Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,534,161 times

Advertisements

Depends on the level and type of amenities you want or expect to come with your $400K house. There aren't many places that offer the broad and extensive range of amenities that NoVa has. When you start thinking about the Richmond and Tidewater areas, you are crosssing quite a lot of stuff out. But if it isn't stuff that would have mattered to you anyway, then there's no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM

82 posts, read 178,276 times
Have you looked into Winchester/Stephens City? I've been looking out there, being that I dont need to commute to DC and it seems to offer a lot of great things for a family and at 400k, you can get many things.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,534,161 times
There certainly are a lot of nice things about the Winchester area. They are all 75 miles and at least 90 minutes away from DC however. That's something to factor in.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 AM

371 posts, read 1,364,931 times
I'm appreciating all the suggestions and enlightening debate. To clarify one point, not looking for "affluent" per se, just an educated middle-class. Can't imagine in most places near DC, $400K house means affluent. But who knows, it's all subjective.

Quote:
A further definition of good sized yard might come in handy, OP. Would a quarter-acre yard suffice? Or do you want more than that? And how big a house do you really want/need? Would a smaller, older home in Fairfax work, or would you prefer the newer communities of PWC or Loudoun?
You know, the way I see it, the closer to the city I am, the smaller the yard I'd have to settle for (though I'd like enough for two kids and a dog to run). The further out I am, then the more space I want since, well, I wouldn't have the city as a playground. As far as square footage, 2500 and up? And I don't mind older homes as long as they are in good shape. I don't want a fixer-upper, however. Hope that clarifies further.

Seems like, at the end of the day, we just won't be able to afford the immediate DC surrounding given the kinds of things we want - so, while we'll visit to make certain, we are also hearing the advice to just go somewhere else (I'd rather find a self-contained city in the general area than get lost in a suburb). So also looking at Frederick and Chesapeake. Two very different places but each has it's own appeal (from a distances! A visit will reveal the truth LOL). I also appreciate the suggestion of Richmond - haven't looked at it too closely except for a few threads on this board that don't make it sound appealing. And, in my research, I just can't get a "feel" for what the Annapolis/Chesapeake Beach areas are all about, so more homework on that as well. I'm thinking those very general areas are pretty much the options for transplant northeasterners with our wants (not-too-boonie, but with the house perks of the boonies LOL, and needs (good schools)?

Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,401 times
I'd be looking around Leesburg, Fredericksburg, Frederick, or Annapolis. Close enough that you could commute in if you had to/enjoy the amenities, but far out enough that you can get what you want.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 AM

231 posts, read 457,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
I'm appreciating all the suggestions and enlightening debate. To clarify one point, not looking for "affluent" per se, just an educated middle-class. Can't imagine in most places near DC, $400K house means affluent. But who knows, it's all subjective.

You know, the way I see it, the closer to the city I am, the smaller the yard I'd have to settle for (though I'd like enough for two kids and a dog to run). The further out I am, then the more space I want since, well, I wouldn't have the city as a playground. As far as square footage, 2500 and up? And I don't mind older homes as long as they are in good shape. I don't want a fixer-upper, however. Hope that clarifies further.
Generally yes, but not always. Lots in my area are 1/3 to 1/2 acre. But you're going to pay for it, though. Indeed, there are two or three short sale properties in Vienna for about $400k. They're about 1/3 acre lots.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,840,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
Generally yes, but not always. Lots in my area are 1/3 to 1/2 acre. But you're going to pay for it, though. Indeed, there are two or three short sale properties in Vienna for about $400k. They're about 1/3 acre lots.
True. Closer-in housing stock that is older actually often have larger lots than newer houses farther out. Having said that, there's not much for $400K close in that has $2500 square feet. My first thought for you was Loudoun County. That area to me is the epitome of 4 BR 2 1/2 bath 2500 square foot homes, although it may be hard at that price point.

My question to you is - where are you coming from? That usually helps me make suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia