Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 10:07 AM

177 posts, read 278,648 times

Advertisements

I prefer to live in VA (lower income tax), where to find a cheap apartment(small is fine, as long as it is in a safe area)? I can drive to work or take metro. Not sure about trafic.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,154,954 times
Nowhere close will be safe as well as cheap. What are you looking to spend?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,734,411 times
Traffic on 395N into DC will be horrendous, and I-66 is HOV only during rush hour. Which means you'll be taking Metro (unless you can find a rider going the same way).

Anywhere near a rail station will be expensive. So I would focus on apartments near the bus lines. Look at the west end of Lee Highway, the western end of Wilson Blvd, by Eden Center (both in N. Arlington), or Columbia Pike. Or other locations in South Arlington and Falls Church.

Buses from VA to DC are all safe and reliable--just a bit slow and occasionally crowded (though no more so than the rail cars).

Cheapest of all would be living somewhere way south (like Woodbridge) and taking VRE into town; it goes straight to Union Station.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,183,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Traffic on 395N into DC will be horrendous, and I-66 is HOV only during rush hour. Which means you'll be taking Metro (unless you can find a rider going the same way).

Anywhere near a rail station will be expensive. So I would focus on apartments near the bus lines. Look at the west end of Lee Highway, the western end of Wilson Blvd, by Eden Center (both in N. Arlington), or Columbia Pike. Or other locations in South Arlington and Falls Church.

Buses from VA to DC are all safe and reliable--just a bit slow and occasionally crowded (though no more so than the rail cars).

Cheapest of all would be living somewhere way south (like Woodbridge) and taking VRE into town; it goes straight to Union Station.
Living near a train station is expensive? Never heard that.

You wll be working near Union Station but actually hope to relocate to NOVA, right? What kind of commute can you tolerate? What is your budget ("cheap" is a rather vague, subjective term)? Driving or public transportation? I'd certainly prefer to use Metro rail vs. a bus, but you can end up paying more to be near a Metro rail station. You're getting blanket responses here, of course. Have you started looking at ads, Web sites, checked with a property management company (deals with ren tals )etc? I lived in Silver Spring and commuted by Metro rail to Southwest DC for a few years. I was on the Red Line, so had a straight shot to Union Station, and would not have had to pass through downtown to get there (once, when Metro rail was stopped due to an accident, I took a MARC commuter train to Silver Spring). Arlington would be a bit closer, but I think it would be more expensive. Western end of Lee Highway could take you fairly far away, I would think.

Knowing your exact budget could narrow down the choices.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,321,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Living near a train station is expensive? Never heard that.
I think it was meant to be metro, which is absolutely true. If you are in a TOD area you will pay a premium, but you save the same amount in not having to drive and your returned time.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
The VRE train from Burke or Springifield would place you within proximity of more affordable apartments, when compared with less expensive apartments closer to the city. Do you mind a suburban atmosphere? If not, then living within 5-10 minutes of these stations, in West Springfield and Burke will provide for a safe living environment. Downtown Springfield, closer to the Franconia station, however, has some apartment communities that, while comparatively inexpensive, are not the greatest. However, neighboring Kingstowne has apartments that are a bit less expensive than Arlington and parts of Alexandria, but are not the least expensive options in the area.

A projected rent and apartment size desired can help to narrow areas for you to consider.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,576,113 times
I would ask in the DC forum - if your income is so low that you need someplace so cheap that NoVans dismiss it as unsafe, your income tax probably isnt that high anyway, and the transport savings can be significant. folks in the dc forum will have better details on safety in DC, which changes from year (for the better for the last few years) and is generally not as bad as NoVa people think.

If for whatever reason you insist on the suburbs, I would second looking near a commuter (not metro) rail station, if you work right by Union Station. that could well work for you. In Virginia that would be VRE (you could also look at MARC stations in Maryland)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia