Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of vets in the area (mainly the Springfield area) that do in-home pet euthanasia. It's nothing my dog needs right now, this very day... but she's getting older and she seems to be having a harder and harder time just getting around--sometimes I have to carry her up and down the steps. It crossed my mind that probably in the next couple of years (if not sooner), she will have to be euthanized. But she's so terrified of the vet's office that I would hate her last few moments to be in total fear. I am just planning ahead so that when that stressful time comes, I already have information handy. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
I would just call around to various vets. Kingsview Animal Hospital on Beulah gets good reviews.

Sorry to hear you're having to think about this.

BTW--not to hijack your thread--but what does one do with deceased pets? Growing up, we buried the dog in the backyard. It did seem like the fitting burial site, but I'm pretty sure that's verboten here.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,327 times
I have 2 older dogs so I know how you feel...I don't want to take them to the vet and at home would be so much better. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer. As to what happens to the pet, when you put them down at the vet, you can have it cremated or a 'group' burial- it's up to you.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:10 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,800 times
Compassionate Care Veterinary Services .::. About the Vet

I have no personal experience with this...but found this...and I believe he is in the springfield area (Orange Hunt?)

Old 06-14-2012, 02:50 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Good question to raise with your regular vet next time you're in the office. An increasing number of vets will do or even specialize in at-home euthanasia, so you never know what answer you might get. Other possible sources of information might be the Animal Welfare League in Alexandria, local pet cemeteries such as Noah's Ark in Falls Church (off Lee Highway next to National Memorial Park), and advanced/critical care vet clinics such as Southpaws in Fairfax (Route-50 at Prosperity actually).

Pet burial on the owner's private property is legal in Fairfax County, by the way. The grave should be...

-- Deep enough to prevent a nuisance to the neighbors.
-- Deep enough to cover the top of the animal with at least two feet of soil.
-- At least 100 feet from a domestic water supply well.
-- At least 25 feet from ponds and streams.

Last edited by saganista; 06-14-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
...I would hate her last few moments to be in total fear!
Smart girl - your dog, I mean.

Have you considered in-home hospice/palliative care? (She might even benefit from some degree of that now.)

Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
what does one do with deceased pets? Growing up, we buried the dog in the backyard. It did seem like the fitting burial site, but I'm pretty sure that's verboten here.
I faced this problem when living in one of the local apartment complexes. I did not own a yard to bury my kitty in. There is a crematorium on Vine Street (just off Van Dorne south of the metro station). They have a pet service - Kitty wound up in a little plastic box that I kept in a pottery jar for a year until I visited the family farm and buried him under his favorite tree.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:25 PM

48 posts, read 187,360 times
Carlingtonian (and anyone else who would be interested):

I've used this facility twice before and would highly recommend them:

Heavenly Days Animal Crematory

It's a bit of a hike from Northern VA but it was totally worth the drive (to me). It's not too far off of 270 / Urbana exit, maybe a 5 minute drive from 270. I really have nothing but good things to say about the facility and the service I received. The price is very reasonable (I've used another facility previously) and the price includes a box for the ashes - they will show you a selection to choose from depending on the size of the animal. The "included" boxes are nice too, much nicer than the cardboard box I got the ashes in from the other place.

If there are any other questions about my experience with the company, I'll be happy to answer them. I've used them twice so far (for birds) but will definitely go back when the time comes for my cats. (As heartbreaking it is to think about...)

OP, sorry you have to think about this but I agree that it's good to plan ahead. I, too, plan in-home euthanasia when the time comes but haven't gotten around to researching services so I'll be following this thread. Wishing the best for you and your girl.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
There are mobile vets that I'm sure would do it.

There's a pet crematorium off Van Dorn St in Alexandria that I have used.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,686 times
After the death of the animal, natural or not, how about donating it to science? Or are there enough already? (actually, now that I type this I'd bet there are indeed a surplus)

Everyone in my family agrees that when WE go science/medicine wins.

[perhaps I'm hardhearted about such things - when two consecutive dogs died over the decades (naturally and not) the carcasses were left to the vets to do with as they pleased - from my POV, the body is just a container that's pretty useless when emptied; I still respect others' decisions about such things, of course]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia