Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors plans to cut funding for the county horticulturist. This person advises and organizes agricultural efforts around the county, and also organizes the Master Gardener program.

So, if you know how popular the Master Gardener program is around here, you can imagine the bunch of people up in arms about this.

Eliminating this job would save the county $88,000. But some people assert that a county horticulturist brings in much more money than that.
Not sure how that works.... anyone know more about this issue who can explain it to us?

A quote from Geary Higgins (R-Catoctin) is intriguing:

"One of the things we often talk about is public-private partnerships. And I think this is the perfect example of such a partnership. We have an expense of $88,000, and it brings in almost three and half times that."

Any insight into this? I'm open to the idea of keeping him if I can understand the benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,109 times
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think!

OK. I think 88K is a tad steep for a community-organizing job. I don't know about cutting it entirely, though. I wish Arlington had an arborist to keep idiots from fellling their big old trees, as they do in Takoma Park (whose tree ordinance requires that you get the arborist's approval before cutting one down). Not the same as a horticulturist, but close maybe.

Public-private partnerships, however, are very often just a boondoggle--a way for private industry to belly up to public coffers and gorge. The "partnership" entails elected officials awarding contracts to their political allies and buddies, whereupon the officials get "consulting" jobs after they leave office. It's a real disease. Private industry will always have the added expense of the profit margin, unlike government. (Not that government is always efficient, but at least there's not this built-in additional expense.)

Some things make sense for private industry to do because they've already invested in the cost of manufacturing for their consumer industry (e.g., Boeing or Lockheed can build military planes cheaper than the government could, because they've already invested in the factories)--but I think it's gotten way out of hand. Manufacturing is one thing, but intellectual products and public services are different.

Arlington County is very bad about this--hiring tons of consultants to produce studies and then trying to get volunteers to do work that paid County employees should be doing.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 03-19-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,313,818 times
Here's a sort of "annual report" from the Master Gardener program that sheds some insight on what all they do. I do not see where Higgins got that figure.

It seems like the position is also partly supported in some way by the Virginia Cooperative Extension. On the statewide Master Gardener site, there is a list of all the jurisdictions and whether or not the MG coordinator is paid or volunteer. About 20% are volunteers; the rest are locally paid.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 AM

Here's the thing... I'm a gardener and I do make an effort to educate myself and follow good practices. I find a wealth of reliable information online. So, if this guy's job is mostly to provide information I don't think the position is necessary anymore.

Plus, couldn't the master gardeners find a volunteer among their group to lead their education sessions? Why do they need a county employee?

OTOH, the people in the western rural half of Loudoun may use the horticulturist in a lot more ways. But if you do, now's the time to say so because merely having the master gardeners rally to the defense is not going to save this job from the chopping block, IMO.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 AM

771 posts, read 1,460,431 times
To be honest, I had no idea Loudoun county had a Master Gardener program.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
They do and it's extremely popular. I've thought about joining it from time to time but it's one of those clubs that has a lot of mandatory commitments and dues that are more than I want to pay for a garden club. Maybe when I retire I'll have time for something like that.

Seems like a nice group of people, though. They usually have booths at the farmers market. You might want to check out one of the demo gardens, too. The one at Ida Lee park is pretty cool.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,978 times
I wonder why they couldn't gradually phase it out, replacing it with a volunteer organization that receives use of county meeting rooms, parks, etc. So next year, maybe cut it 1/3, cut it another 1/3 the year after that, and zero it out then.

I don't see the need to have a government-funded position/program, to be honest.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 AM

92 posts, read 201,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Indeed, and no doubt it is not the only absurd local government job that should not exist of which I am unaware.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I wonder why they couldn't gradually phase it out, replacing it with a volunteer organization that receives use of county meeting rooms, parks, etc. So next year, maybe cut it 1/3, cut it another 1/3 the year after that, and zero it out then.

I don't see the need to have a government-funded position/program, to be honest.
They'll still have use of the meeting rooms and parks. They just won't have a county employee as their coordinator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: