Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:05 PM

15 posts, read 28,667 times

Advertisements

I'm currently moving from ballston (love the area but can't find any 1 bed under 1700) and it seems apartments around columbia pike are much cheaper. Is there anything wrong with that area? how far is it to get to dc from there? i'm looking at the wellington and I just want to know if there's anything i should know about that area beforehand because i seem to remember a friend telling me to avoid columbia pike right before i moved to ballston,

appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
The main reason it is cheaper is that you are three miles off the metro instead of walking distance. It's a 10 minute bus to the metro or a 10 minute drive to DC.

There's nothing wrong with the area, but it is not yuppie central like Ballston. The area between columbia pike and 50 has a very heavy immigrant population. There some nice apartment buildings along Columbia Pike (mostly on the southern side) and I think the area is safe.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:26 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Enjoy the cheapness while you can, once the light rail is installed the prices there will still be cheaper than R-B, but nothing like the relative cheapness we see now. People who are renting should really consider finding a way to purchase in this region to enjoy the stability of a mortgage instead of the future rent prices. I know thats not a possibility for some, though I would say that if you can afford to pay 18000 a year in rent, you should also figure out a plan to save up a downpayment, because as it is right now equivalent 2brs in this region would actually be less than 18000 a year, except towards equity.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire213 View Post
I'm currently moving from ballston (love the area but can't find any 1 bed under 1700) and it seems apartments around columbia pike are much cheaper. Is there anything wrong with that area? how far is it to get to dc from there? i'm looking at the wellington and I just want to know if there's anything i should know about that area beforehand because i seem to remember a friend telling me to avoid columbia pike right before i moved to ballston,

appreciate any info.
I just moved in off of the Pike near Ft. Myer (in fact a stone's throw to the wellington) and so far I like it. In fact, I like it more than my old neighborhood of the Landmark area. It actually has a lot you can walk to. I think it is cheaper because of the reasons boyd888 said but I don't think there is anything wrong with the area.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,803 times
a family member of ours lives in a one bedroom apt off 2nd street its called Meyerton near Ft Meyers and the rent is $1500 a month all utilities included and has recently been remodeled. I think its worth a look, not too far from Ballston, a little closer than Columbia Pike.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 PM

182 posts, read 540,719 times
I used to live in the Wellington and really liked it (just moved out 4 months ago). Since it's an older building the floor plans are a lot more spacious compared to what you get in Ballston, and you barely hear your neighbors because the floors and walls were solid (concrete floors I'm guessing). Nice big pool too. I never felt unsafe in the area.

The only reason it's cheaper is because it isn't on the metro line and the area isn't packed with yuppies. However, in my two years there the demographics were definitely changing and more bars opened up, plus the new Giant. The buses there are great and run like every 5 minutes during rush. The Wellington also runs a free shuttle to the P City metro during the day. I woulda stayed there longer, but decided to take the plunge of home ownership!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM

Thanks to all you guys for your responses! I have a car so not too fussed about the metro thing. Will check out some of the places you mentioned

Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 AM

81 posts, read 273,758 times
I live in Fillmore Garden Apartments off Walter Reed and Columbia Pike. It is one of the older apartments in the area, but it is convenient to the new Giant and right next to the Barton St and Walter Reed Dr bus stops on the 16 line. The 10B runs up Walter Reed to Ballston as well.

We enjoy living here since we are both trying to save for a down payment on a house, and this helps a lot compared to our old apartment where we paid $1700 plus all the utilities separate. The metro isn't all that far away if you're going to the Blue/Yellow lines, and there is very easy access to the major highways via Washington Blvd.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 AM

oh the other question i have is about traffic? Is columbia pike itself considered a parking lot or just about average to the general traffic in the DMV area?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM

182 posts, read 612,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire213 View Post
oh the other question i have is about traffic? Is columbia pike itself considered a parking lot or just about average to the general traffic in the DMV area?
in my personal experience, its pretty average. I don't recall a time when that road has turned into a parking lot. Can others agree with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia