Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:08 PM

177 posts, read 279,049 times

Advertisements

Are those red shaped area safe to live? How about crime rate?

Things to consider for living:
1) Single, no kids, so no worry about school district.
2) Try to have more privacy, so don't wanna share. (own apartment or studio)
3) Entry level job, salary is low, so try to keep rent under 1k per month. At least not exceed too much above 1k. So I think I cannot live too close to DC, since my budget is too low for me to live close to DC.
4) No parking space around office (unless park in garage, but that costs too much), so I have to take metro(preferably living in walking distance around metro station, so that no need to pay parking fee in metro station, or sometime cannot even find a parking space).

Someone suggested me to live far out of DC(lower rent) and take VRE (Rail service in Virginia - VRE), but the commute time costs too much, not worth to do so.

I have another thinking, living close to a bus station (if the bus goes to Union Station frequently).

I know my budget cannot offer too many options for me, but I still try to find a best way within my budget.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM

177 posts, read 279,049 times
Which line should I focus on? Yellow line or blue line? I mean where is bigger chance to find an apartment within my budget?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,734,330 times
Does it have to be in Virginia? How about Maryland in Silver Spring or (perhaps) Takoma Park?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,345,874 times
For the amount of money you'd spend commuting you could rent a studio apartment right near the station and walk. I highly recommend the neighborhood around 2nd and 3rd Streets between E and H streets NE. Lots of young college grads around there and plenty of nice spots to hang out (like Ebenezer's coffee house). They have bike share there and are building a new Giant close by. You wouldn't even need a car as they have zipcars you can rent by the hour or day. If you're single it's ridiculous to live in the burbs and commute in.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,759,845 times
I too would suggest living in DC--specifically, in the NE quadrant, probably (given your budget) above H Street. It's still somewhat sketchy at night, the farther north you go--but during the daytime it's completely fine. The NY Ave Metro is right there, near the ATFE headquarters.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,497,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Does it have to be in Virginia? How about Maryland in Silver Spring or (perhaps) Takoma Park?
Both on the red line, which would make metroing into Union Station much easier. You could live pretty far out in Maryland too, technically as far as Frederick, because the MARC train comes into Union Station every morning.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,497,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I too would suggest living in DC--specifically, in the NE quadrant, probably (given your budget) above H Street. It's still somewhat sketchy at night, the farther north you go--but during the daytime it's completely fine. The NY Ave Metro is right there, near the ATFE headquarters.
Not to alarm the OP, but a fair warning--I go to school in this area and shootings are an everyday occurrence. A friend of mine got sideswiped in the head with a bullet two weeks ago and another friend of mine got mugged on Florida Ave and 6th street (not far from NY Ave metro or H street) ...at 1:40 in the afternoon. Daytime is safer but not safe.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,759,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not to alarm the OP, but a fair warning--I go to school in this area and shootings are an everyday occurrence. A friend of mine got sideswiped in the head with a bullet two weeks ago and another friend of mine got mugged on Florida Ave and 6th street (not far from NY Ave metro or H street) ...at 1:40 in the afternoon. Daytime is safer but not safe.
Wow! I'm actually shocked. Four years ago, when the wife and I moved back to the DC area, I moved in advance of her and stayed with a friend who lives near 6th and M St. NE. Daytime, it was tranquil. Nothing really going on at all. (The people next door did have a pit bull permanently in the front yard, but they were quiet and kept to themselves.)

At night, the only hinky situation I remember was when I once I went for a run and saw a crowd of people gathered around a car--so I just crossed the street.

I wonder if it's actually gotten worse since then.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,472,585 times
In answer to the OP, both of your red areas are VERY safe, but they will probably stretch your budget.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM

8,994 posts, read 21,236,072 times
If you are looking at managed apartment complexes or buildings, my personal recommendation is to look at those 1BRs starting at $1200. Anything less than that which still seems convenient may have some issues with maintenance or general quality of life. Of course, privately-owned apartments may offer a different rental range.

Close to the Huntington Metro, there is the Cityside (formerly Belle Haven Towers) apartments. It is not fancy but it is the most affordable of the high-rises within walking distance or quick bus ride from the Metro.

Nearby Old Town Alexandria is a laid-back if sometimes expensive place to hang out. You'll enjoy walking or biking along the Mt Vernon Trail and admiring the waterfront. Most of your typical midscale retail and restaurant options can be found further down Route 1. If you are tempted to look into the "bargain" garden apartments down there, I would do due diligence. Catching the REX bus to and from Huntington can be a drag.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-20-2012 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia