Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM

9 posts, read 11,674 times

Advertisements

We were originally looking at West Springfield, and found a few homes (we are interested in renting only) that were okay, but they were all older.
Just when we thought we would settle on a home, we changed our mind and settled on a townhome in Kingstowne (on Donival Square). It has 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, a lovely kitchen, etc. However, no garage and not much yard. We are not sure where we will put all our garage stuff, other than maybe renting a storage unit. I never thought in my life we would do that!
The downstairs is all finished, so I don't think we have tons of storage, other than a utility room and attic space. I am hoping we didn't make a mistake!
The school is Lane Elementary, and we plan on being here three years, so my son will be in first, second, and third grades. And my daughter will go to Kindergarten there. I know their rating on greatschools is a little low ( a 6) but the reviews seem positive, and they have many ESOL students, so that may have pulled their reading level scores down some...the West Springfield school we were looking at was a 9, so I feel a little guilty over that. But the townhome is so new and nice, very updated and open. It has higher ceilings, bigger bedrooms, closets, etc. Anyway, can anyone tell me about this area? I like the fact that we have playgrounds, pools, and a gym I can use with no extra cost. It also seems like they have community events that we will enjoy, along with being so close the base (we are military, Ft. Belvoir) and we will be close to the commissary and hospital.
Hubby is working at the Pentagon, so he will take the metro in. Our distance from the metro is around 1.5 miles.
Also, I have enrolled my daughter in All God's Children preschool on Franconia, so any info. on that preschool would be great also. Basically I am looking for any information that can help us! Thanks so much for reading this "novel".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,334,284 times
has he done that commute from Springfield to the 5 sided thingy during rush hour on a non-friday?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:12 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,804 times
I live in Kingstowne and my daughter has been at Lane for 4 years now. She loves it, and I have to say it has been great. I looked at all the websites too..don't let those fool you. If you are like us and came from a standard military location - the schools in some areas near bases can suck. Lane is WAY better than where we came from! And they teach the same stuff as the other schools, and I think do it well.

There are lots of ESOL, which does bring the scores down, but you will find that many of these kids are highly motivated, as are their parents. International night is fabulous! These kids are from all over the world, not just one demographic.

As for the lack of garage - I insisted on a garage..I feel your pain! Way too much stuff. But there are tons of storage units nearby. But that particular area of Kingstowne without the garages is rather nice. I have a couple friends that live over there and always seemed to find parking. (Big issue around here). I do think that area is in the "walking" area for Lane right? Great way to meet people on the walk to school.

Kingstowne has lots to offer. When you sign the lease go to the business office and pick up your id cards and also an extra Kingstonian (you can get that on line as well) you will see all the extra activities. There is a parents night out quarterly, free pizza and a movie for the kids - great way to meet some other kids.

Welcome to the Neighborhood.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM

798 posts, read 2,730,002 times
Kingstown is a great area and the convenience to Belvoir is a big plus. The new hospital is super and they have started on the new commissary. Welcome to the area!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM

9 posts, read 11,674 times
That makes me feel better about Lane. So much depends on your particular teacher and parent involvement (I am a former teacher myself) and I make sure to be involved (but not TOO much). We are coming from a great school, so I hope it's similar. And yes, we will be driving in the morning, but I will walk home with my son each day. I do hope we meet people!

I am thinking we will like the area. I know I will like being close to the base, and it doesn't seem like a worse commute for DH than West Springfield was...Although that's just from us looking at maps and schedules...no real experience.
I am hoping there are places nearby to ride our bikes when it's nice. Also, our unit is supposed to have two assigned spaces right in front....is that not adhered to (per your comment on parking being an issue)?

Thanks for any and all information!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,687,855 times
You will love Kingstowne! There are two pools which are included in your HOA pool, as are the fitness centers. Lane has two nice playgrounds so you can meet other school parents there. The kids' sports leagues and fields in the area are nice. Check out the Kingstowne Library, at the corner of Beulah and Telegraph; it has children's programs. The Kingstowne shopping centers have some good stores, restaurants, and a multi-plex movie theater. Plenty of families with childen, both in Kingstowne and in the nearby neighborhoods. My friends whose children attended Lane liked it a lot.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:18 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg8 View Post
That makes me feel better about Lane. So much depends on your particular teacher and parent involvement (I am a former teacher myself) and I make sure to be involved (but not TOO much). We are coming from a great school, so I hope it's similar. And yes, we will be driving in the morning, but I will walk home with my son each day. I do hope we meet people!

I am thinking we will like the area. I know I will like being close to the base, and it doesn't seem like a worse commute for DH than West Springfield was...Although that's just from us looking at maps and schedules...no real experience.
I am hoping there are places nearby to ride our bikes when it's nice. Also, our unit is supposed to have two assigned spaces right in front....is that not adhered to (per your comment on parking being an issue)?

Thanks for any and all information!
As for parking, yes the assigned spots are adhered to...it is visitor parking that is tough to come by all over Kingstowne. As for DH it is a very quick trip to the metro, quicker than W. Springfield. And lots of biking all around. There is a little lake as well.

And over by the Library there is a new Wegmans being built! Construction has started. The intersection of Bealuh and Telegraph is completely different now! The partial 4 laning of Telegraph is underway as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM

66 posts, read 142,191 times
I think you will love Kingstowne. We've been gone for almost 3 years but still own a TH there. We lived there 4 years while my husband was in the AF. He commuted to Arlington via the metro which is really close and many neighborhoods have access the the bus which takes you to the metro. Ft. Belvoir is easy to get to for the commissary and hospital.

My kids attended Lane and loved it. There are some great teachers there. Also, my daughter attended All Gods Children for 2 years. We loved it there. I'm still friends with the director of the preschool on FB. It is a great place. If I can answer any specific questions for you just send me a private message.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,805,907 times
I'm not too familiar with the area, but it sounds like you made a good choice! Welcome to Northern Virginia (although, I don't even live there anymore).

Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 PM

406 posts, read 625,900 times
This thread has really eased my anxiety about moving to the are. Thanks for all the helpful comments.

I would love to hear an update from the op about their transition to Kingstown after one year.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia