Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 AM

518 posts, read 926,420 times

Advertisements

I wasn't talking about the trailer park behind the old Shakey's building, my mom lives there and I grew up there. I was talking about that patch of land north of the trailer park across the street from the Denny's and that Methuselah of an electronics repair shop. This was also originally part of that same trailer park, but was consolidated into the smaller park when the original owners died or sold the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,197,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I doubt it.
Only time will tell...

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM

687 posts, read 1,379,530 times
I lived in an apartment on Route 1 during the 1990s and the amount of development since then has been substantial. Lots of new retail since then. Most of the really bad rent-by-the-week welfare motels have been bulldozed.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,580,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The Yellow Line extension won't happen until, like, 2050 after we recoup the Silver Line investment. .

any further metrorail investment in NoVa after the silver line has to deal with the growing congestion at the core - we will have yellow, blue, orange and silver lines sharing one tunnel and one bridge - and a large portion of riders will use the crowded transfer stations - Gallery Place, L'Enfant, and Metro Center. Unless and until NoVa and DC can see their way to the substantial expenditure for another crossing/core line (probably Rosslyn-Georgetown-Conv Center-Union Station) we not can't build new heavy rail lines, we probably can't extend existing ones (since that means more trains on the extended lines). Thats one reason DC is looking so hard at the street car - a way to add transit capacity without putting more people on metrorail.

For NoVa, the obvious answer is VRE. While it will require regional cooperation and cooperation with the private freight RR's, expansion of capacity to accommodate improved VRE service can probably be done more cheaply, and sooner, than an additional metrorail crossing.
That would address this macrocorridor, though it probably would not stimulate redevelopment on Rte1 the way a line down rte 1 would.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,873,962 times
Just curious, whenever I meet anyone that works at Ft. Belvoir that doesn't live on base and doesn't have a spouse that works in DC, Arlington, Alexandria, or Fairfax County, they always seem to live very far away like in Fredricksburg or Stafford.

I don't know if others have seen the same thing or if the BRAC is going to be more of an issue down past Woodbridge than in Fairfax County.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,026,379 times
Make no mistake. BRAC will largely be OUR problem as we hold the base (and the fortcoming Army Museum).

Even over looking cost, one problem is width. A Yellow Line extention would eat up a great deal of the road, drastically affecting through and local traffic. What's more Gum Springs has a lot of residences that abut the Route itself, I doubt they're gonna wanna deal with the clang clang so close to their house.

Then something interesting came up, MONORAIL.

FAIRFAX COUNTY Route #1 Corridor Monorail FAQ

It could not eat up the medians or require whole sale restructuring of the road, which BRT and other rail would need.

It should hit major intersections and centrals (shopping plazwhere Route 1 connects with the through streets that lead towards the Potomac.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
any further metrorail investment in NoVa after the silver line has to deal with the growing congestion at the core - we will have yellow, blue, orange and silver lines sharing one tunnel and one bridge - and a large portion of riders will use the crowded transfer stations - Gallery Place, L'Enfant, and Metro Center. Unless and until NoVa and DC can see their way to the substantial expenditure for another crossing/core line (probably Rosslyn-Georgetown-Conv Center-Union Station) we not can't build new heavy rail lines, we probably can't extend existing ones (since that means more trains on the extended lines). Thats one reason DC is looking so hard at the street car - a way to add transit capacity without putting more people on metrorail.

For NoVa, the obvious answer is VRE. While it will require regional cooperation and cooperation with the private freight RR's, expansion of capacity to accommodate improved VRE service can probably be done more cheaply, and sooner, than an additional metrorail crossing.
That would address this macrocorridor, though it probably would not stimulate redevelopment on Rte1 the way a line down rte 1 would.
Valid points that VRE expansion could help NOVA as a whole sooner than another Metrorail extension...although that may indeed not affect the Route 1 corridor.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Just curious, whenever I meet anyone that works at Ft. Belvoir that doesn't live on base and doesn't have a spouse that works in DC, Arlington, Alexandria, or Fairfax County, they always seem to live very far away like in Fredricksburg or Stafford.

I don't know if others have seen the same thing or if the BRAC is going to be more of an issue down past Woodbridge than in Fairfax County.
My uneducated guess is that military families whose pay and housing allowance may still be low for the most desirable areas north of Fort Belvoir - and perhaps have some uneasiness about the relatively affordable options - decide to bite the bullet and head due south(west).

Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Make no mistake. BRAC will largely be OUR problem as we hold the base (and the fortcoming Army Museum).

Even over looking cost, one problem is width. A Yellow Line extention would eat up a great deal of the road, drastically affecting through and local traffic. What's more Gum Springs has a lot of residences that abut the Route itself, I doubt they're gonna wanna deal with the clang clang so close to their house.

FAIRFAX COUNTY Route #1 Corridor Monorail FAQ

It could not eat up the medians or require whole sale restructuring of the road, which BRT and other rail would need.

It should hit major intersections and centrals (shopping plazwhere Route 1 connects with the through streets that lead towards the Potomac.
Looking at the link, it's hard for me to envision how much different that would be than an overhead Metrorail extension at least in terms of aesthetics. I like the outside-the-box thinking but I wouldn't be surprised if such a plan were met with protests not unlike the Tysons Corner Metro extension.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Just like the Disney version, it'll go by way of Fantasyland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia