Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM

199 posts, read 672,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Another idea: Get legally married at city hall the day before the wedding. That's a lot less expensive than hiring an official person to to come to your wedding ceremony. Since you will be legally married, you can then have a friend (or someone else who's special to you) perform a fancier ceremony in front of your family and friends the next day. Your friend would probably be very honored by this, and it could be a very touching and personal ceremony.
Your friend can legally marry you for less than $50 in most of VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammann View Post
Your friend can legally marry you for less than $50 in most of VA.
While this is absolutely true (we had a friend marry us), the law requires a judge to sign off, and each county processes this request a little differently. (Fairfax, for example, has an online application; but in Richmond, you have to find your own judge.)

Please note that you follow the requirements for the county in which the "officiant" lives. It doesn't matter where you live or where the wedding is (as long as the wedding is in Virginia. Also, this process can take time, so please plan accordingly - it is not a last-minute solution.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
How cool is this! I had no idea it was so easy/inexpensive to have a friend perform the ceremony in VA.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
I did my formal/large wedding (125 people) for just under $5000 and have helped several people do the same. It takes you and your friends/family helping with decorating/bouquets (craft store, Michaels makes cheap flower arrangements/bouquets), and going cheap on a DJ, photographer (would definitely splurge on someone other than family, unless you have seen that they are capable of taking quality photos). That is the one thing I was cheap on, and regret. I had my wedding in a church for a small $100 donation (for organist) and $200 for a clergy. I didn't decorate the chruch other than a few candles and bows, (they usually have some decor) and my reception was at an American Legion with a large banquet room. The food was prepared there by the ladies of the auxilary and was only about $12 a person (delicious), of which I pre-paid for tea, coffee, keg of beer, and wine (alcohol was cash bar but cheap drinks@ $1.50). My wedding dress was off the rack from JC Penny for $389 and very formal, and many places sell them for that price range. My suggestion is to venture out into the suburbs out of the city for cheaper prices. It definitely can be done! Good luck

Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,050 times
The Burke Fire Station has a nice hall that you can rent for about $900. The fire station was rebuilt from the ground up a few years back so it has a new facility that actually does really good business by renting out to people for weddings. good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 AM

7 posts, read 9,199 times
I would totally rent OneNest, have friends bring food and drinks to share, do simple flowers and stay remain at OneNest for the honeymoon! Totally do-able for under 5k. I have been there and it is stunning and so romantic! Only one hour west of DC. See link below.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1998081?s=c4O1

Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM

91 posts, read 111,483 times
I'm sorry, we were pretty frugal and it still cost us 10,000 for everything five years ago when things were even lesser expensive then now- 2k for the rings, 8k for the wedding. We had about 50-60 people and no honeymoon. We had 20k and we could only do two of the three options- wedding, honeymoon, or set some aside for a house down payment. The husband wanted the wedding, the wife wanted the house down payment. Yes, you have that right... It was the husband While it was a nice day it was just that, a day. To add on all the really good advice everyone has given here I would suggest checking out pinterest for inexpensive wedding ideas. Good luck in your adventures!

Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,306 times
Psst...this thread is from 2012. This wedding has already happened.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 AM

91 posts, read 111,483 times
What can I say, next time I'll get my coffee before I open the laptop

Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Psst...this thread is from 2012. This wedding has already happened.
It was bumped by someone to promote their own facility. That post has apparently been removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia