Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM

393 posts, read 1,203,706 times

Advertisements

If you are a veteran you can be buried for free at a National cemetery: www.cem.va.gov You still have to pay for the cost of the funeral home and casket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,740,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm so sad to hear that about Chestnut Grove. This may sound odd, but I love walking around in there. It's very peaceful and has a good vibe. Friendly ghosts, maybe? I've often stopped to ponder some of the stones, especially the older ones.
You're not that odd! People in the 19th Century used to picnic in cemeteries, as a way to be close to departed loved ones. They were way more comfortable with death than we are now--but then, they experienced it a lot more too--or at least saw it happen to other people at younger ages (childbirth, cholera, etc.). Cemeteries are indeed beautiful places, with nice trees and landscaping.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,960,231 times
Money and King have been in business in Vienna for over a hundred years and they are wonderful. I highly recommend them. I'm sure they can suggest cemeteries too. Money and King Funeral Home and Cremation Services, Vienna, Virginia | Welcome I always like Flint Hill cemetery in Oakton, very old and historic, outside a small church. Flint Hill Cemetery, Flint Hill Cemetery Association Oakton, VA Home

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,960,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm so sad to hear that about Chestnut Grove. This may sound odd, but I love walking around in there. It's very peaceful and has a good vibe. Friendly ghosts, maybe? I've often stopped to ponder some of the stones, especially the older ones.
I love walking around old cemeteries. My father taught history and he taught us a lot of history in cemeteries. Really. Among many other things, we learned about epidemics like the 1917 flu that wiped out entire families.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,593,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I love walking around old cemeteries. My father taught history and he taught us a lot of history in cemeteries. Really. Among many other things, we learned about epidemics like the 1917 flu that wiped out entire families.
Wow, I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who likes to walk around cemeteries! My husband thinks I am crazy and gets all creeped out about it. It's true that in many cases cemeteries were designed with the thought that people - the living kind - would hang out there. I once visited some cemeteries in another country where every grave had a little bench for visitors to sit on. Once a year family members would go and have a picnic there. It was very beautiful. The older cemeteries tend to be nicer, as the tradition of hanging out at the grave seems to be disappearing and the newer ones just don't seem inviting. I particularly don't like the kind with no stones that are just huge open fields, no trees or anything.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times
If you're a plant lover, old cemeteries are fun to stroll because they often have varieties that can't be found anywhere else. You might see a favorite rose bush of the deceased, or maybe some flowers that were once in vogue decades ago and then mostly disappeared when garden shops stopped selling them.

Also agree about learning history and life lessons by walking through cemeteries. As a child I remember my parents taking us kids on walks through a cemetery near our house. One large monument, sadly, told the story of a school fire in which a few students got trampled. My parents used this as an occasion to explain this is why schools now have fire drills and why it's important to remain calm in an emergency. In Gettysburg my dad always liked to find the memorial to the civil war engineers, and use it as an occasion to teach about the importance of bridges and other engineering details in a battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia