Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM

35 posts, read 92,443 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone out there is a frequent traveler to and from DC on Amtrak? If so, a few questions:

1. how steady is your cell service during the ride and what provider do you have?

2. how about internet service, and what do you use to connect?

3. are the trains typically on time, and how crowded are they from Culpeper to DC and vice-versa?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,496,616 times
I have Verizon phones and do not usually have any problems on Amtrak, though I am on Northeast Corridor trains just about every time I take Amtrak. For the Internet, I connect through an iPhone 4S, either directly or using the phone as a mobile hotspot. Coverage is generally good, with few problems, but there are periods of slower than normal performance. Unfortunately, I have never taken the train through Culpeper, so I could not give any insight as to ridership.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM

134 posts, read 333,277 times
I'm a distance commuter who comes in town early in the week, stays for a few nights, and takes the train home later in the week. Because I come from Lynchburg, I have two choices: Regional and Crescent, so my response is based on that. I'm going to assume you mean Culpeper - DC. Coverage, phone and data: from DC to Manassas is quite good. To Culpeper I usually get decent service, but it's not as reliable. For others: heading further South, after Culpeper, there is a dead zone until Orange, then it's spotty until Charlottesville. After Charlottesville I just go to the cafe car to meet a friend for drinks b/c the only data service I get is around Covesville, and that lasts just long enough to download email.

1. I have AT&T for phone. It seems pretty solid once I get to Culpeper. My friend has Verizon, and that seems even better. Don't know about Sprint.
  2. The Regional Wi-Fi is usually working (same data issues mentioned above) and I save my gigabytes by using it. It is limited, with some sites and download size restricted. Because of that, I sometimes use my iphone as a hot-spot, too. The Crescent doesn't advertise as having Wi-Fi, and they didn't have it when I took it in March.
  3. Two parter
    1. Most of my experience the past few years has been on the Regional, which is more "on time" than the Crescent. However, with unexpected delays, like track repairs, extreme heat, ice, and flash flood warnings, it can be over an hour late getting in. Because there is a time cushion in DC (where they change engines), the southbound Regional can get to DC late, yet make it up at Union Station. But, if they are too late into DC and they miss that window, and it can snowball b/c they are also sharing stations/tracks with the VRE and CSX. If the track problems are after DC, you aren't likely making up that time.
    2. It's not regularly crowded, but these are the times you can expect a crowd: long weekends, holidays, during the summer when they bring big tour groups to DC on the train, when the local colleges are taking breaks, when the VRE is having issues, and when gas prices jump. If you get on in DC you can usually get a row to yourself, but by Alexandria, you're sharing a seat, at least in the quiet car. But it's never been standing room only.

Last edited by springgrl; 07-02-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia