Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 AM

4 posts, read 4,632 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to northern virginia, viewed Leesburg- Beacon Hill/River Creek. We are a family of 4, my husband will work in Chantilly and I have an 8 and 10 year old. Any thoughts on these 2 areas? Any other areas you would recommend we look at on our next trip up? I know these areas have great schools but do realize drive might be long for husband.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:39 AM

199 posts, read 672,816 times
A lot depends on your budget, what you are looking for (SFH, TH, yard, etc), and how long your husband is willing to commute. Working in Chantilly, I would probably look at the South Riding and Centreville areas as well.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,491,822 times
Yup, and the west sides of Reston and Fair lakes and the south side of Herndon would merit a review as well. Leesburg to Chantilly is at least 20 miles no matter how you slice it. That's a pretty high number for around here.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,640 times
A bit more precise location information would help - the "Chantilly" name is used to cover a great deal of territory. If, for example, you're west of Leesburg but he's WSW of Dulles (yes, some call that "Chantilly", then he's in for an easier time than say, crossing south of 66 & heading east...

Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM

989 posts, read 2,857,412 times
If you are looking to spend River Creek/ Beacon Hill money, I'd look at the new community of Willowsford. It's broken into a few sections. I drove through the section near Brambleton for kicks one day and it's beautiful. It's much closer to Chantilly than the Leesburg neighborhoods, although River Creek wouldn't be a horrible commute.

Regarding Beacon Hill, if memory serves me, those houses are on well and septic and I believe there were some major issues. People couldn't run their dishwasher at the same time they were doing laundry and stuff like that. Overwhelming the systems.

Regarding River Creek, although they have a Leesburg address, they pay much, much higher water rates than the town of Leesburg folks. There was a lawsuit a few years ago and I can't recall the outcome.

Back to Willowsford, the only downside I can see about that neighborhood is it zones into a new, not yet opened high school so not sure how that school will compare. I tried to drive down to look at the section of the neighborhood near South Riding but turned around after driving through seas of townhomes, apartments and very unattractive SFH's once the road turned dirt. So yo may want to stick with looking at the portion of the community near Brambleton...

Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 4,632 times
Thank you for the information on Beacon Hill. We liked the area because of the school reviews and sizes of houses w/property, willing to give in to commute. Is Willowford similar to Beacon Hill but closer in? Where in Reston would you recommend? Also looked at an equestrian subdivision in Haymarket, beautiful, but not sure of schools in Prince William county compared to Loudon. Thank you!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,455,220 times
Beacon Hill, Shenstone, Raspberry Falls all have water and well issues. For gated, country club don't forget Belmont CC. How about Creighton Farms on Route 15 if you're seeking equestrian facilities. Are you seeking land to keep horses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia