Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM

7 posts, read 95,015 times

Advertisements

Getting a bit discouraged here in NoVA...my budget is $5,000 max - and I mean that is for everything - rings, cake, dress, flowers, honeymoon, renting an officiator, venue, food, you name it. Any more than that, and I'm going into debt, which I don't want to do! I've done some searching, but I am not having any luck staying within my budget, and quite honestly I am so overwhelmed by everything that's involved I don't even know where to start. An all-inclusive venue would be ideal; that way, most everything is arranged and included in a package. I just want a simple, nice venue, low-key, about 50-60 people max. Does anyone know of maybe a relatively ok hotel that would handle the details without breaking the bank? Obviously hiring a wedding planner is out. Looking at late spring early summer 2012. Trying to avoid just going to the Justice of the Peace as this is my first wedding. Can anyone offer up a gem of a venue that even closely fits this bill? A destination wedding is not really an option. Thanks for any help you can provide...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 04:25 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
I cannot think of anywhere to have a wedding/reception for 50-60 people on that budget. I think it is totally unrealistic. In order to stick to a $5,000 budget to include all that you want, it really needs to be simple affair in someone's backyard or a public park. I'm sorry but that is just the reality of things. Most places (hotels, and the like) will charge you just for the use of their space and that doesn't even include the food, tables, etc.

If you don't know someone with a space, your next check is going to be in a church hall, a VFW hall, firehouse, that sort of thing.

And while you cannot afford a wedding planner, do you have a good friend or relative who would just enjoy helping you organize such a thing?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareone0 View Post
Getting a bit discouraged here in NoVA...my budget is $5,000 max - and I mean that is for everything - rings, cake, dress, flowers, honeymoon, renting an officiator, venue, food, you name it. Any more than that, and I'm going into debt, which I don't want to do! I've done some searching, but I am not having any luck staying within my budget, and quite honestly I am so overwhelmed by everything that's involved I don't even know where to start. An all-inclusive venue would be ideal; that way, most everything is arranged and included in a package. I just want a simple, nice venue, low-key, about 50-60 people max. Does anyone know of maybe a relatively ok hotel that would handle the details without breaking the bank? Obviously hiring a wedding planner is out. Looking at late spring early summer 2012. Trying to avoid just going to the Justice of the Peace as this is my first wedding. Can anyone offer up a gem of a venue that even closely fits this bill? A destination wedding is not really an option. Thanks for any help you can provide...
If you are planning a traditional wedding as you describe (flowers, honeymoon, cake, etc.), then forget it. You can't do it. I would suggest, if you are able, getting married a relative or friend's home, having a "potluck" reception, and doing the decorations yourself. You'll probably have more fun and less problems than trying to use a caterer and official venue.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,167 times
St. Anthony

Have you heard of St. Anthonys bridal? They might be able to lend you a wedding gown and other things you will need for a budget wedding.

St. Anthony (http://www.stanthonysbridal.com/St_Anthonys_Bridal_a_501c3_Organization/qualify.html - broken link)

Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 95,015 times
I was afraid of that - so I guess it'll be my challenge to make it work! Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:45 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Just go to a JP and have a bbq, whatever, down the road.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
If you're anywhere near Fair Oaks, the Hilton Garden Inn has a room and caterer. It opens to a nice little courtyard for outside pictures. Not super fancy but could easily handle that number of people. It sits pretty far back off Route 50, so it's fairly quiet.

Best Wishes.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Here's an example of a relatively inexpensive venue that is tailor made for smaller weddings: Hollin Hall Weddings - Rates .

You'll see that the regular price during peak season is just over half of your budget. If you were willing to shift your wedding date to the winter, you could save a signficant amount. That may apply to a lot of other venues as well.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:10 PM

810 posts, read 1,025,186 times
I had my wedding ceremony at Wakefield Chapel - $525
Historic Properties Rental Services: Wakefield Chapel

I also had wedding service from Waterfront Wedding Services - $275
Waterfront Wedding Services Home Page

My wedding was smaller though, I had only like 20 people at the wedding

I had my reception at China Garden, went to a Korean place (forgot the name) for the hair/make up service and outfit/wedding dress rental in Annandale. As for decorations and invitations/etc, we did all the work ourselves, mainly did all the shopping from Michaels. Ordered wedding cake from a Korean bakery, and had a friend to take all the photos.

It was all easily way under $5000. If you're willing to do all the work yourself (it is quite stressful, but will save you money), it's definitely possible. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2012, 06:15 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Use the search function on here with "wedding" and I think you'll find some suggestions. Someone once recommended this place in Manassas. It doesn't have prices, but you can call to find out: Welcome to Anthony's Restaurant

If that doesn't work, see if you can just get a private room at a restaurant - assuming you won't be doing dancing/dj. Or, check out a church's function hall. Then you can do something more casual. Day weddings are usually cheaper. Good luck. And congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia