following: is paying a small amount for ceremony in public park, a friend who is "ordained" via the web is officiating, having small restaurant meal for immediate family and participants, having larger potluck reception for friends at her house a couple of weekends later, bought really attractive and inexpensive artificial flowers via etsy and (used) via craigslist, bought cheaper used gown in her style via ebay, making own invitations. Friends are baking cupcakes for the cake. She got lots of cool ideas for "do it yourself" weddings off the web.

I did my wedding 15+ years ago in a more inexpensive area for a total of $5000, not including honeymoon. Other hints: was married in church I belonged to, and had appetizer reception (no alcohol) in the church's reception hall for about 70 people. The fees were very low for use; largest expenses were for the food and flowers. If I had it to do over, I would have used less expensive (or used) artificial flowers like my friend and made reception decorations myself ahead of time. Did my own hair and makeup. Had a crafty friend make simple bridesmaids dresses as her present to me and that was my present to the bridesmaids. Lady who baked cakes out of her house make the cake for less than $100--it was delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia