Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 10:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,177,367 times

Advertisements

If you like to waterski, the current reigning Water-Skiing Santa has decided to retire and has announced he's ready to hand over the honor. It's been a great 25 years watching him, as well as the water-skiing reindeer and other performers.

Does anyone here on city-data want to step up and take over the job? Car54 did it years and years ago, and it would be fun to have another forum regular take over the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,177,367 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfFQcj4lHOY

In case you missed it, here's a you tube link so you can check it out!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 AM

74 posts, read 122,772 times
Car54 was the water skiiing Santa? That's awesome!! I wanted to go and see it the other day, but couldn't get my schedule to work...

Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 PM

262 posts, read 584,640 times
I have always wanted to go and see the waterskiing Santa, now I'm too late. Wish I had known this year was his grand finale. Hats off to him for entertaining families for all these years.

I hope someone steps in to take his place, but who in the world would want to water ski in freezing water the day before Christmas? Someone braver than me!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,711,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadgirl View Post
I have always wanted to go and see the waterskiing Santa, now I'm too late. Wish I had known this year was his grand finale. Hats off to him for entertaining families for all these years.

I hope someone steps in to take his place, but who in the world would want to water ski in freezing water the day before Christmas? Someone braver than me!

Don't worry, somebody will take over...guaranteed. Maybe a reindeer, or even the Grinch will move up to the big job? BTW, it's not that cold if you have a proper drysuit on under that Santa suit.

As was mentioned...I did it for a couple years. I was living on my boat at the marina across from the Pentagon in the early 80's. A bunch of us wharf rats were in the clubhouse one Christmas ('83 or '84, I think) drinking copious amounts of beer. On the TV, they had a piece about a skiing Santa somewhere...California maybe. Somebody yelled we ought to do that! One of the rat's wives managed a costume/tuxedo place and she hooked us up with the Santa suit. We drew straws to see who would ski...I lost.

All I did was ski a few laps between the 14th St and Memorial Bridges waving at the cars on the GW Parkway and that was it....I can't remember how many pitchers it took me to warm up afterwards, but it was a LOT. Hardly anybody but those motorists even knew about it...good thing, because it was ILLEGAL to swim or ski in the DC part of the Potomac in those days! LOL

It must have generated some interest because the next year a camera crew from a local station (Ch 7, I think) showed up looking for the skiing Santa. They rode in another boat and taped it....so we got our 15 seconds of fame on the news that night. I also got a ticket, because the harbor fuzz knew who we were from the TV thing.

Then I left the DC boating scene and moved to the Bay....got tired of waiting until low tide so my boat would clear the railroad bridge!

edit: Wow, I just watched that video....it was rough this year! Santa almost went down! Maybe that influence his decision to retire...LOL

Old 12-27-2010, 05:39 PM

262 posts, read 584,640 times
Car 54, you have lead an interesting life. Thats a great story about how the waterskiing Santa started! Its a wonder none of you all drowned considering the condition you were in

Old 12-14-2013, 04:02 AM

1 posts, read 870 times
Default The Show Must Go On!

Well, gingerbreadgirl and Car54, the show must go on. And rest assured, it has.

I just wish there was beer stilled involved. Funny, the show grew and is now more public, with no tickets, and more family-oriented. It would be more fun to be sarcastic. Believe me, I think about it. Yet we keep on going to keep those kids eyes wide and people smiling.

Of course, there are benies. Mrs. Claus always looks good in the less-antiquated dress, and shrinkage only lasts so long. Mrs. Claus can lose the outfit and take the real Santa into the hot tub.

See you this year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia