Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 05:38 AM

271 posts, read 446,744 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Everyone,
I did a quick search and all I came up with was landscaping/mowing services.

What I am looking for is a recco for a lawn maintenance company, like Trugreen or Scotts. I'd rather use a smaller local company if I can; we live in southern Prince William County. We spent 15K this spring on landscaping, irrigation, lighting, sod etc and already have a crabgrass problem growing in the new sod.

I'm fine with doing all the mowing, edging myself but I worry that the over the counter stuff from Depot won't cut it, and a quick Google search nets different results on what and when to use treatments.

The previous owners before us did zero work to the yard before we moved in last year. So I would at least like to have a company set up a regiment for me this year until I can watch them and understand their methodology so I can do it myself.

Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone is staying cool out there..

P.S. You believe this heat? 103? craziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
We are in Prince William County and use a company called TBI Lawncare Professionals. We used all different companies. I don't think our lawn looks any better from year to year. But my husband continues to want to hand out his money to these folks. I'm not saying they are bad at all but I don't have the "perfect" lawn I'd like. Several of my neighbors do, though, and the difference is that the ones that have GREAT lawns all have underground sprinkler systems. That seems to make a huge difference.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM

214 posts, read 499,680 times
We use Kingstowne Lawn & Landscape. Our lawn was basically all weeds when we moved in this year. But up until this heat wave, our lawn actually started to look much better since we've had Kingstowne coming by and doing some weed control treatments. Of course, now our lawn is brown because we don't water enough. You'd have to call to find out if they work in your area.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
I don't think you need a service.

on edit - I see that you installed "irrigation" so you may already have a fully automatic system and if so, please ignore this pgh except for the comment about the separate meter: I agree with Christine that the primary factor is watering deeply when needed and it is a lot easier to do this with an automatic system. However, the additional water will cost you a lot, and of course if you go with an automatic system, there will be an initial expense but if you have a smaller yard, this isn't too bad--it's the water (with the attached sewer etc. fees, which shouldn't be charged for lawn watering but are), season after season, that is costly. You could also investigate getting a second meter to measure outside water use if your county allows this and doesn't attach all the sewer etc. fees to that usage. Where we lived in the midwest this was very reasonable (maybe $300 installation) but in Arlington County, it is outrageously expensive, something like $1000. Had we done everything when we first moved in - the stage you are in - we definitely would have recouped even this huge investment.

The second most important thing, IMHO, is to use Weed-b-gon as soon as you see weeds or crabgrass, before it can get established. It works really well, and if you can then re-seed (when weather permits) healthy grass will replace it.

The third most important thing won't help you, and that is the choice of grass type. Each has tradeoffs. A grass that looks fabulous in the summer, doesn't require as much water as other types, and fends off weeds really well is zoysia, but neighbors may object because (according to the web) it tends to take over other yards, and it looks dead in the winter, so the neighbors with bluegrass will hate the dead looking spots in their yard where zoysia may have invaded. On the other hand, if your neighbors don't mind, as global climate change marches on, there may soon be a time when zoysia does not go dormant and dead looking in the winter. I include these comments mostly for others who haven't decided on the grass, since no one would pull up new sod to change to any type of grass, unless he/she was desperately unhappy with what had been installed.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 AM

271 posts, read 446,744 times
Thanks for the replies everyone thus far.
We have tried the over the counter stuff from depot to treat for crabgrass. It seems to do 'OK' but doesn't prevent new crabgrass growth.

We do have a sprinkler system with rain sensor etc, but what I worry is that the retail stuff isn't strong enough. Also that when the sod was laid (tall fescue) crabgrass preventer was used, this was in late March-early April. Not sure what I can do now but I want a remedy before the crabgrass takes over.

So I am hoping to find some company Reccos for lawn maintenance to keep it healthy and weed free. All the mowing and the flower/shrub beds we do ourselves.

@Chocolate, I'll look into Kingstowne as I've seen them mentioned here before.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:40 AM

178 posts, read 574,558 times
We've been using Turfscapes, which is a small locally owned company based in the Nokesville/Warrenton area...been very happy with them and have found them very easy to work with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia