Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,298,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
True Trader Joes is not too far, but it's not really Old Town. TJ's is eight blocks away, which means 1/2 mile or about a 10 minute walk. TJs is about halfway to King, east of Washington, which is the heart of Old Town. So that's about 20 mins of walking with some xtra minutes waiting for lights added on. I stand by the point that there is not a lot to walk to within 10 minutes. Within 25, however, there is a lot. As for 5 minutes to DC via car...yeah, right. It can easily take longer than that just to get out of Alexandria.

As for traffic at night. It's an urban area so there is always some traffic, even at night, but it's not horn-honking, or fast, loud traffic. I doubt you will notice it. Clarendon, this ain't. There are not too many bars within a 10-minute walk, but there are several coffee shops. Not many bookstores around or movie theaters to walk too. AMC Hoffman is just two metro stops away, though.

For a single guy with minimal needs, that area would be fine. The crime ranges from DV to drug deals to public intoxication. Most of it is "internal" as pointed out, but there have been cases of people getting robbed in that area. These cases are not that common, but they do happen, usually only late at night. The area used to be much, much rougher, but the trend is definitely in the right direction. All-in-all, a decent place for a single guy, just be careful stumbling home late at night.
Oh come on. Trader Joes is Old Town. It's just not smack in the middle of the tourist section.

OP - Get a bike and you'll be able to get anywhere pretty quickly.

I wouldn't be too concerned about crime. The rougher looking characters you see are actually actors the city hires to make the liberals think they're living in a diverse area rather than a yuppie ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 PM

464 posts, read 480,085 times
I live on N pitt st and it's safe to me. I'm female and I usually walk alone at nights from Braddock metro to my Apt.

If you see people outside the housing projects, they won't bother you and sometimes you'll see the cop patrolling the area.

Not happy about getting a Harris Teeter. We couldn't get a Wegmans?!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
I live on N pitt st and it's safe to me. I'm female and I usually walk alone at nights from Braddock metro to my Apt.

If you see people outside the housing projects, they won't bother you and sometimes you'll see the cop patrolling the area.

Not happy about getting a Harris Teeter. We couldn't get a Wegmans?!
Not enough space unless they can put one out in Potomac Yards somewhere.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:32 PM

108 posts, read 210,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajah20 View Post
So I've been looking for apartments in Old Town, and I notice there are some places available near the Braddock Road metro near the intersection of Madison and North Fayette.

Is this neighborhood safe? Is there a decent amount of cool stuff within walking distance? Would you recommend living here?

Thanks!
I live in the neighborhood and recommend it. It's safe. There is some petty crime present, but I've never had an issue. Most of the crime is self-contained in the few remaining public housing projects.

You'll be about a 10-12 minute walk to Trader Joe's and about a 10-25 minute walk to the entire King Street corridor. I walk everywhere from my place and only utilize a car when driving beyond Old Town.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
True Trader Joes is not too far, but it's not really Old Town. TJ's is eight blocks away, which means 1/2 mile or about a 10 minute walk. TJs is about halfway to King, east of Washington, which is the heart of Old Town. So that's about 20 mins of walking with some xtra minutes waiting for lights added on. I stand by the point that there is not a lot to walk to within 10 minutes. Within 25, however, there is a lot. As for 5 minutes to DC via car...yeah, right. It can easily take longer than that just to get out of Alexandria.
Respectfully, your understanding of what constitutes Old Town is incorrect and will mislead people unfamiliar to the area. Old Town encompasses all of the city east of the train tracks and north of the Beltway. The only potential exception is the adjacent and somewhat contained Carlyle development -- the majority of which is less than ten years old.

Yes, King Street is the commercial heart of Old Town, but Old Town is far larger, including the area the original poster identified.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM

270 posts, read 910,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Prime View Post
Respectfully, your understanding of what constitutes Old Town is incorrect and will mislead people unfamiliar to the area. Old Town encompasses all of the city east of the train tracks and north of the Beltway. The only potential exception is the adjacent and somewhat contained Carlyle development -- the majority of which is less than ten years old.

Yes, King Street is the commercial heart of Old Town, but Old Town is far larger, including the area the original poster identified.
Yes, the definition of what constitutes Old Town can be confusing. Those of us who live here probably use a narrower definition because that's how the City is officially divided. According to the Alexandria Master Plan, the area you describe consists of the neighborhoods of Parker-Gray, Eisenhower East, North Old Town, Braddock Road, AND the Old and Historic District. Most of who live here don't really consider the Braddock Road Metro Station to be in Old Town, but I can see how people from outside can use the term more broadly. However you define it, you still have to walk aways from Madison and N Fayette to get to bars and restaurants.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Most of who live here don't really consider the Braddock Road Metro Station to be in Old Town, but I can see how people from outside can use the term more broadly. .
I live here, have for a long time, and consider Braddock Road Metro part of Old Town. So does this Google map:

http://living-in-washingtondc.com/li...xandria_va.php

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-10-2012 at 06:44 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, the definition of what constitutes Old Town can be confusing. Those of us who live here probably use a narrower definition because that's how the City is officially divided. According to the Alexandria Master Plan, the area you describe consists of the neighborhoods of Parker-Gray, Eisenhower East, North Old Town, Braddock Road, AND the Old and Historic District. Most of who live here don't really consider the Braddock Road Metro Station to be in Old Town, but I can see how people from outside can use the term more broadly. However you define it, you still have to walk aways from Madison and N Fayette to get to bars and restaurants.
You are the first person I've encountered in my 15 years of living in Old Town who identifies his/her specific location based on the city's Master Plan and its official neighborhood designations. All of the adjacent and nearby neighbors I've met over the years along West, Pendleton, and Oronoco Streets consider themselves Old Town residents. Same with my colleagues on South Washington and a family member on North Columbus.

Also, the issue here is the area around Fayette and Madison, not the Metro station per se. You're right. The Metro station is not exclusively in Old Town -- it could be popularly described as occuying a boundary between Old Town, Rosemont, and Del Ray; however, the OP mentioned Fayette and Madison, which is popularly considered part of Old Town.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM

48 posts, read 114,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajah20 View Post
Single guy, simple needs. I'd like to be able to walk to bookstores, bars, coffee place, movies, etc. I would like to be able to easily drive places like the grocery store. I'd like to go in the city and come back late at night stumbling home from the metro and not feel like I am taking a huge risk.

Also, is the area quiet at night? Or is the traffic heavy?
Traffic is bad enough during rush hour that they have HOV lanes in old town, one going north on Patrick St., one going south on Henry St. I don't go that way for work, fortunately, but during those periods even getting a few blocks can take twenty minutes.

Actual Old Town is still a hike - further than you'd want to walk for dinner, really. Trader Joes is not what I would consider close to me, even more so when you factor in walking with all your groceries in the middle of this heat - no thanks. They are building a Harris Teeter a bit closer and the riff-raff in the projects is mostly contained and/or moving out of the area. The crime that does happen is usually drug related - witnessed one bust go down right in front of me one afternoon - but not much violence; at least I've never heard any gunfire. But I do hear a LOT of fire engines late at night and I'm on the 15th floor of my building. If you're anywhere near either of those streets you can count on it - worse on the lower floors.

By the sounds of it you'd be more at home in Clarendon - closer to DC, way more bars and tons of young single people. But you will pay - dearly - for the privilege of living in that area. Maybe work out if you find a roomate situation but one bedrooms are $2000 plus a month, not including parking. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM

48 posts, read 114,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I live here, have for a long time, and consider Braddock Road Metro part of Old Town. So does this Google map:

Living in Old Town Alexandria, VA
I live in that area exactly, and though it's great living right next to the Braddock Rd. Metro, I don't kid myself and neither do the real estate prices.

This spot is Old Town in name only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia