Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times

Advertisements

Potomac Club is a newer townhome/condo neighborhood located adjacent to the Wegman's and the brand new town center. The neighborhood is gated; however, don't think you *need* a gated community. You don't. That said, Potomac Club is kind of "stark" looking to me and is the kind of place I'd rent if I was single or married, no kids. It just doesn't have a particularly "family friendly" look to it (rolling streets, grass, kids playing out, etc). It may be perfectly fine. I would definitely check the zoning there to see which elementary school you feed into.

Port Potomac is a nice neighborhood, but is further south, located right off Rt 1 (as is Potomac Club) and would add some added misery to an already bad commute. You are bordering on Dumfries there so you are in the southern most part of Woodbridge.

Look in the area of Woodbridge called "Lake Ridge". This is a bit north of where you are looking, is much more family oriented and has the better schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:00 PM

4,455 posts, read 8,150,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2012 View Post
We have found a few really nice looking rentals in the Potomac Club and Port Potomac areas. Any opinion about these places? They look nice and one is even gated (which is neither here nor there for me), but at least it seems "safer"?

If we pick one of the properties mentioned above, hubby plans on driving to the Horner Rd commuter parking lot and taking Prince William metro connector to Franconia-Springfield Metro into DC. Does that sound feasible?
I own a rental home adjacent to the Port Potomac subdivision so I'm sort of familiar with it. I've jogged through Port Potomac and the homes look nice, although on smaller lots. The homes feel like they're right on top of each other. I guess if you don't want to deal with a lot of lawn maintenance that is a good thing. Further back is Powell's Landing and even larger homes on larger lots. It should feed into the Leesylvania Elementary school, Rippon Middle and Potomac High. I guess a drawback is that it's pretty far south, while still considered part of Woodbridge it's right near the boundary to Dumfries. Also it's pretty close to Georgetown Village/Village Gate. Older TH area that's got a bad element to it. Not sure if there is much spillover to the newer homes, but do realize that they are nearby. If your DH is willing to use the VRE, the Rippon Station is not too far from Port Potomac/Potomac Club.

Like ChristineVA mentioned, Potomc Club is right across the street from Wegmans. There are also a few restaurants/banks there and more planned to open.

As well as Lake Ridge to investigate, also look into Belmont Bay. A perk is that the Woodbridge VRE is walkable to the community, but it doesn't have the access to shopping like Potomac Club. Westridge is in Lake Ridge and the elementary school has received high marks. There's a commuter lot on Minnieville road not too far away that you can use buses to get you to the metro.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,734,800 times
Quote:
Sorry! I should have indicated that he will be working at Headquarters in DC.
!
Not to be a pain - but that still isn't very clear - HQ for what? Most HQ's are located at the Pentagon - which is actually located in Virginia. But then there are sections of the Navy at the Navy yard, which makes for a different commute than others. Does he have an address - (not the one that is located on the orders - they all say HQ if they assigned to the pentagon)

For instance VRE isn't the best way to get to the pentagon, since you have to change to metro to get there. And he could be at the Mark Center - where a lot of OSD is located now.

That said - with your BHA - you can find a decent TH in the Kingstowne, Island creek area, which allows for great access to the metro.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM

11 posts, read 16,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Not to be a pain - but that still isn't very clear - HQ for what? Most HQ's are located at the Pentagon - which is actually located in Virginia. But then there are sections of the Navy at the Navy yard, which makes for a different commute than others. Does he have an address - (not the one that is located on the orders - they all say HQ if they assigned to the pentagon)

For instance VRE isn't the best way to get to the pentagon, since you have to change to metro to get there. And he could be at the Mark Center - where a lot of OSD is located now.

That said - with your BHA - you can find a decent TH in the Kingstowne, Island creek area, which allows for great access to the metro.
I totally forgot to put "CG" in front of headquarters, it's located on Second St., in DC. Another thing to consider though is that they will be relocating to St. Elizabeth/Anacostia? I'm guessing that is even further away from Woodbridge area?
Today we looked briefly online at some available rentals in Springfield per everyone's suggestions. The school's seem so much better there. Hubby keeps saying don't worry about his commute, but I really don't want it to take him 2+ hours to get to/from work.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times
Quote:
I totally forgot to put "CG" in front of headquarters, it's located on Second St., in DC. Another thing to consider though is that they will be relocating to St. Elizabeth/Anacostia? I'm guessing that is even further away from Woodbridge area?
Today we looked briefly online at some available rentals in Springfield per everyone's suggestions. The school's seem so much better there. Hubby keeps saying don't worry about his commute, but I really don't want it to take him 2+ hours to get to/from work.

Coast Guard?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 AM

163 posts, read 315,160 times
Base housing is pretty good but you can do so much more with the BAH out in town. I recommend all military families stay close to base, just for the comissary/exchange because prices on everything are skyrocketin***

The best bet is to stay near public transportation because the govt will pay you to use it so it's virtually free. You have a family so I recommend that you look in the Kingstowne are*** It's a little congested but still nice for families and close enough to public transpo.

The rental prices in the NoVa area are outrageous to say the least.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 AM

28 posts, read 47,117 times
I also have kids and live in Woodbridge. The town if fine but I would avoid both of the areas you mentioned. They are fine areas but Potomac Club has NO where to play besides one playground on one side of the neighborhood. Potomac Club is off Jefferson Davis highway. This will easily add 15 min+ to anywhere you want to go. Lakeridge is nice but like others said the schools are better and commute will be less going north. Springfield is a nice area. Find someplace on the metro and that will decrease his commute significantly!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Coast Guard?
Yes, Coast Guard

Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnaspen View Post
I also have kids and live in Woodbridge. The town if fine but I would avoid both of the areas you mentioned. They are fine areas but Potomac Club has NO where to play besides one playground on one side of the neighborhood. Potomac Club is off Jefferson Davis highway. This will easily add 15 min+ to anywhere you want to go. Lakeridge is nice but like others said the schools are better and commute will be less going north. Springfield is a nice area. Find someplace on the metro and that will decrease his commute significantly!

Thanks for the info about kids. We are also considering some rentals in Springfield and Fairfax now. They seem to have better schools and are more family friendly. Oh decisions, decisions!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
Base housing is pretty good but you can do so much more with the BAH out in town. I recommend all military families stay close to base, just for the comissary/exchange because prices on everything are skyrocketin***

The best bet is to stay near public transportation because the govt will pay you to use it so it's virtually free. You have a family so I recommend that you look in the Kingstowne are*** It's a little congested but still nice for families and close enough to public transpo.

The rental prices in the NoVa area are outrageous to say the least.

Totally agree about taking advantage of Comissary/exchange! We usually make a weekly trip and try to buy most everything on base. Plan on using public transportation a lot as well....especially with gas probably going up to $5+ this summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia