Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM

772 posts, read 1,142,564 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am looking for a two-bedroom in the West Silver Spring/Chevy Chase area. I am trying to stay in this area for three main reasons: (1) I want BCC; (2) the car commute to Greenbelt (i.e. job) is about 25 minutes; and (3) I like it here. I live in West Silver Spring, and I think it's pretty diverse socioeconomically. I also like the proximity to Rock Creek Park as I do a lot of walking back there.

The problem is that I am not having a lot of luck finding a two-bedroom in my price range, which caps at about $2,000 a month. I have had some close calls, and will keep looking; but I think it is advisable at this stage to expand the scope of my search.

To that end, I was thinking about looking for a place in Fairfax County. I picked Fairfax because a guy with whom I work said that he lives in Alexandria and that the drive up 295 to Greenbelt is only like 20 minutes, which is amazing for the DC metro area.

I don't think Alexandria would work for me because all of it is zoned to TC Williams and I have no interest in that school. So, is there somewhere else in Fairfax County that offers a commute to Greenbelt in the 30-minute range with strong public high schools? I am looking for a school that is on par with BCC, or perhaps Walter Johnson. That is, a public high school that is at once competitive academically and socioeconomically diverse. I know there are some other relatively high performing public high schools in MoC (e.g. Witman and Wooton), but these schools are not sufficiently diverse for my tastes.

Thanks for the tips. Great website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
I don't know what time you leave for your commute, but you're constraining yourself an awful lot, and something will have to probably give. Sort of like: location, cost, size - pick two.

If you want that nice 295 drive from FFX County, you're going to have to compromise on schools. For other commutes, you're looking at fighting across the American Legion bridge, or going through the city. So maybe Arlington (Yorktown, W-L) for the latter? Or one of the more expensive school districts in FCPS (without the diversity you probably want) and a fun ride around the inner loop.

Honestly, if you work in Maryland, want to be there, and like the schools there, I don't really see the point in trying to move to Fairfax County. It's not exactly cheap living over here, either.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Just South of Alexandria is a section of Fairfax County that might work for you and would be the closest commute to Greenbelt. The high school is West Potomac in Belle Haven. From personal experience I can say it's a very good school that's quite diverse and has an AP program. It would be an easy hop onto the beltway and WW bridge via Route 1 from there. There are plenty of 2 br places (condos, THs and SFHs) in your price range. You can probably rent a house right near the school for that as there are a lot of smaller SFHs around there. The zip code is 22307.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Have you looked north of Greenbelt? I have no idea what the commute from Odenton/Columbia/etc area would be, but that might be another possibility.

Stats on West Potomac (suggested by CAVA) can be found here:

FCPS - School Profiles - West Potomac HS

You can see the programs offered, and click through the demographics and test scores and such. (You can do the same for any high school you'd be interested in)

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Isn't Eleanor Roosevelt HS in Greenbelt considered a good, diverse HS that has a magnet program and is considered among the best schools in Prince George's? Might not that school/area be an option, particularly if you're not concerned with elementary or middle schools?

Trying to find what you're looking for in Fairfax will be a big challenge. The area assigned to West Potomac HS in the Alexandria part of Fairfax County offers the shortest commute, but West Po usually is not considered "on par" with BCC or Walter Johnson, even though it is diverse and definitely offers a full range of courses to challenge motivated students. If you're not interested in Blair, I don't think you'd be happy at West Po either. West Springfield and Lake Braddock (schools in the Springfield/Burke areas) sound more like the types of high schools that you're looking for, but I'd expect the commute to Greenbelt to be considerably longer than 30 minutes.

Last edited by JD984; 04-18-2012 at 07:50 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
It takes longer than 20 minutes when traffic is heavy. When it's light 20-30 minutes sounds right. Oh, I'm talking about from the area of Fairfax county that the post office calls Alexandria even if it's not part of the city.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
If I were working in Greenbelt and looking for good schools, I'd head straight to Howard County (Columbia/Ellicott City). Centennial High School, I think, is believed to be the strongest, but several are good.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,305 times
The areas of Fairfax County closest to Greenbelt would be the areas nearest the Wilson Bridge. Think Alexandria South, Telegraph, Franconia. Take 495 over the Wilson Bridge, get on 295 north which turns into the BW Parkway and exit at Greenbelt Rd. It's rather fast when traffic is light.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
What's wrong with Howard or Frederick Counties?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 PM

772 posts, read 1,142,564 times
Nothing is necessarily wrong with Howard or Frederick County. I just need a high school that measures up to BCC and Walter Johnson in terms of test scores, strength of academic programs, and diversity. BCC and Walter Johnson are considered to be pretty good schools that a lot of affluent people will send their kids to even though they have sizeable minority populations. I want a school like that.

Is there something particular in Howard or Frederick County that you recommend that offers a reasonable commute time.

Almost all of the area zoned to BCC, and much of the area zoned to Walter Johnson, gives me what I am looking for.

Last edited by itinérant; 04-18-2012 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia