Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 12:59 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,648 times

Advertisements

I have spotted this woman in Old Town Alexandria, and also last night, European accent, I spotted her in the National Harbor. I think the little girl's welfare is in danger. Please don't give money to the panhandlers. I am not sure if using a child is illegal. What this lady does is walk up to you on a busy sidewalk, and ask for money, and then the child will make funny noises like she's mentally ill.
Attached Thumbnails
I've spotted this panhandler in the tourist spots, and she uses this minor child to assist her-img_3758.jpg   I've spotted this panhandler in the tourist spots, and she uses this minor child to assist her-img_3759.jpg   I've spotted this panhandler in the tourist spots, and she uses this minor child to assist her-img_3750.jpg   I've spotted this panhandler in the tourist spots, and she uses this minor child to assist her-img_3751.jpg   I've spotted this panhandler in the tourist spots, and she uses this minor child to assist her-img_3752.jpg  

I've spotted this panhandler in the tourist spots, and she uses this minor child to assist her-img_3753.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 01:07 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,810,346 times
Did you speak w/any law enforcement?

Old 08-03-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Did you speak w/any law enforcement?
Yes I reported it to the National Harbor security.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM

Let's hope that accomplished something. It's so sad when people do that and drag young children into it.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,562,913 times
Not saying she isn't, but are you sure the child isn't autistic or something along those lines? I have a daughter that looks to be about the same age that is non-verbal autistic, and by looks alone, you would never know.

Again, I'm not saying anything right or wrong here (because there is just no real way of knowing for sure). Here in Tyson's Corner, we have our fair share of panhandlers at about every street light. It does get tough to see sometimes. But, did spot one get out of a newish Toyota sedan he was driving once, walk over and unfold the cardboard sign and started walking up/down the cars waiting at the light.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Not saying she isn't, but are you sure the child isn't autistic or something along those lines? I have a daughter that looks to be about the same age that is non-verbal autistic, and by looks alone, you would never know.

Again, I'm not saying anything right or wrong here (because there is just no real way of knowing for sure). Here in Tyson's Corner, we have our fair share of panhandlers at about every street light. It does get tough to see sometimes. But, did spot one get out of a newish Toyota sedan he was driving once, walk over and unfold the cardboard sign and started walking up/down the cars waiting at the light.
The reason I became concerned the first time seeing her was because the child was out around 11pm on a school night, and I thought the kid might be in danger.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,405,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Here in Tyson's Corner, we have our fair share of panhandlers at about every street light. It does get tough to see sometimes. But, did spot one get out of a newish Toyota sedan he was driving once, walk over and unfold the cardboard sign and started walking up/down the cars waiting at the light.
Where I used to live (not Tyson's) I saw a beggar in a wheelchair at the same spot every day for months. Once I walked past at late dusk instead of during business hours. I watched the guy stand up out of his wheelchair, pick it up and collapse it flat, and then carry it under his arm to his car parked up the block. That was in a city where I could not afford to keep a car myself.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:13 PM

I still think you are doing the right thing by putting this out there - how did they get to the locations? (and who knows where else?) - I don't EVER give money. If it's some saying they haven't eaten or something (depends) - I have said "I won't give you money but I'll buy you a sandwich or food" - most are ticked off and gone. Sad

Old 08-03-2018, 11:56 PM

22,481 posts, read 12,018,893 times
In NYC, it was discovered that there was a large group of panhandlers who were from Romania. They all lived in the same building and they would take their children with them. They often didn't even have their own children with them, rather they used one another's children.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...282332001.html

The New York beggars baby trade | Daily Mail Online

I never give money to panhandlers. IMO, to help those truly in need, donate to food banks and shelters.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:34 AM

91 posts, read 111,553 times
There are a lot of gypsies here. The group I'm thinking of look Romanian. One "station" they have is the Leesburg Target parking lot and sometimes they have a child with them. It's been like that for years. I remember one evening one lady was sitting at the end of the half empty parking lot and a nice car came by to pick her up. I wasn't such a believer after seeing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia