Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,952 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I are looking to move to Northern Virginia, but have absolutely no idea where to look or what would be good. We have been looking at maybe Sterling, VA. But I just have no idea what the areas are like. We are living in Utah right now and just looking for a nice place, little crime. Looking to get a home, will have kids, so just somewhere friendly and open and, again, safe with plenty of things to do. I know there will always be good areas and bad areas no matter where we go, but what recommendations are there for certain areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
In general, Northern Virginia is safe. There are only a handful of very small places that I'd feel uncomfortable living in.

To make a blanket statement about the region, you get what you pay for: higher home prices mean higher scoring public schools, easier access to transportation/jobs, and nicer housing. Figure out what is important to you, as almost everyone has to compromise on something when they come here.

Traffic in this region is a bear. You absolutely want to nail down job(s) before you try to figure out where to live. Your office location will absolutely dictate areas to look at/avoid when house hunting, unless you enjoy sitting in your car for 3 hours every day. If you do it in reverse (pick housing before the job), you could easily end up with a 90 minute commute each direction.

Suggest that you secure job offers, nail down a budget, and then post your wish list for that budget (size/type of housing, commute tolerance, etc) so people can help you.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Your office location will absolutely dictate areas to look at/avoid when house hunting, unless you enjoy sitting in your car for 3 hours every day. If you do it in reverse (pick housing before the job), you could easily end up with a 90 minute commute each direction.
This. We can't offer suggestions unless we know more. I live in Sterling, which is great because I also work in Sterling, but Sterling into DC can be a bear on a daily basis during rush hour. Heck, it can be a bear just from Sterling to Tysons many days.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
Budget and work location needed, then we can make recommendations...

Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimelright0529 View Post
Hello!
My husband and I are looking to move to Northern Virginia, but have absolutely no idea where to look or what would be good. We have been looking at maybe Sterling, VA. But I just have no idea what the areas are like. We are living in Utah right now and just looking for a nice place, little crime. Looking to get a home, will have kids, so just somewhere friendly and open and, again, safe with plenty of things to do. I know there will always be good areas and bad areas no matter where we go, but what recommendations are there for certain areas?

Are you Mormon? There are many here-contact one of the Nova Wards and see what they recommend

Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Budget and work location needed, then we can make recommendations...
+100. There's very few places that are patently unsafe in Northern Virginia. Some areas off of Route 1 south of Alexandria, some areas of the Culmore/Seven Corners area south of Falls Church, some random parts of South Arlington, some random areas of West End Alexandria ... typically just about ANY single-family home part of Northern Virginia will be safe.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM

Sorry! I'm an art teacher and my husband is a graphic designer, so not the biggest budget in the world, but hopefully once we get secure jobs we will have something to work with. I've been looking for job openings in Virginia, but it's just been hard knowing what areas to shoot for. Yes, we are LDS and converts. We are kind of just looking for a new environment and we have wanted to come back east. My family is originally from New York, but I think we would die if I went with something as fast-paced as that.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 PM

We have been married for a year living in a cheap apartment trying to save money for the move. Not 100% what our budget will be once we get there, kind of trying to secure a job first but wasn't sure where to apply simply because I just don't know what areas are good to work in, have tons of openings, etc. We have one friend who is moving to Sterling because of the job opportunities, hence why I was thinking Sterling.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
o Not 100% what our budget will be once we get there, .
Can you not even imagine a range for a budget? The Northern VA area is one of the top 5 most expensive areas in the country. So within this expensive area, there is no point for us to recommend McLean or North Arlington if you can't afford more than $1,500 (rent, 1 bedroom) or $300K (tiny condo) or $700K (small single family home),

But, as other posters recommended, the FIRST step is to find a job. There is no point to move to Sterling, and then find jobs in Gaithersburg, Md or Springfield, VA. Your commute would be horrendous, and there would be much more appropriate placers to live.

Do NOT move to a random location and then find a job, unless you are in month to month housing.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
We have been married for a year living in a cheap apartment trying to save money for the move. Not 100% what our budget will be once we get there, kind of trying to secure a job first but wasn't sure where to apply simply because I just don't know what areas are good to work in, have tons of openings, etc. We have one friend who is moving to Sterling because of the job opportunities, hence why I was thinking Sterling.
It's really really expensive here. Middle income in FFX County is 120K, hence the out of control rents, etc.

If someone in your preffered ward can hook you up with a reduced rent, that would help.

I think if you want to do the East Coast living, DC Metro-esp. Nova, is the absolute best. But you'll trade off saving money and affording a future home/nest egg. There are lots of Fairfax County teachers on this board so you'll get lots of professional insider scoop here. If my family could, we'd leave for a much less hectic area that has reasonable income and home/living prices. But, if you approach your stay here as a couple year vacation to build up your resume then move on to better pastures, I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia