Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 AM

494 posts, read 1,191,951 times

Advertisements

I'm going at the limit or maybe slightly above it (to keep up with traffic around me) in center lane. I change lanes b/c my exit is coming up. Some guy is barrelling down the right hand lane (going 20-30 above the limit) so fast that I can barely register him in my mirrors and honks at me for cutting him off. Come on, man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,887 times
I feel your "WTF?"

Happens nearly every night (from 10 p.m. on) on 395S near the lane entrance from Seminary on down toward the Mixing Bowl. Speeding like crazy, using the right-hand lane to pass people on the right. Of course, "our tax dollars NOT at work." Police around? Not a chance.
That's where I start to move over to the right lane because my exit is next.

Have had madmen/madwomen flash lights, honk, get very close -- and it's not like I've cut in front of them close -- they've been at least 25-30 car lengths back, before they kept speeding up.

And then they move over to the lane to the left! (And there are not just 3 lanes there.) Nope, they didn't really need to be in the right-hand lane -- they didn't get off at the exit -- they were just in a hurry. Or drunk. But they are definitely bullies, and the only thought I have is "They better have insurance!"

Guardian angels are sure having a busy time of it here!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,000 times
Just a couple of things.

Did you take a look before you switched lanes (and no not just in your mirrors) - Most do, just double checking... because I know the jerks that I think you are referencing, just gotta make sure everyone is aware of their surroundings.

Another thing.... one of my pet peeves is when people are cruising in the left lanes, and I am FORCED to pass them on the right. I HATE passing on the right... and I am by no means a speeder, I myself am often in the right lanes cruising at my speed, and if someone is going slower than me, I simply pass on the left, and get back over.
It is often dangerous for people to pass on the right - especially people as you say, randomly going at high rates of speed consistently in the right lane... not okay. But unfortunately I don't trust anyone, so if I see someone a little further back when I need to switch lanes... if they look like they are going fast, I don't trust em... people around here suck at driving hah.
But rules of the road state, left lane is for passing... if you are not passing anyone... GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE! haha

But yes... DMV area is known for the crazy, rude, irrational drivers... many of which I can't stand. I seriously can't believe the driving test to get your drivers license around here though... just because someone can drive a straight line,back and forth, stop at a stop sign, and parallel park... DOES NOT mean they can drive!!! That definitely needs to be taken care of.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
When people do crazy stuff like, I like to think that maybe, just maybe they have intestinal flu and really, really need to get home to the bathroom. Makes me less agitated at them and gives me something to immaturely giggle about too. win-win.

But yeah, even if you look when switching lanes... or double look, it can be hard to judge just how fast someone is going--especially if they are going that much faster than the rest of traffic. It's not like you can stare into your mirrors and try to judge, you only get a quick glance and a split second to judge.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I hate driving in this area. The horn is used way too often (it should be solely for "You're about to do something dangerous, watch out!"). It scares the bejeezus out of me and it's not safe to be jumpy while driving.

Yesterday in Old town I was waiting to make a right hand turn on red. There were two lanes of traffic coming across, where the road turned into 3 lanes. Technically, you aren't supposed to change lanes in an intersection, so that third lane should have been clear for me to turn into. In reality though, we all know that's not the case, and oncoming traffic regularly enters that third lane (and as I was waiting the 30 seconds for clearance, I saw multiple cars do just that). SO, I waited until there was no oncoming traffic. The guy behind me was NOT happy, and started laying on his horn. So so so so so frustrating and unnecessary.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Very true to both of those........ and that's the case where if you done everything you can do to be responsible and safe.. and they still insist on...sucking at life... you laugh at them for being stupid... or... give a nice friendly honk back at them. Or there is a particular finger I see some people use quite often as well around here haha.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
But rules of the road state, left lane is for passing... if you are not passing anyone... GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!
YES YES YES.

Why do people not seem to understand this? Seriously, is it not taught in driver's ed anymore?

I'm a super-nice guy in person, but I speed regularly, in the left lane. I signal when I change lanes, and I do nothing but focus on the road when I'm driving. (No eating/drinking, no phoning.)

But if you're in the left lane, toodling along, that's when I get rude. Because you've earned it.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post

Another thing.... one of my pet peeves is when people are cruising in the left lanes, and I am FORCED to pass them on the right. I HATE passing on the right... and I am by no means a speeder, I myself am often in the right lanes cruising at my speed, and if someone is going slower than me, I simply pass on the left, and get back over.
It is often dangerous for people to pass on the right - especially people as you say, randomly going at high rates of speed consistently in the right lane... not okay. But unfortunately I don't trust anyone, so if I see someone a little further back when I need to switch lanes... if they look like they are going fast, I don't trust em... people around here suck at driving hah.
But rules of the road state, left lane is for passing... if you are not passing anyone... GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE! haha
Except in this area there are several left lane exits on high speed roads. It is annoying to ride the left lane, someone tail gates because the left is for passing. Not always unfortunately.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM

92 posts, read 201,740 times
That honk would be my cue to slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down...

Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Except in this area there are several left lane exits on high speed roads. It is annoying to ride the left lane, someone tail gates because the left is for passing. Not always unfortunately.
Unfortunately because some not super bright people put left exits on high speed roads like that... doesn't change the rules of the road that the left lane still is for passing! And if you need to get into the left lane to turn or exit or whatever... you should be courteous of others and keep up with traffic at least. And in those non large highways etc... you after to turn from a left lane, slow down, etc. Just simply use your blinker to communicate with the folks driving around you.

If they are still crazy and a-holes when you are doing that... they are the type that will never be satisfied unless the road was clear and only they could be on it.... so that's when you just roll your eyes and go about your day haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia