Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM

160 posts, read 279,421 times

Advertisements

It's more like GS9 + GS9 = GS14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 AM

146 posts, read 343,534 times
Don't neglect those nickels and dimes going out either. My husband takes his own coffee to work. A co worker said, "That seems like a lot of effort to save $2." His reply, "$2 a day is $10 a week and $520 a year." My point is that the little things really add up if its a habit.
Learning to cook is a great idea-cooking for one is very difficult. Invest in some high quality freezer containers and buy and cook in bulk, portioning everything out so you don't end up eating the same thing 5 days in a row.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmadhel View Post
Don't neglect those nickels and dimes going out either. My husband takes his own coffee to work. A co worker said, "That seems like a lot of effort to save $2." His reply, "$2 a day is $10 a week and $520 a year." My point is that the little things really add up if its a habit.Learning to cook is a great idea-cooking for one is very difficult. Invest in some high quality freezer containers and buy and cook in bulk, portioning everything out so you don't end up eating the same thing 5 days in a row.
This is good advice -- the "little things" (i.e., coffee, a newspaper, that morning croissant, etc.) -- all add up. I bought a thermos specifically for carrying coffee -- slim, stainless steel, and fits right into a backpack.

Also would like to add: watch the recreation/entertainment factor.

Going out with friends is fine, but it can become very expensive with drinks being the worst culprit.

if you do go out, opt for a smaller meal, like something off the appetizer list instead of a full entree. Drink water with your meal instead of paying for a drink (better for digestion anyway). Pass on eating at a sit-down restaurant with co-workers; instead, pack a lunch and eat outside under a tree or in a park.

Don't pay full price at a movie theater. Go to a matinee instead. Better yet, see what the $2 Theatre is playing, get a movie from Red Box, or check out a DVD from your local library (which is free!).

Walk if you can, instead of driving your car.

Look for free activities -- Smithsonian, festivals and fairs, etc.

You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders with all this. Good luck with everything -- I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
This is good advice -- the "little things" (i.e., coffee, a newspaper, that morning croissant, etc.) -- all add up. I bought a thermos specifically for carrying coffee -- slim, stainless steel, and fits right into a backpack.

Also would like to add: watch the recreation/entertainment factor.

Going out with friends is fine, but it can become very expensive with drinks being the worst culprit.

if you do go out, opt for a smaller meal, like something off the appetizer list instead of a full entree. Drink water with your meal instead of paying for a drink (better for digestion anyway). Pass on eating at a sit-down restaurant with co-workers; instead, pack a lunch and eat outside under a tree or in a park.

Don't pay full price at a movie theater. Go to a matinee instead. Better yet, see what the $2 Theatre is playing, get a movie from Red Box, or check out a DVD from your local library (which is free!).

Walk if you can, instead of driving your car.

Look for free activities -- Smithsonian, festivals and fairs, etc.

You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders with all this. Good luck with everything -- I'm sure you'll be fine.
this sounds like a feed the pig commercial. Good advice nonetheless.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
this sounds like a feed the pig commercial. Good advice nonetheless.
What is a "feed the pig commercial"?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
Quote:
What is a "feed the pig commercial"?

Feed the Pig

Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Thanks! I didn't know about this web site. Perhaps it can be helpful to the OP.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Thanks! I didn't know about this web site. Perhaps it can be helpful to the OP.
I'm actually amazed that you didn't know about that site because your advice was almost identical. It's really good information though, I definitely had to do a lot of those things.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I'm actually amazed that you didn't know about that site because your advice was almost identical. It's really good information though, I definitely had to do a lot of those things.
It's actually a mix of stuff I've read in books, magazines, the web, my parents, and of course, personal experience.

Another thing we did to survive on a budget: When we were in college, my roommates and I actually used to go catch our own dinner -- took some crab traps out and the little bit of chicken parts we had left and caught crabs, brought them home, cooked them and ate dinner.

Of course that wouldn't be realistic to tell the OP!
(I wonder if this is on "Feed the Pig"?)

Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
A little info for all.

I just had a preliminary interview for a financial position that well. One problem the starting range for the position is $26-30K. I'm thinking that it may be wise to pass on this one if pay can't be negotiated higher since this position does not have a Bachelor's degree requirement so technically I would be underemployed and other similar banks have paid higher. Heck, I may fetch better value going back to my old employer.

I've done some research and I'm confident about being able to stretch a low salary like $34-37k into a comfortable lifestyle provided I can find a good room situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia