Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 87,590 times

Advertisements

My condo/townhouse doesn't vent to the outside. This is problematic. I called my condo management office and was told that the board typically doesn't approve of exterior venting. Before I approach the board or the architectural committee, I am doing research.

Is it possible to get approval from a condo board over something like this? Will my points about fire hazards and moisture build-up make a difference? Will a statement from a contractor or fire inspector make a difference? If I agree to pay for the improvement, and if I use a licensed contractor or other appropriate professional, wouldn't this be something of value to improve the building? Something that would be desired? I know that I don't own the exterior of the building. But inside drying is ruining my interior. I've tried a few different solutions but nothing is as optimal as having the vent go outside.

Any advice or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Default May help, falls church requirements

Article #132 - Ventilation Requirements for Condensing Clothes Dryers - Code Notes

Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 AM

301 posts, read 691,383 times
Wow, I'm shocked about this. I used to own a townhouse and while I did have a vent to the outside, it was not working properly and my clothes weren't drying well. So I temporarily disconnected it so that it would vent inside, and you're right...it will ruin your home (excessive moisture, mold, mildew, etc.). And yes, it's a fire hazard. I had several people tell me I needed to get the venting fixed (which I eventually did). Obviously my situation was different, but I'd think that venting to the outside would be a requirement. I would think that a statement from a fire inspector and then work from a licensed contractor (or an approved contractor from your condo board) should work.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:07 PM

163 posts, read 314,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab123 View Post
My condo/townhouse doesn't vent to the outside. This is problematic. I called my condo management office and was told that the board typically doesn't approve of exterior venting. Before I approach the board or the architectural committee, I am doing research.

Is it possible to get approval from a condo board over something like this? Will my points about fire hazards and moisture build-up make a difference? Will a statement from a contractor or fire inspector make a difference? If I agree to pay for the improvement, and if I use a licensed contractor or other appropriate professional, wouldn't this be something of value to improve the building? Something that would be desired? I know that I don't own the exterior of the building. But inside drying is ruining my interior. I've tried a few different solutions but nothing is as optimal as having the vent go outside.

Any advice or recommendations?
From what I remember, it's code that you need to vent it outside. The condo/TH board can't prevent you from doing something that is required by code but they can require you to do it within standards like "the vent must be white and no larger than 12 x 12" .
If you own a condo and they didn't specifically say you must use a ventless dryer, they should provide proper venting and cleaning the vents should be included in the periodic maintenance. Unless they specifically state you MUST use a "ventless" dryer, which would have been laid out in any agreement you signed.

I went through this in the 90's..

Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
I can't imagine the humidity and lint vented into your home would be healthy or safe!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 PM

199 posts, read 672,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I can't imagine the humidity and lint vented into your home would be healthy or safe!
They make vent-less dryers.

Just based off the building code posted above:
Quote:
Verify that the building plans specify ductwork to exhaust water vapor from the dryer to the exterior (and are located close enough to the exterior to do so) or specify a condensing (ductless) dryer or ventless combo washer/dryer to be installed.
Based off of that, if the condo/HOA bylaws state you need to have a condensing dryer you may be out of luck, of course you can always ask. I wouldn't think the building would have passed county/city inspections if it wasn't built to proper code.

A blocked exterior vent is a fire hazard, but I don't think a vent-less dryer is, or else they would probably have a hard time selling them.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks all! It's an older building that didn't initially have w/d inside. Somewhere along the way, w/d were installed (presumably with permission of the board. Management inspected before I purchased it in August.) So it's possible, I assume, that it could be grandfathered to not require venting. There's nothing in the bylaws or governing documents that talk about w/d or a requirement for a ventless dryer. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a ventless dryer in the future, but the set I have now is really nice and was new.

I'm dreading the process of trying to get approval for this. I appreciate all the feedback! Love this forum.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Also, for now, we have a system that seems to work OK. We only dry on low heat for about 40 minutes. Open up the window in the second bedroom (where the stacked w/d is located in a closet) and close the bedroom door. This has worked better than some of the other methods we've tried (running the vent in the bathroom while drying). Moisture seems to be under better control. BUT right now, we're only using that bedroom for storage, home/office, and guest sleeping. If we had longer terms guests or really wanted to make it into a more robust, electronics-filled office, it would be a bigger problem.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
You could also do what someone I know did when they had a similar situation. They used a flexible vent hose from the dryer to an exterior vent that was attached to a board that was inserted into the window. It vented outside when in use, and was a stacked washer/dryer that used this system in an older apartment building. Basically, you need a board cut to fit your window, a hole cut in the middle for the vent pipe and exterior vent cover that remains in place on the board. Connect a flexible hose to the dryer and to the vent pipe with clips that can be removed so you can fold the hose when not in use. It's a bit more hassle than a permanent outdoor vent, but works better than those internal vent kits.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia