Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 30,152 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apartment in the Arlington or Alexandria areas for me and my boyfriend but am relatively new to NOVA/DC and am unsure of what areas are decent. We are looking to stay under about $1850/month with parking for one car and somewhere in the Arlington or Alexandria areas, pretty close in to the district (No further out than Ballston on the Orange Line or King Street/Eisenhower on the Blue/Yellow Lines) as I will be commuting to Pentagon City and he will be commuting to the Union Station area.

We absolutely need to be within a 10 minute or less walk to the metro, this is non-negotiable. Our number one concern is safety and we want to make sure we find a place where I can feel comfortable walking by myself to and from the metro, even at night. We are both late 20's professionals (government employee and recent law school grad) and are over the crazy bar scene but still would like to be close to some shops/restaurants/bars.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend areas, or even specific apartment complexes for us. I was also wondering if anyone would be able to provide any insight on what the area surrounding the Braddock Road metro station is like. I know King Street is a nice area but was unsure about the Braddock Road metro station area,,, rent seems to be a little cheaper around that metro stop but I wasn't sure if that was a bad sign.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Any of your desired areas should be fine--the trick will be finding the amenities you want at your price point. As you've probably already found, parking can run several hundred a month some places!

I'd look at the Carlyle area. Either the Eisenhower or King street metros are within easy walking distance, and it's a relatively safe/new/clean area. The restaurants and movie theater means there are often people around in the evenings. Braddock isn't a bad area either. There's really no super dangerous areas in Alexandria--you can look up crime reports online if you want to see muggings/thefts/etc.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
I know a recent college grad who lives here:

Sheffield Court Apartments - 701 North Wayne Street - Arlington - EquityApartments.com

These are old apartments, and just a tad beyond your 10 minute non-negotiable walk to Metro. But this gives you some idea of the market. As you will soon discover, you will pay a premium for that 10 minute walk.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Ain't gonna happen. Not trying to be mean, but that's the truth. What you're looking for is not within your budget. You should decide which you are willing to be flexible on: Price, proximity to Metro, or distance from DC (your desire to be no farther out than Ballston).

Super-valuable suggestion: Find an apartment on Lee Highway in Arlington, west of Quincy. It's on the 3Y bus line, which shoots down Lee Highway into Rosslyn and then onto I-66, right into DC. I took it for years. Very easy. You won't get the hip busy urban village thing, but trust me that this is worth your consideration. (Shoot, you'll save so much money that you can cab the mile or two to Ballston or Clarendon whenever you feel like getting your nightlife fix.)

Good luck.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-20-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 05:14 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Not sure why a 10 minute walk is "non-negotiable" but what's wrong with taking a bus to Metro??

Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
One bedroom units in the River House near Pentagon City are in your price range. This is a huge, older complex. Not sure if it is your cup of tea, but the location would work well for you. Parking is available.

The Braddock area has some new units mixed in with some older ones. I suspect that the primary reason for the price's being slightly lower is that it is an area in transition, with some public housing nearby.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:22 PM

44 posts, read 78,908 times
Maybe something in Shirlington that is a 10 minute bus to Pentagon?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Archstone and Dittmar Company both own many high rise apartment buildings along the orange and blue lines in Arlington. Check out their sites and you might find something in your range: quincy plaza, richmond square, archstone pentagon city, etc.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Archstone and Dittmar Company both own many high rise apartment buildings along the orange and blue lines in Arlington. Check out their sites and you might find something in your range: quincy plaza, richmond square, archstone pentagon city, etc.
Richmond Square was $1400 for a one bedroom--in 2003.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Richmond Square was $1400 for a one bedroom--in 2003.
Current 2013 Richmond Square Pricing:
  • Efficiency $1655 - $1805
  • 1 Bedroom $1815 - $1975
  • 2 Bedrooms $2645 - $2935
  • 2 Bedrooms + Den $3395 - $3595
yeah...doesn't seem to be in OPs budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia