Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,593,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1550 View Post
Hi Everyone! I am truly thankful to you for your very good suggestions. I followed many of the suggestions that you all offered and I will spend today evening doing the same.

I have a steady full time teaching job at college. I got interested in starting my own tutoring business after getting few offers from tutoring companies to teach. Teaching at a college, I am able to foresee the math concepts and skills that are most necessary for students. 50% students who take college level math withdraw from them countrywide mostly because they are not prepared well to understand them. I am hoping that I will be able to train school students suitably because of my experiences at the college.
I wonder if the target audience might be a problem - you are looking for high school students to tutor, to help them get ready for college math, correct - or did I misunderstand? I am wondering if the same students who withdraw because they are underprepared are the same students whose parents generally look for tutoring. I'm just thinking that when I think of tutoring I think of the advanced students who use it to get even more advanced, or the students who know they are behind and whose parents care. I wonder if the students who go on to college unprepared are students who even knew that they were unprepared. I know parents who spend a fortune on tutoring, but they are people wanting to get their kids into TJ - not people whose kids are behind.

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised that you are a full-time professor and want to tutor. Why? Everyone I know who tutors is an adjunct, and we'd all kill to be real professors and give up all this piecemeal crap work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,760 times
Hi Marie5v, I am very passionate about my job and it makes my life happy and meaningful. However, I am very interested in having my own tutoring company where I can bring my experience, teaching philosophy, and skills to create curriculum and teach. Since, I just moved into the area, I want to start teaching few student to begin with and hopefully grow more.

I am open to teach anybody who wants to learn math. There is a gap between the graduation requirements at high school and required standards by colleges/universities. Two-Third of the students who take math placement test at the community colleges are placed into remedial mathematics classes.

I am open to teach math to anybody - school or college. If the students are in school, I hope that I will be able to teach enough skills so that they are prepared to take college level math or any level math... and are not struggling with the material they should have already known.

Pls let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
How about if someone built a website where local tutors all over the country could advertise their services and customers could book sessions and leave customer feedback? You'd pay them for each student session booked. Would something like that appeal to you?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 4,760 times
Hi CAVA1990, I could it do it for a while but my primary aim is to have my own company. I have seen some similar websites.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1550 View Post
Hi CAVA1990, I could it do it for a while but my primary aim is to have my own company. I have seen some similar websites.
Which websites? Why would advertising your services on them prevent you from having your own company? If my company sells products on Amazon, it's still my company. Presumably your company could sell its services on one of those the same way.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,817,228 times
My kids' elementary school (in NoVA) has a bulletin board when you walk in the first set of doors to the school. On it are advertisements for piano teachers, tutors, clubs, etc. I don't what one does to get approved to put an ad on there, but I imagine you ask at the front desk. It might be worth looking into or calling the schools in your area to see if they have something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia