Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,039 times

Advertisements

Macys. Great sales and great delivery. I've bought at least 4 mattress sets from them and they've been great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I have purchased mattresses from Bloomingdale's with no problems, for a department store purchase. I steer clear of any of the "mattress store" type places, unless it's a store for a specific brand of mattress. I have also purchased from Brookstone with no problems.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-14-2012, 07:06 AM

301 posts, read 691,309 times
Buying a mattress from Sleepy's or Mattress Warehouse/Discounters is like buying a used car. Actually, buying a used car is probably more pleasant and transparent than buying a mattress from these stores.

We shopped at all these places when we bought our mattress a few years ago and we ended up going with Sears (which was a pretty good experience).

Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Costco. But bring your own truck or ask a friend or hire someone.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
I've bought mattresses from Macys and Havertys. Both mattresses turned out OK and the delivery people were saints. I have stairs that have the equivalent of a tight L turn. Somehow those wonderful delivery people made it up the stairs!

Another vote for "Macy's".

Old 02-14-2012, 10:22 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
My wife is bugging me to get a new bed and I DREAD it. I'm the total opposite of a mattress connoisseur and I frankly can't understand the fuss people go to over a dang bed. If it's more comfortable than the floor, I'm happy!

I HATE a new bed because I get so used to the old one and hate the "break-in period" on a new one....that's when I don't sleep well. I feel like I'm sleepin' in a hotel or something...

I've read that it's next to impossible to compare beds because they are often made specially for a particular retailer....but carry the same brand name, model, etc. Any truth to that?

When the wife finally beats me down and we go bed shopping....I'm just going to keep my big mouth shut...except to agree with her!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
My wife is bugging me to get a new bed and I DREAD it. I'm the total opposite of a mattress connoisseur and I frankly can't understand the fuss people go to over a dang bed. If it's more comfortable than the floor, I'm happy!

I HATE a new bed because I get so used to the old one and hate the "break-in period" on a new one....that's when I don't sleep well. I feel like I'm sleepin' in a hotel or something...

I've read that it's next to impossible to compare beds because they are often made specially for a particular retailer....but carry the same brand name, model, etc. Any truth to that?

When the wife finally beats me down and we go bed shopping....I'm just going to keep my big mouth shut...except to agree with her!
Yes, it's true. There will be the same bed in 10 different places with 10 different names.

I hate the break in period too. I feel like I don't sleep well for weeks.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

It's totally true - when we bought our bed we spend a month or two writing down all the detailed descriptions of the beds so we could get some kind of comparison between stores. Finally we bought a Simmon Beautyrest (no pillow top) from one of the big mattress places, Discounters or Warehouse I think, that was priced more or less the same as all the others. We love the mattress, but would never dream of trying to return it or something - I'm sure that would be impossible, warranty or no warranty.

Right now we need a mattress for our son's bed, though, and don't want to spend that much. I was thinking about Ikea - has anyone tried that?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
It's totally true - when we bought our bed we spend a month or two writing down all the detailed descriptions of the beds so we could get some kind of comparison between stores. Finally we bought a Simmon Beautyrest (no pillow top) from one of the big mattress places, Discounters or Warehouse I think, that was priced more or less the same as all the others. We love the mattress, but would never dream of trying to return it or something - I'm sure that would be impossible, warranty or no warranty.

Right now we need a mattress for our son's bed, though, and don't want to spend that much. I was thinking about Ikea - has anyone tried that?
Both my kids (who are actually 17 and 20) have Ikea Mattresses. They feel good in the store but neither of them have been pleased with them long-term. My son constantly says how much better my Stearns and Foster mattress feels to him and when my DD got her own place at school, I bought her a non-Ikea mattress and she prefers it over the Ikea one. I didn't even buy cheap ones at Ikea. I won't say they are bad or crappy but, to them, they don't feel as good as the usual mattresses.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Once again, thanks for all of the information. I think I'll be heading to the dpartment or furniture stores, and not the discount places.

Has anyone had good luch in returning a mattress? I see Bloomingdales has an excellent "Comfort Guarantee" policy; where you can exchange your mattress in the first 6 months, and you only pay the difference in mattress price plus 10% of the original purchase price (up to $250).

Comfort Guarantee | Home - Mattress Buying Guide - Bloomingdale's

do other stores have similar policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia