Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM

428 posts, read 1,116,409 times

Advertisements

Will your wife be working three consecutive days each week? If so, would she consider staying in a hotel for those two overnights each week, thus doing the whole round-trip drive only once a week? Seems like that would be much better for her mental health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
She will be working at inova fairfax hospital. When you say it becomes hov only at 630 what does that mean. We are both clueless about commuting as we have never lived in a metropolitan area before. We might be stuck in stafford however because the campground in front royal only has 30 amp hookups and ours is 50 amp. What would be the best options from Stafford?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,811,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
She will be working at inova fairfax hospital. When you say it becomes hov only at 630 what does that mean. We are both clueless about commuting as we have never lived in a metropolitan area before. We might be stuck in stafford however because the campground in front royal only has 30 amp hookups and ours is 50 amp. What would be the best options from Stafford?
Inova Fairfax is outside the beltway so you don't really have to worry about the "HOV only" at 6:30 AM inside the Beltway. Basically, it means High Occupancy Vehicles (at least two people in the car) are the only cars allowed inside the Beltway on I-66 heading toward the city from 6:30 AM until 9:00 AM.

The HOV at 5:30 AM outside the beltway is for one dedicated lane only. In other words, there are 3 lanes that are for solo drivers (or more), while the 4th lane is dedicated to only drivers who have two or more people in the car. The HOV lane is designated by a diamond and it will say "HOV Only from 6:30 AM until 9:30 AM" or something similar. Your wife would just need to know not to drive in that lane when she is by herself. The same thing is true heading out of the city in the afternoon.

From Stafford, there is a whole middle section of I-95 that is dedicated to HOV drivers (It's HOV-3 which means there must be 3 people in the car). The lanes are in the middle and change direction from morning rush hour to evening rush hour. Again, your wife would have to know not drive in those lanes.

Clear as mud?

ETA: If you've never lived in a metropolitan city before, you've picked a doozie one to learn the ropes!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 PM

Hmm...I was just thinking about campgrounds. Have you looked into Lake Fairfax or Burke Lake? They are county campgrounds and the maximum time at them is 28 days after Labor Day. I'm not sure if they could accompany your size RV, but it looks like they have 50 AMPs. I imagine you could go to one, go to the other and then go back to the first one. You would be much, much closer to Inova Fairfax from either of these campgrounds. Here is the link:

Camp Grounds*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Another consortium of parks is the Northern Virginia Park Authority. They have two campgrounds that would be closer to Inova Fairfax - Bull Run or Pohick Bay. Again, I'm not sure if it would cover your size RV, but it's worth a look.

Reservations

Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
Michgc thank you so much i called pohick bay and will be staying there for two weeks and then moving over to bull run for 2 weeks . I can not thank you enough for those recommendations because before that we were going to stay in stafford. What should i expect for a commute from either one of those places? It looks alot closer than either stafford or front royal

Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Michgc thank you so much i called pohick bay and will be staying there for two weeks and then moving over to bull run for 2 weeks . I can not thank you enough for those recommendations because before that we were going to stay in stafford. What should i expect for a commute from either one of those places? It looks alot closer than either stafford or front royal
Oh, good! I'm so glad I could help you. We have a pop-up camper, and I was a Girl Scout leader, so we have camped at each of those places. I don't know why I didn't think of them earlier when you asked.

I don't know about rush hour commuting time as I've never done either of those routes. I actually lived fairly close to Fairfax Hospital (we've since moved away). I would probably allow an hour from either place, although other people who live near those parks could probably chime in with better estimates.

Yes, both parks are much better commutes than either Stafford or Front Royal. When you get to NoVA and see how crazy traffic is, you'll realize why people pay a premium to live close to their jobs. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia