Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM

162 posts, read 359,111 times

Advertisements

Thank you OrangeFish for that link. I was looking for something like that.

Do you have any insight into any of my other questions?

I understand you can get into a foreign language immersion program via a lottery, which I've heard is difficult; is it possible to get into another ES that offers FLES? This something like one class a day of foreign language, right? We will actually live closer to Oak Hill ES, so wondering if this is a possibility. Also, do you know of any plans to add more immersion programs or FLES to Lees Corner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolandSprings View Post
Thank you OrangeFish for that link. I was looking for something like that.

Do you have any insight into any of my other questions?

I understand you can get into a foreign language immersion program via a lottery, which I've heard is difficult; is it possible to get into another ES that offers FLES? This something like one class a day of foreign language, right? We will actually live closer to Oak Hill ES, so wondering if this is a possibility. Also, do you know of any plans to add more immersion programs or FLES to Lees Corner?
Regulation 2230.12 outlines the exceptions for attending a school other than the base school.

I know that foreign language immersion will be offered in two additional schools in 2012-2013: Braddock (Spanish) and Colin Powell (Korean).

ETA: I just went digging in BoardDocs and found FLES expansion to eight additional schools in school year 2012-2013:

Churchill Road, Flint Hill, Columbia, Hollin Meadows, Rose Hill, Cherry Run, Poplar Tree, and Oakton

Last edited by OrangeFish; 06-25-2012 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: BoardDocs digging

Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 PM

Thanks again, OrangeFish. I'll have to hope Fairfax continues to expand FLES - they acknowledge the importance of foreign language so you would think they would want to expose all kids, not just those living in certain schools. We have a couple years, maybe Lees Corner ES will be included.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Quote:
Thanks again, OrangeFish. I'll have to hope Fairfax continues to expand FLES - they acknowledge the importance of foreign language so you would think they would want to expose all kids, not just those living in certain schools. We have a couple years, maybe Lees Corner ES will be included.
I suggest making your wishes known both to the Lees Corner principal as well as your School Board members.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
Lees Corner really SHOULD be on the list for the expansion - it is surrounded by schools that already have it. I even heard through someone with some knowledge of our school (she volunteers and subs a lot) that they are preparing to add a second language to our FLES program at Greenbriar West.

My understanding is that only kids within the Powell boundary are going to be eligible for the Korean program. This was based on a conversation with a Powell teacher back in April, so forgive me if this info is outdated.

The immersion programs can be applied to in the K and 1st grade years, but if you want a spot later, you have to have prior knowledge of the language offered AND have an opening at that school.

You cannot apply to be in the FLES programs at anything other than your base school, but FCPS wants to expand it to all schools as soon as they can.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:45 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
Quote:

is it possible to get into another ES that offers FLE?
I doubt this would be a reason allowed for pupil placement at another school. Also, you need to check the availability of pupil placement, allowing a student outside their boundaries to attend. Many of the elementary schools in that area are closed to pupil placement due to over crowding.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll try emailing the school about adding FLES. I'm sure its something they want to do, it is just making it happen.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:10 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
well, if they aren't on the list for this coming year, it isn't going to happen until next year at the earliest. If you move into that neighborhood, I'd contact the PTA asap to ask if they have put any pressure on the administration at the school and county level to add that program.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 AM

Thanks for another good suggestion. I already sent an email to the school and my board members (including members at large).

Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,184 times
Congrats on picking a great schools and Distrcit....I wish we could get back into that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia