Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,024,137 times

Advertisements

Been a while since I've ventured out of the sports forum.

Quick question, anyone live in the Mount Vernon Lee District here? You know Huntington, Belle Haven, Groveton, Mount Vernon, Engleside, Woodlawn?

Basically REX country (if you're a townie you know what I am talking about).

Just been noticing the changes happening around the place. Despite the economic hardship, the County still attracts investment and is a vibrant (and convenient) place to live and work and learn and play, really grown to appreciate that recently.

One of the things that's always on peoples mind is transportation and development. Route 1 is the "Main Street" of South County and has prime real estate from Old Town's Borders to the Army Base. I'm sure people know about the BRAC and the resulting traffic woes that will ensue (it's already pretty bad).

Here is an interesting post from the head of the South East County Planning commision about the area; It's strenghts and challenges;

Richmond Highway revitalizing, but many challenges remain - Greater Greater Washington

For the local peeps I have some convo starters;

How would you like to see the area grow and change in general?

What sort of transportation improvements would you like to see done?

What do you normally call the general Route 1 area? (always wondered about this).

Do you think we should unite under one "identity" (not necessarily incorporate as a town, but something like "Tysons" or "Hampton Roads" you know?

---------

For me, I hear "Yellow Line Extention" A LOT, but I doubt people are gonna wanna deal with the traffic disruptions (Route 1 has too many houses that are basicallly curbside now anyway, so people'd have to be REAL open to change).

The planning commision and our district rep Scott Sturovel is trying to get a study done to see what the best options are. Dedicated Bus Lanes or Light Rail would be good, if the money and will would be there.

Also, I've always wondered about the "identity" of the area. When people ask where I live, I say "Alexandria" or "Mount Vernon" or "Pinewood Lake" or "Fairfax County". I think we should kinda unite under a certain name, helps for regional identification (and attracting potential investment costumers, as mentioned in the post).

Naturally, I am biased towards Mount Vernon. It's the major attraction in the area and highlights the (sometimes overlooked) historical signifigance of the area. Any other ideas? I'd be neat if we could make our own flag too, like Hampton Roads got....

Hampton Roads, Virginia (U.S.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 PM

518 posts, read 925,447 times
How would you like to see the area grow and change in general?

Get rid of the access roads, give incentives to old businesses to get a facelift. Do something with the empty/abandoned areas. Such as the old trailer park area between Cherry Arms apartments and Mt. Vernon Square apartments. It has been sitting there undeveloped for 15+ years. Turn it into a park or something. As it stands it is a haven for the homeless.

What sort of transportation improvements would you like to see done?

Bus routes that run further and more frequently into the neighborhoods. For example in some areas of Ft. Hunt/ Mt. Vernon on the weekends you can only catch a bus every 4 or so hours.

What do you normally call the general Route 1 area? (always wondered about this).

Usually I call it the Highway. My circle of friends understand what I am talking about. Outside of my circle gets one of the following: Fairfax, South Fairfax, Alexandria or non-city Alexandria

Do you think we should unite under one "identity" (not necessarily incorporate as a town, but something like "Tysons" or "Hampton Roads" you know?

Not particularly

Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
I usually refer to where I live as Mount Vernon if I'm talking to a local or Alexandria if to someone outside the area.

Improvement number 1 would be to bulldoze the Zenith TV store. Beyond that, nothing's going to get much better until they figure out how to disperse the concentration of low rent housing and low income residents all along Route 1. It still feels like you're in the third world when venturing out onto it. Would be nice if the rest of the region would absorb some of that.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Not a "townie" but I took the REX (Richmond Highway Express) Metrobus regularly to connect to Old Town and/or the Huntington Metro when I lived in the area during the the last half of the 2000s.

I said here before that I think that BRAC will eventually start to change the demographics, for better or worse, to bring in more middle-income households who tire of their suddenly increased commute to Fort Belvoir but find themselves priced out of nearby Kingstowne.

A retrofitted "town center" in the Mt Vernon Plaza Shopping Center would be nice. Perhaps concentrate the parking spaces near the stores where the most/heaviest bags are likely to be (e.g. Home Depot, Shoppers) and create a walkable middle.

There are some old relic retail buildings as mentioned. I think they will die off as their owner/occupants do. IMO there has been a heckuva lot of improvements in the retail and office facades over the last several years along much of that stretch.

The Yellow Line extension won't happen until, like, 2050 after we recoup the Silver Line investment. Light rail would be awesome although construction would make traffic worse (if that's possible) in the short term. I'd like to see a true "REX" that expresses between Huntington and Fort Belvoir.

Depending on my mood, I refer to the area as "Alexandria South", "unicorporated Alexandria" or simply "Route 1". If I happen to be referring to the area closer to the GW Parkway, I might use "Mount Vernon" as a catch-all.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,024,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post

I said here before that I think that BRAC will eventually start to change the demographics, for better or worse, to bring in more middle-income households who tire of their suddenly increased commute to Fort Belvoir but find themselves priced out of nearby Kingstowne.

A retrofitted "town center" in the Mt Vernon Plaza Shopping Center would be nice. Perhaps concentrate the parking spaces near the stores where the most/heaviest bags are likely to be (e.g. Home Depot, Shoppers) and create a walkable middle.

There are some old relic retail buildings as mentioned. I think they will die off as their owner/occupants do. IMO there has been a heckuva lot of improvements in the retail and office facades over the last several years along much of that stretch.

The Yellow Line extension won't happen until, like, 2050 after we recoup the Silver Line investment. Light rail would be awesome although construction would make traffic worse (if that's possible) in the short term. I'd like to see a true "REX" that expresses between Huntington and Fort Belvoir.

Depending on my mood, I refer to the area as "Alexandria South", "unicorporated Alexandria" or simply "Route 1". If I happen to be referring to the area closer to the GW Parkway, I might use "Mount Vernon" as a catch-all.
Awesome write up Tone, where you living now?

Where the biggest Plazas are, I think some sort of "Town Center" design needs to be created.

There have indeed been facade improvements over some places.

I think we have to be a little careful with the "clean up the rusty shacks" angle. Some like the A and A Electronics Rental outfit, are a real eyesore. But certain places like Laundromats and Ethnic Food shops serve a distinct purpose.

Likewise, dealing with the trailer parks will be tricky. There is one near the intersection of Route 1, State 236 and Buckman Rd. There is one further down around Woodlawn and Engleside. I know they are eyesores, but there are people living there, we can't go all "Chavez Ravine" on them.

Frankly I think the area could really use a name, it'd be great for businesses to hang their hats on and residents (past, present and future) to identify with. I have some ideas, but am trying to figure out where to push them.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Likewise, dealing with the trailer parks will be tricky. There is one near the intersection of Route 1, State 236 and Buckman Rd. There is one further down around Woodlawn and Engleside. I know they are eyesores, but there are people living there, we can't go all "Chavez Ravine" on them.

Frankly I think the area could really use a name, it'd be great for businesses to hang their hats on and residents (past, present and future) to identify with. I have some ideas, but am trying to figure out where to push them.
It's not just the trailer parks but the gazillion garden apt complexes up and down the corridor. It's like a little slice of PG County along there.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 PM

89 posts, read 274,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I usually refer to where I live as Mount Vernon if I'm talking to a local or Alexandria if to someone outside the area.

Improvement number 1 would be to bulldoze the Zenith TV store. Beyond that, nothing's going to get much better until they figure out how to disperse the concentration of low rent housing and low income residents all along Route 1. It still feels like you're in the third world when venturing out onto it. Would be nice if the rest of the region would absorb some of that.
I live in the "third world," trust me, nothing you see on Richmond Highway is even close...Although I agree, I've been wondering what how that Zenith store is still around...But great topic, I'd like to see fewer stores like Wal-mart and the new costco, and various hotels all down the highway, and more entertainment. Traffic is also a major issue but I just can't see them extending the yellow line in the near future. The area has grown a lot since I was a kid though, I remember when the Ground Round was a night out with the family. At least now we have some options....Wasn't there some zoning/preservation law preventing the usage of that area between Cherry Arms and the old Shakeys?...And I always called the area "the highway" and viewed it as starting at the old Western Sizzler down to the Burger King. Anything further south (albeit only a few miles) back then seemed like it had a completely different feel to it. We used to correct people from Lorton when they would say they're from "the highway," lol...

Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,762 times
Quote:
We used to correct people from Lorton when they would say they're from "the highway," lol...
What about the people from Woodbridge??

Tone509 said

Quote:
I think you and Waltantz make a valid point. With the BRAC realignment, Springfield/Kingstown, one of the few affordable pockets close in is beginning to slowly appreciate in value, driving people at the lower socio-economic end of the scale out in search of more affordable options. Mark Center, near BRAC, used to be another area of cheap apartments. It was not within walking distance of the metro, but was served day and night seven days a week by several bus routes that run reliably up and down the Beauregard and Seminary Road corridors. Now it seems that the cheaper apartment complexes such as Hillwood, Lynbrook, Meadow Creek and the venerable Southern Towers are about to be redeveloped to give way to high priced offices and condos.

Beauregard Corridor | The Center of a New Era

This will impact hundreds of lower income people who work in the area, so their competition for cheaper housing may start displacing the some of the current Richmond Highway residents. This will likely start driving up rents along Little River Turnpike and Columbia Turnpike as well.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's not just the trailer parks but the gazillion garden apt complexes up and down the corridor. It's like a little slice of PG County along there.
Working/lower-middle class people need to live somewhere, though. Granted, there are some people who could have better attitudes/pursuits around there. That's one reason why I did eventually move out of "unincorporated Route 1 Alexandria South" to Alexandria City proper. I think the economic demographics will start to change - with some potential condo conversions - as Ft. Belvoir employees increase and the economy recovers.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I think the economic demographics will start to change - with some potential condo conversions - as Ft. Belvoir employees increase and the economy recovers.
I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia