Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM

25 posts, read 85,178 times

Advertisements

I recently got radon testing done on a house I plan to buy in ashburn. The radon levels turned out to be over .... Can this be mitigated to safe levels? If I buy the house and get the mitigation system installed,is it going to affect the resale of the house in future. Any advice or opinion is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-18-2012 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: edited by request of OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 PM

23 posts, read 48,147 times
It may. No one wants to risk getting cancer in the future. If you do make the decision to buy ensure you keep your paperwork.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,907 times
Everyone in my section of my neighborhood (Ashburn Farm) has a radon remediation system. I think the area may just have a high radon rate. I don't think it has any effect on the value as long as the system is in place and functioning.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,686 times
Some of us out here think the Radon Scare is false science at its...uh...best.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,726 times
we had high radon readings in our TH...because the sump pump had gotten backed up. we cleared that and had it retested - all was well. you don't always need to go straight to the ridiculously pricey remediation system.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 AM

303 posts, read 917,737 times
If you decide to try to get it mitigated, work closely with your real estate agent to ensure the contract favors you. Specifically, make sure that you aren't obligated to close on the house until the levels have been mitigated to a certain level that is mutually acceptable to you, the seller, and the EPA. Also, if you agree to split the cost of mitigation, be sure you're only obligated to pay if the mitigation is successful.

We had to do this once on a house. It held up the closing for a week or two, but ultimately it all worked out. I don't think the levels were as high as 30, though.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:39 PM

23 posts, read 62,480 times
Presumably, this was found in the course of the home inspection. You should make closing contingent on the installation and proper functioning of a remediation system by the seller. I'm surprised your agent didn't suggest this, especially since the seller must now disclose this defect to other buyers. That is what we did 20 years ago - no problems that we know of.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 AM

25 posts, read 85,178 times
Thanks for the advice. We requested the seller to get the mitigation system installed and we even offered to pay for it at the time of closing. Still no response from seller. Is 30 pci too high to get mitigated, should we walk away from the contract? Today is the last day?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM

23 posts, read 62,480 times
You really need to get professional advice from at least one remediation firm (preferably more). That will probably be hard on a Sunday. Personally, I would not allow myself to be put in a position where I had to make a decision of this magnitude without more facts.

I could be totally wrong, but it sounds like there's something more going on here. Presumably, your offer on the home is contingent on installation of a remediation system. You have offered to pay for a remediation system, but the seller is not responding. If I understand you correctly, you're offer will expire today if you do not remove the radon contingency. I have to wonder if the seller is having 'seller's remorse' and actually wants your offer to expire. Maybe they think you're offer is too low, maybe they don't really want to move...who knows? An experienced real estate agent should be able to give you some perspective on where the buyers are coming from.

It seems like you may now be in a position of having to remove the radon contingency if you want to proceed with your offer before it expires today. Hopefully, your agent and the seller's agent can reach agreement to extend the offer date so that you can make an intelligent decision based on more facts re the remediation process. Please keep us posted.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:08 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Some of us out here think the Radon Scare is false science at its...uh...best.
That radon is good for you.

They said the same thing about lead paint but i eight planty of it as a ked and am fyne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia