Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 PM

80 posts, read 238,048 times

Advertisements

What is the status of putting HOT Lanes on I-95 and I395 stretch? Something needs to be done. The traffic is just awful and I feel it is getting worse! Can't find out when the HOT Lanes will be built. I remember reading about how the HOV drivers and sluggers opposed it which is ridiculous. There is so much wasted space on those lanes. I think the idea that people could pay a toll to ride on the lanes is a great idea. Sounds like the tolls would be too high to ride everyday but atleast would have the option if you really need it. For example, I needed to get home early to help my wife deal with a sick kid and left work about 1 and a half hour early. I still got home at my usual time bc the traffic was so bad! I would have paid anything to get home. It is just maddening how bad the traffic is. Anyone else find the traffic just completely insane and sit in the traffic staring at all that empty unused space on the HOV lanes!!!! Anyway, if anyone could let me know the status of the HOT Lanes, would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Go to vdot's megaprojects web site.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,155 times
See: Virginia HOT Lanes -- This describes the HOT lanes on the Beltway only, but they will likely have an impact on the 95/395 corridor.

See: Virginia Megaprojects -- This describes every aspect of HOT lane construction in Virginia, including the 95/395 corridor.

The timetable I found:

• Project will be built in two sections. The northern section will add another HOV lane for 28 miles from the Pentagon to Dumfries. The southern section will build two new HOV lanes another 28 miles south to Spotsylvania County.
  • Cost: Under negotiation
  • Start date: Mid 2010 pending commercial and financial agreement (Northern section)
  • Estimated completion: TBD

Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 AM

92 posts, read 154,242 times
tysons2008,

I use the I395 HOV lanes each day as a "slugger". I'm against the HOT lanes. I feel that the HOT lanes project will make the HOV lanes more congested & increase the commute times for people that currently use the HOV lanes.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr View Post
tysons2008,

I use the I395 HOV lanes each day as a "slugger". I'm against the HOT lanes. I feel that the HOT lanes project will make the HOV lanes more congested & increase the commute times for people that currently use the HOV lanes.
Agreed, I don't like the idea of HOT Lanes. It already annoys me that hybrids can ride solo...

Did you know that tax payer money will be used to pay for HOV/Motorcycles since they don't pay?! How ridiculous is that!!!! The toll will just keep going up and up (Dulles Toll Road and Dulles Greenway). Rather than allowing "pay for play", why not incentify mass transit.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 AM

257 posts, read 565,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Agreed, I don't like the idea of HOT Lanes. It already annoys me that hybrids can ride solo...

Did you know that tax payer money will be used to pay for HOV/Motorcycles since they don't pay?! How ridiculous is that!!!! The toll will just keep going up and up (Dulles Toll Road and Dulles Greenway). Rather than allowing "pay for play", why not incentify mass transit.
Cause nobody likes mass transit, remember

Old 11-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Oh I could see where the HOV lane users would oppose the project. Their life is grand. Unfortunately, those lanes are well underutilized. I like the fact that the HOT Lanes would replace the violaters and hybrids with toll paying customers - mostly folks using them occassionally when they have to get somewhere on time - with toll funds coming back to make transit improvements along 395 and 95.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysons2008 View Post
Oh I could see where the HOV lane users would oppose the project. Their life is grand. Unfortunately, those lanes are well underutilized. I like the fact that the HOT Lanes would replace the violaters and hybrids with toll paying customers - mostly folks using them occassionally when they have to get somewhere on time - with toll funds coming back to make transit improvements along 395 and 95.

My understanding is that, because the State is broke, it's letting private companies build the HOT lanes....an Australian outfit (Fluor?) in the case of the Beltway HOT lanes.

The profits from those toll funds will go straight into the pockets of their stock/bondholders....

Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
Increase HOV enforcement. A guy last week got popped for a $1000 fine from his 4th HOV violation. Also give those jerks who line up for HOV tickets 'cause it creates a spectacle and people gawk while slowing down (grrrrr)

Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 AM

The tolls money first pays for the debt, then return for investors, BUT then % of funds come back to the state that can only be used for improvements within the corridor. I also like the fact that the private company would fund state troopers to eliminate the HOV violaters and use occupancy detection technology. That's why I would like the toll option to ride the lanes when I need to get somewhere on time. Replace the cheaters and hybrids with toll paying customers with funds coming back to pay for bus rapid transit from Fredericksburg to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia