Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM

295 posts, read 659,975 times

Advertisements

You may want to consider the Crystal City/Pentagon City area. While it is not the most exciting part of Arlington, it offers convenience and lower rents than both the Orange Line area and Old Town Alexandria. It is right next to the Metro and Alexandria is next door. However, getting to the Ballston/Courthouse area by Metro involves a transfer and there is always some sort of track work on weekends. If you have a car, then you can quickly get all around NOVA and the District. There are a lot of people in their 20's and 30's living around here, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
2K a month in rent on a 1 bedroom apt is fine, but I'm referring to purchasing anything larger than a 1 bedroom condo. A decent 2 bedroom condo within walking distance of a Metro that isn't someone's damp, converted basement is going to run you at least 450-500K plus condo fees. Then you're looking at over 3K a month with mortgage, fees and utilities. Factor other bills and 401K contributions, you're going to be spending 50-60% of your take-home on housing. While that's possible, I don't want to be house poor like I was when I just graduated college.

It is indeed the rare 20something who is prepared to buy along "Orange Line" Arlington...but we are now focusing on a 30something who is just looking to rent at the moment in an active area while she gets her proverbial feet wet.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
You may want to consider the Crystal City/Pentagon City area. While it is not the most exciting part of Arlington, it offers convenience and lower rents than both the Orange Line area and Old Town Alexandria. It is right next to the Metro and Alexandria is next door. However, getting to the Ballston/Courthouse area by Metro involves a transfer and there is always some sort of track work on weekends. If you have a car, then you can quickly get all around NOVA and the District. There are a lot of people in their 20's and 30's living around here, too.
I should probably recommend this area more than I do but I don't get to pass through it as often as I'd like. I did notice that Crystal City has some interesting nooks in it, particularly the restaurants and such on 23rd St.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 PM

295 posts, read 659,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I should probably recommend this area more than I do but I don't get to pass through it as often as I'd like. I did notice that Crystal City has some interesting nooks in it, particularly the restaurants and such on 23rd St.
Yes, next to 23rd St. there's a walkable neighborhood called Aurora Highlands that has older single-family homes and garden apartments, with plenty of greenery, so it's not all concrete canyons. You can find mom and pop restaurants there, too, with good Asian and Indian food.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,674 times
Orange Line progression:
1. Room with someone (either a roommate or a SO) after college
2. Buy a 1-2BR condo after you get married (28-32) This step is optional
3. Buy a TH/SFH Lyon Village, Cherrydale, Bluemont, etc. after you have a second kid (35-40), or move further out (Falls Church, Vienna, McLean, Springfield, or Ashburn are all favorites) depending on your need for a forever house and where your jobs actually are.

Step 3 may be replaced with "go back home to <fill in the blank>" or "whine about how everyone here is so busy and mean."

Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,239,768 times
Alexandria - including Old Town - has plenty of people in their 30's. It is not all 40 - 60 year olds. I don't see what would be gained by living outside of Alexandria for a job in Alexandria, unless saving money was the deciding factor.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM

107 posts, read 154,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modd777 View Post
thank u to all that have replied,this is helpful. I guess i didn't realize that 34 was considered "old" as some have suggested on here.
And I also didn't think a 34-year old would not want be with people in their 40's.

I guess I am elderly because I am 45, so take this with a grain of salt, but I live in Old Town and find it a lot of fun. I can't imagine why someone would want to commute to Alexandria from Arlington. I wish I worked in Alexandria.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM

939 posts, read 1,895,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
Yes, next to 23rd St. there's a walkable neighborhood called Aurora Highlands that has older single-family homes and garden apartments, with plenty of greenery, so it's not all concrete canyons. You can find mom and pop restaurants there, too, with good Asian and Indian food.

There are some cool condo buildings there, and it has a very urban feel. It's right across the river, has two metro stops and has the GW trail going right next to it. I liken it to a cleaner downtown DC feel, but with less to do at night. I think it's the ultimate compromise between Old Town and N. Arlington . If you take the blue line, it goes straight to Rosslyn, where you can walk across the bridge to Georgetown, or it's just a transfer to the orange line and you're two stops away from downtown Arlington. I've been waiting for something to pop up there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia