Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM

947 posts, read 1,406,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhammack View Post
I am so confused right now! My family is going to be moving to the DC area within the next month or so, and every time we think we have found the right spot to live, new info comes up! I will be working in Tysons Corner/McLean and DH will be going into DC for work We have two kids, and the oldest is going to be starting school this fall, so schools are VERY important to us. We need to find a great family neighborhood with less than a 1 hour commute for me and near public transportation for the hubs. At first we were thinking about Reston/Herndon, but then someone told us that it was getting a lot of gang activity. Then we were thinking Ashburn, but there really isn't anything in our budget there. I think Leesburg is too far for me(?). There are some decent homes within our budget (350-375K) in Fairfax/Alexandria/Springfield, but we know nothing about what subdivisions are nice/safe, etc. Someone please give us some guidance or we will end up living in our car because we can't make a decision!!!!
Take that information with a grain of salt. Not to say that there isn't some gang presence in either place, but unless you're living in the 'hood or on the wrong side of the tracks, it won't be a factor. I've been in a middle-class neighborhood in Reston more than a dozen years, and never seen any gang activity in my area, any of the neighborhood shopping centers, or Reston Town Center. And the Fairfax County police don't mess around, either.

If you find something in either Reston or Herndon within your budget and desired commuting time, don't cross it off your list just because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,355,991 times
You could get a pretty nice townhome for that price range. A SFH w/ 3bdr. is probably attainable in the low 400s. A house down the street from us sold for just over $405k in January. Brick, 3 bedrooms, and updated in W. Springfield zip 22152. I think it was a good buy.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 6,829 times
Thanks for all the great information! Those crime maps really helped put things in perspective. Now I'll toss another wrench in the works....the DH just brought Rockville, MD into the mix. I initially said no way, since I will be working in VA, but there are some nice homes in our price range and the schools are good. Anybody got 2 cents on this? What would that commute be like?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,832,278 times
Rockville to Tysons is not a pleasant commute. Although, when they finish with the hot lanes, it may get better. I did the reverse (Tysons to Rockville) which is preferable. Some depends on where in Rockville and where in Tysons. Living deep into Rockville Pike with traffic to get to the beltway is not fun. I'd allow an hour for that commute. Rockville to DC can be fine, depending on where in DC. The red line of the Metro has a few stops in Rockville (Grosvenor, White Flint, Twinbrook, Shady Grove), so if he will work near the red line in DC, it's a pretty decent commute by train.

Schools vary in Rockville. Some parts are higher-income than others, and the schools are, too, accordingly. If you have specific questions, you can ask on the Maryland board (the subsection for DC suburbs)

Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,327,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Rockville to Tysons is not a pleasant commute. Although, when they finish with the hot lanes, it may get better. I did the reverse (Tysons to Rockville) which is preferable. Some depends on where in Rockville and where in Tysons. Living deep into Rockville Pike with traffic to get to the beltway is not fun. I'd allow an hour for that commute. Rockville to DC can be fine, depending on where in DC. The red line of the Metro has a few stops in Rockville (Grosvenor, White Flint, Twinbrook, Shady Grove), so if he will work near the red line in DC, it's a pretty decent commute by train.

Schools vary in Rockville. Some parts are higher-income than others, and the schools are, too, accordingly. If you have specific questions, you can ask on the Maryland board (the subsection for DC suburbs)
Might be decent once the HOT lanes are done, but who knows how much it will cost. Varying tolls might maintain a 55mph speed at all times, but it may also end up costing 10 bucks.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM

175 posts, read 438,777 times
Fairfax county is know for the quality of their public schools. I have heard from friends that Rockville schools very a great deal.

Best of Luck

Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 6,521 times
Here is my two cents and I'm new to this board. If your husband is working in DC and near a metro then I really suggest you find something close to a metro bus if money is an issue. Most places near metro stations are going to be much much higher. I'd say 100-150k more then those who are not on the line.

I'm in the process of buying a Townhouse in the Nauck Community in Arlington. Supposedly a "VERY" dangerous neighborhood. In reality it's really a misconception, but hey people's misconception is my gain.

But if I were you and your husband. I'd look at West/East falls church and Merrifield. Commuting can be horrendous in the DC area.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,592,908 times
Quote:
Rockville to Tysons is not a pleasant commute. Although, when they finish with the hot lanes, it may get better.
The HOT lanes will run from springfield to Tysons, so I am not sure how they would help a MoCo to Tysons commute. They COULD make the commute from Annandale/Burke/Springfield (and points south of Springfield) much better. I dont think I could suggest Rockville over southern fairfax for those commute locations, unless said family was Jewish, or had other non commute/price reasons to choose MoCo.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:52 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,832,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The HOT lanes will run from springfield to Tysons, so I am not sure how they would help a MoCo to Tysons commute. They COULD make the commute from Annandale/Burke/Springfield (and points south of Springfield) much better. I dont think I could suggest Rockville over southern fairfax for those commute locations, unless said family was Jewish, or had other non commute/price reasons to choose MoCo.
No, the HOT lanes run up to the Dulles Toll Road. Traffic from there down through 123 is horrendous during all of this construction. Once the construction stops, I imagine it will make the commute from Rockville to Tyson's easier.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:56 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,592,908 times
Quote:
No, the HOT lanes run up to the Dulles Toll Road. Traffic from there down through 123 is horrendous during all of this construction. Once the construction stops, I imagine it will make the commute from Rockville to Tyson's easier.

ok, sure. I think of the toll road exit from the beltway as part of Tysons. And I thought the horrible commute being referred to was the entire drive from 270 across the legion bridge and to Tysons. Agreed that for someone commuting to say, rte 7 and the beltway, the completion of construction between 267 and 7 should help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia