Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I've had people ask me for money to buy a sandwich - I offer to buy them a sandwich but say I won't give them money....they walk away.
Ah yes, alms only for the worthy poor. I'm sure that argument will fly on Judgement Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,032,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Better yet, why don't you tell the priest how you feel about that during your next confession? If I were he I'd probably give you a nice lecture on the thief in the night parable and about 100 Hail Marys for penance.

Add another 100 Acts of Contrition.
While I do go to Confession, I believe priests are in no position to do any lecturing,
considering what so many let slide for so many years.

Getting rid of beggars in the parking lot should be a walk in the park in comparison.

I do hope you feel better after having gotten your own lecture in, under the guise of what you think a priest should say.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,032,255 times
Quote:
Ah yes, alms only for the worthy poor. I'm sure that argument will fly on Judgement Day.
Thessalonians:
"10-13For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.."

Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,691,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Solid chance that any money you give to them potentially funds any addiction they might have.
That is the problem, unfortunately. The pastor could refer them to Catholic Charities, which the parishioners are contributing to right now through the Bishop's Lenten Appeal. The diocese also has programs for immigrants and refugees, funded by donations. The parishes also have food drives, clothing drives, school supplies drives, and other assistance programs.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,691,016 times
Quote:
Better yet, why don't you tell the priest how you feel about that during your next confession? If I were he I'd probably give you a nice lecture on the thief in the night parable and about 100 Hail Marys for penance.

Add another 100 Acts of Contrition.
Interesting comment, coming CAVA1990,who wrote last week on another thread about his area: "Beyond that, nothing's going to get much better until they figure out how to disperse the concentration of low rent housing and low income residents all along Route 1. It still feels like you're in the third world when venturing out onto it. Would be nice if the rest of the region would absorb some of that."

Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,863,012 times
I've offered to buy meals for folks and they've been happy to accept. But, I understand about feeding the whole addiction thing. If they really need money - alert your priest and ask them to come and talk to these folks and hook them up with Catholic Charities.

Funny how people are upset about beggars outside of a church though... Seems a bit contradictory to me.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Interesting comment, coming CAVA1990,who wrote last week on another thread about his area: "Beyond that, nothing's going to get much better until they figure out how to disperse the concentration of low rent housing and low income residents all along Route 1. It still feels like you're in the third world when venturing out onto it. Would be nice if the rest of the region would absorb some of that."
What's wrong with advocating for income diversity in all parts of the county?

I would love to see the headline "Church Bans Beggars".

Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,110,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
That is the problem, unfortunately. The pastor could refer them to Catholic Charities, which the parishioners are contributing to right now through the Bishop's Lenten Appeal. The diocese also has programs for immigrants and refugees, funded by donations. The parishes also have food drives, clothing drives, school supplies drives, and other assistance programs.
One time when we came out of Mass there was a family of 4 with a baby outside the church. One of the ushers and the priest brought them inside the parish and talked to them about the resources available to help. I've never seen them outside with a sign again. The reality is that if a family is going through hard times, continuous short-term help while they get back on their feet is going to be more useful than gathering a few donations by panhandling outside the church (and that's making the assumption that some people are hurting and may not be panhandling to feed an addiction, which is a completely different story).

Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 AM

Put $10 in the poor box and say hello to them on the way out. Bases covered.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,912,503 times
Quote:
I'm not sure you quite understand. Nothing in the bible about throwing cash at poor people. It says feed the hungry, house the homeless, give drink to the thirsty, and clothe the naked not "give an irrevocable cash donation to beggars."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia