Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 5,218 times

Advertisements

I'm another victim of the DC photo enforced speeding ticket scam for commuters. I received 3 tickets going 61, 59, 63 in a 50mph zone on 295N just north of the Wilson bridge prior to exit 1. The scam is an old story: change the speed limit from 55 to 50 and photo cars speeding as they pass the 50mph sign. The warning of photo enforcement is about 1/2 mile ahead. This was a mobile speed trap and I, along woth thousands like me no doubt, have been commuting on this route for many years. This is nothing but a commuter tax, as has been noted by many people over the years.

OK, the Virginia DMV reciprocates with the DC DMV so you are forced to pay the fine, and legal action seems far fetched - the car was speeding.

But there is something we can do. Boycott DC businesses, all of them. Boycott DC restaurants. Boycott DC events. Perhaps if DC businesses starts losing the money the DC government is stealing from us, there will be a change of heart.

Join me. Stop the DC photo scam commuter tax. Boycott DC!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,341,663 times
How about finding a job on the conservative side town.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,085,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp View Post
I'm another victim of the DC photo enforced speeding ticket scam for commuters. I received 3 tickets going 61, 59, 63 in a 50mph zone on 295N just north of the Wilson bridge prior to exit 1. The scam is an old story: change the speed limit from 55 to 50 and photo cars speeding as they pass the 50mph sign. The warning of photo enforcement is about 1/2 mile ahead. This was a mobile speed trap and I, along worth thousands like me no doubt, have been commuting on this route for many years. This is nothing but a commuter tax, as has been noted by many people over the years.
Even at a 55 speed limit you were still speeding ...
How far before the speed reduction is the sign regarding the speed reduction?
Are you related to Soviet?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,961,890 times
Quote:
I received 3 tickets going 61, 59, 63 in a 50mph zone on 295N just north of the Wilson bridge prior to exit 1. The scam is an old story: change the speed limit from 55 to 50
Like the previous poster said...even if the speed limit was 55, you were still speeding.

I might have sympathy for it happening once, but wouldn't you learn to slow down after that point?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,441,030 times
I was under the impression that you had to be exceeding the speed limit by a certain MPH before the cameras caught you. Is that not correct?

Out of curiousity, if one is going 5MPH over the speed limit, would they get a ticket?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,341,663 times
spray your license plate with hairspray or put a dark cover on it. Maybe the penalty for the dark license plate cover is cheaper than getting the speeding ticket.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,646,280 times
The warning of photo enforcement is about 1/2 mile a in bright yellow sign ahead and yet it never dawn on you to slow down? The camera sits right in front of the jersey barrier past the weight station. You can't miss it. Google Maps

I drive through there often to and never received a speed ticket. Just slow down....what's so complicated about that? If you're running late, that's your problem. It's drivers like you that encourage DC to add more speed cameras.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,218 times
Smile I'm not looking for sympathy

Apparently, people do not drive on the DC beltway. Driving 59, 61, or 63 in a 55 on the DC beltway is slow, way slower than typical speeds, and "speeding" at this level is never enforced.

This is purely a money making exercise for DC.

As a matter of interest, all the infractions occurred before I received a mail notification - clearly, once I became aware of the speed trap, I stopped cooperating with the photo scam speed trap. Based on my experience, I think the threshold for the trap is 5mph over the speed limit.

But I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm looking for support to convince the DC government to change their policies. Join the boycott!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,961,890 times
Quote:
But I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm looking for support to convince the DC government to change their policies. Join the boycott!
But...I like speed cameras.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,396,396 times
Quote:
Apparently, people do not drive on the DC beltway. Driving 59, 61, or 63 in a 55 on the DC beltway is slow, way slower than typical speeds, and "speeding" at this level is never enforced.

This is purely a money making exercise for DC.

As a matter of interest, all the infractions occurred before I received a mail notification - clearly, once I became aware of the speed trap, I stopped cooperating with the photo scam speed trap. Based on my experience, I think the threshold for the trap is 5mph over the speed limit.

I295 is NOT the DC beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia