Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,469,646 times

Advertisements

xleyxashx,

There are several great rescue organizations in this area. Three are Homeward Trails, SPCANova, and Tails High.

I strongly recommend, if you want kittens or young cats, that you adopt two of them. They need the stimulation of another cat and generally are happier. You will see more explanation of this on most rescue orgs.' websites.

Kitten season starts in a few months, so I would also recommend that you wait a little while so that you will have greater selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
xleyxashx,

There are several great rescue organizations in this area. Three are Homeward Trails, SPCANova, and Tails High.

I strongly recommend, if you want kittens or young cats, that you adopt two of them. They need the stimulation of another cat and generally are happier. You will see more explanation of this on most rescue orgs.' websites.

Kitten season starts in a few months, so I would also recommend that you wait a little while so that you will have greater selection.
We once "adopted" two free kittens from a couple in Arlington, both males. The two kittens were as companionable as could be. Three days later, the woman called and said she'd inadvertently given us a kitten that her brother had already picked out, and that she was coming over right away to "swap" kittens. You can see where this is going - the two kittens we ended up with, still both males, fought non-stop with each other from the moment they were together in our house.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it might have had something to do with the fact that one of them had been on the scene longer than the other. So, if you do adopt two kittens, get them both at the same time (and don't answer your phone when someone proposes a kitten swap)!

Last edited by JD984; 02-13-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,967,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Another reason some people are reluctant to go to a "rescue" organization is that some of them go way beyond due dilligence in screening potential adopters, to the degree that people get fed up and go to a breeder. This article from Slate Magazine I thought was very eye-opening.

Good luck in your search!
The good news is there are dozens (literally) of good organizations and shelters locally, so you can pick from one whose policies you are comfortable with.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The good news is there are dozens (literally) of good organizations and shelters locally, so you can pick from one whose policies you are comfortable with.
I'm sure there must be some good ones not populated by crazy people, but seriously, how do you suss them out? How do you find the ones that aren't full of bitter old misanthropes who will disqualify you because you have a job? Or will insist on the right to drop by any time to make sure you're not waterboarding your new kitten? I truly would like to know.

We adopted our dog from an individual we found on Craigslist who was moving overseas, but it's hard to do that, because the "rescuers" flag the ads that aren't from other "rescuers."

Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there must be some good ones not populated by crazy people, but seriously, how do you suss them out? How do you find the ones that aren't full of bitter old misanthropes who will disqualify you because you have a job? Or will insist on the right to drop by any time to make sure you're not waterboarding your new kitten? I truly would like to know.

We adopted our dog from an individual we found on Craigslist who was moving overseas, but it's hard to do that, because the "rescuers" flag the ads that aren't from other "rescuers."
To be honest, I've never run into the type you describe. I've adopted from one shelter, and volunteered with 3 different rescues in the area. All of them have done a phone interview/vet reference/home visit (heck, I've been the person to DO a lot of the home visits), but the philosophy is "See if there is anything in this house that could change to insure the dog/cat is able to stay there forever". For example, at one house I told the guy he needed to get all his home office stuff off the floor or behind closed doors. The shredder on the floor was a bad idea. At most houses, I suggested good areas to contain the pet during the day, or suggestions on how to puppy proof a room. I'm looking for blatant red flags (mangy animals, ridiculously obese/starved animals, dirty/dangerous living conditions). I've never once reported that anyone should not get the dog.

None of the rescues or shelters has ever stated they can drop by unannounced to check on you. Or heck, check in at all. They've all said that in the event you can no longer keep the animal, they want it back (which prevents it from going to a kill shelter or an improper home).

I guess if I was worried about a rescue's policies, I'd ask to see a copy of the adoption contract/application. Many rescues have this posted on their website, and I don't know any reason why a decent rescue wouldn't be willing to share that with you.

The only rescue I don't like in this area is the opposite of intrusive--they will give a dog sight unseen to just about anyone. They do vet checks and home visits and such, but they send you home with a dog the day it gets off the transport from North Carolina, never having been in a foster home. If it doesn't work with your family, too bad, you adopted it. They want it back, of course, but they don't refund your fee, even if you decide within 24 hours that it's not a good fit.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 PM

384 posts, read 1,031,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
We once "adopted" two free kittens from a couple in Arlington, both males. The two kittens were as companionable as could be. Three days later, the woman called and said she'd inadvertently given us a kitten that her brother had already picked out, and that she was coming over right away to "swap" kittens. You can see where this is going - the two kittens we ended up with, still both males, fought non-stop with each other from the moment they were together in our house.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it might have had something to do with the fact that one of them had been on the scene longer than the other. So, if you do adopt two kittens, get them both at the same time (and don't answer your phone when someone proposes a kitten swap)!
This is like a tale of two kitties. My gosh, that kitten swapper lady sounds crazy!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
To be honest, I've never run into the type you describe. I've adopted from one shelter, and volunteered with 3 different rescues in the area. All of them have done a phone interview/vet reference/home visit (heck, I've been the person to DO a lot of the home visits), but the philosophy is "See if there is anything in this house that could change to insure the dog/cat is able to stay there forever". For example, at one house I told the guy he needed to get all his home office stuff off the floor or behind closed doors. The shredder on the floor was a bad idea. At most houses, I suggested good areas to contain the pet during the day, or suggestions on how to puppy proof a room. I'm looking for blatant red flags (mangy animals, ridiculously obese/starved animals, dirty/dangerous living conditions). I've never once reported that anyone should not get the dog.
Sounds fair. Don't get me wrong; I'm all about making sure the adopters aren't animal abusers (or as I call them, "death penalty justifications"). But then you read about these bad experiences it seems like a lot of people have had.

If we ever are in a position to adopt a dog again, we're comin' to you!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
If we ever are in a position to adopt a dog again, we're comin' to you!
And I'd be happy to recommend you

Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,446,179 times
I'm chiming in on the recommendation of getting two kittens so they have company. We've done that twice, well once really. The first set of sibs came from the animal shelter and lived to 13 and 14 years old. Then we adopted one from the shelter with the plan to get another, instead we got a "package" deal - she was pregnant! We ended up keeping two of the four kittens and while mom only lived to about age 9, the two sibs just celebrated their 16th birthdays. In other words, you are in for the long run, but they are fun, and do well keeping each company.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM

948 posts, read 1,407,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
xleyxashx,

I wholeheartedly second ACWhite's recommendation of SPCANova, and support this group with a yearly donation. The best cat I ever had came from them, an affectionate "80 percent Maine Coon" (to judge by his appearance and behavior) whom I got as an ten-week old kitten. I think the fact that he was raised with the rest of his littermates in a volunteer's house (SOP for the group) really made a difference in his personality and temperment. SPCANova does have a few requirements such as neutering and no declawing, a questionaire for prospective donors, and a fee -- all of which in my opinion are reasonable. They will, however, require you to adopt two kittens rather than one so that the kittens have each other for company.

You can check out the organization at www.spcanova.org. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia