Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 39,472 times

Advertisements

I'm shopping around for loans now to start the first time home buying process and NFCU loans are looking great based on some preapprovals. One concern I've seen noted in other forums is NFCU's strict and/or slow closing process, especially on some of their low down payment products (FHA, HomeBuyers Choice, etc.), which is what we're looking at.

If you have experience as a buyer using NFCU is there anything I should be prepared for during closing when using one of those products?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM

199 posts, read 672,432 times
I had an NFCU loan on my first home. I was happy with them, and liked the fact that they don't sell the loan. When we were buying our new home, I again went to them. We ended up buying a short-sell and the selling bank gave 30 days to close by. Even though we had already given all of our paperwork to NFCU, they said that they could not make that time frame, so we ended up going with someone else. I wouldn't mind refi'ing with them, but the fee's on their conventional loans kill it. 0.75pts plus 1% origination. Their mortgage rates don't change that often, definitely not daily like most places, and they currently have the $2500 towards closing deal. They also offer some products, that not a lot of other places do like 100% financing.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM

373 posts, read 870,033 times
I've used NFCU twice when buying a home. The mortgage broker (not sure what they are really called) was really great and professional. We closed on time. I really like NFCU because you can put down less than 20% and not pay mortgage insurance. I'd go with them again, especially if I had less than a 20% down payment.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM

63 posts, read 220,236 times
I used the Costco.com: Offering thousands of items you won mortgage site, and was really happy with Weststar Mortgage in Woodbridge through Costco. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,907 times
I'll second Weststar through Costco. I just closed on a second refi with them. I have one neighbor who also used them with no probs. And if you go through Costco, the lender fees are capped at $600 for executive members and $750 for regular members.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
We used NFCU for our mortgage 11 years ago and were very happy with them. Then last year, I applied for a home equity line of credit, and I was extremely frustrated with them. They. were. so. slow! I wanted it done in no more than 30 days. The person said she can do them in 15 if the property did not need a full appraisal. It did not. I think it finally closed about 35 days later. Ugh! And I could never call the processor and have her answer the phone. I always got the answering machine, which said she'd call back in 24 hours, which she did. So every time I had a question, I needed to wait a day until she'd answer it. So unacceptable in this day and age!

I have always been a huge NFCU fan, and love that they do not sell their loans, but I was so unhappy with the service and timeline on the HELOC that when I needed a mortgage for my new home, I contacted a friend who is a mortgage broker for a big company. She promised me a quick turnaround time - 21 days if necessary and no more than 30, and they were exactly true to their word. Every time I called the processor, the woman answered the phone on the first ring and answered my questions right away. It was such a breath of fresh air after having dealt with NFCU only months earlier. I hate to say it, but if you're in a rush, don't use them.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 AM

163 posts, read 314,673 times
My wife is a 23 year active duty Navy officer and we have all our accounts (checking, savings, retirement, 529, car loans) with NFCU except the mortgage, if that tells you anything. They were fumbling around with her first mortgage way back when so she went to Countrywide and got it closed in 30 days.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,943 times
I want to refi with NFCU, since I got stuck with BOA. Is it a good ideA?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 PM

199 posts, read 672,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I want to refi with NFCU, since I got stuck with BOA. Is it a good ideA?
I think it depends on what you are looking for. From a service standpoint they are excellent. They will never sell your loan, so you don't have worry where you send your payment changing. If you are looking for some unique loan products they are also good.

If you are looking for a conventional loan with 20% down, I'm not sure their rate/fee structure is as competitive.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 AM

221 posts, read 438,364 times
To the people who are saying they don't sell their loans...NFCU does indeed sell a portion of their mortgage loans to Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae and Ginnie Mae. All major banks/financial institutions do. It's just how it works. Costco probably sells some of their loans too. They make money doing it, and it provides liquidity in the market place for the banks to make more loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: