Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,621 times

Advertisements

I need help please!!!!
I am moving to D.C area. My husband is going to work on D.C east side next to veterans hospital. I have a elementary school children. I need to know which of this to places (Chavy Chase MD or McLean VA) is better to live for a family. It is important public schools and really nice place to live.
Thank you

Posted in Uncategorized
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1975 View Post
I need help please!!!!
I am moving to D.C area. My husband is going to work on D.C east side next to veterans hospital. I have a elementary school children. I need to know which of this to places (Chavy Chase MD or McLean VA) is better to live for a family. It is important public schools and really nice place to live.
Thank you

Posted in Uncategorized
It's not like there's a single answer. They are both nice places to live with good schools. Chevy Chase would almost surely be an easier commute, though, to that part of DC.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,914 times
I really like Chevy Chase. It is a much older suburb than McLean with very attractive late 19th century and early 20th century homes. Parts Chevy Chase MD or nearby Bethesda have very "walkable" neighborhoods (to shops, cafes, schools, metrorail).

McLean is attractive, but in a much different way. Parts of McLean have an almost rural feel as opposed to the more classic suburban street grid in Chevy Chase. McLean is more automobile oriented.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
I would add that I think McLean covers more territory than Chevy Chase, and there are more homes in different price ranges there than in CC. Houses in our McLean neighborhood have a higher WalkScore than many parts of CC, but there are other McLean neighborhoods where you would rely on a car to get anywhere and CC is definitely one of the few suburbs in the DC area that feels more like a traditional "streetcar suburb."

The comment that no one has made yet is that there may be other places you'd want to consider. People who look at McLean often also look at Arlington, Vienna and Falls Church, while people who look at CC often look at Bethesda as well. In addition, Silver Spring, MD is more affordable than CC and even closer to the section of DC where I understand your spouse will be working.

Last edited by JD984; 02-25-2012 at 07:53 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I like the fact that Chevy Chase was named after a comedian.

Ok, but seriously: It is really charming. McLean is nice too, but it does have (as others have said) a different feel from CC, since it was built out later.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM

59 posts, read 149,976 times
Both CC and Mclean are part of top public school systems in MD and VA respectively. You may wanna read up on the politics of both states and go from there. VA is more conservative than MD. That could mean anything depends on what's important to you. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia