Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 32,786 times

Advertisements

OK, So I'll be moving from Atlanta GA. to Tyson's Corner this weekend! Yay!
My job is a mile away from my apartment (check)

But, What time does traffic die down in Tyson's Corner area during the week?
Will driving around the Tyson's area on the weekends be a pain?
Also, is there any kind of night life in the area for a single, attractive (so I've been told ), female in her early 30's?

I guess I can't really complain being that I live so close to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 11,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNic79 View Post
Also, is there any kind of night life in the area for a single, attractive (so I've been told ), female in her early 30's?
aww bummer.. i only know night life areas for single, UNATTRACTIVE females in their early 30s..

Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times
I just moved from Tysons/McLean after living there for 5.5 years . I also moved there because I was working in Tysons and wanted to avoid traffic. Here are my thoughts about living in Tysons:

Pros:

Reverse commute to just about anywhere except downtown DC
A bunch of Malls (if you care for that sort of thing)
Metro will be there soon

Cons:

Nightlife is not great - There's one "club", which I don't like but have been to frequently. It used to be called e-citie, but I don't know its new name. It's basically 40-60 year old dancing to house music in a warehouse that's been nicely appointed.

Dining options are limited - Don't like chains? too bad unless you want to be spending a whole lot of dough for Ruth Chris, Chima, Mortons, etc. If you want to avoid the food courts, even the chains are limited. You're welcome to try to get to downtown Falls Church, Vienna or McLean for more unique food options, but have fun with that at 6PM.

Neighborhood - Non existent, this is a business city and people come here to work and go home. It's amazing how empty the streets are on the weekends (as long as you're not on route 7 or near the mall). Walkability is not possible if it requires crossing or following route 7

Construction - hopefully this one is almost done, but they've been building the metro the entire time I've been living here. This compounds traffic and is not good for your car

localized traffic - I would get home from work but not bother to go anywhere until 7 or later due to every single access/feeder road being an endless jam. I would almost feel like I was on a flooded island for the first few hours I was home. One issue is that because there's 495, 66 and 267 all meeting around there, if something is bad on any one of those roads, it causes Tysons itself to be a mess as everyone tries to find alternative routes.

Inhabitants - Many of the people that inhabit the tysons area seem to be wealthy middle eastern or asian types who zoom around in M3's all day while taking smoke/coffee breaks at the various Starbucks or malls. I don't really care, but it sometimes got old being one of a few Americans in any of the malls, restaurants, etc to speak English. I know this is the same everywhere in Northern Virginia/ DC, but it seemed especially concentrated in the Tyson area. I attribute this to the proximity or McLean and Great Falls, and the perceived benefits for image conscious people to be seen at the Malls.

Future - Tysons will eventually resemble the Orange Line corridor in Arlington (that's the plan at least). Unfortunately, by the time that occurs, both you and I will be in our 50s and won't much care if we live in a place like that. For me, I've decided to just pack up, move to Old Town Alexandria and have that experience now while I care. I hope your move works out for you!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy2012 View Post
aww bummer.. i only know night life areas for single, UNATTRACTIVE females in their early 30s..

I literally, laughed out loud!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Wow, Thank you for the break down!
I'm not a fan of chain restaurants, but I don't mind venturing out for great food.
However, I do love to shop.
It looks like I'll be the minority living in Tyson's Corner, but that's fine.

I was considering moving to Alexandria, but I was advised that the commute would be horrible.
Oh Well, I'll guess I'll suck it up for the first year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I just moved from Tysons/McLean after living there for 5.5 years . I also moved there because I was working in Tysons and wanted to avoid traffic. Here are my thoughts about living in Tysons:

Pros:

Reverse commute to just about anywhere except downtown DC
A bunch of Malls (if you care for that sort of thing)
Metro will be there soon

Cons:

Nightlife is not great - There's one "club", which I don't like but have been to frequently. It used to be called e-citie, but I don't know its new name. It's basically 40-60 year old dancing to house music in a warehouse that's been nicely appointed.

Dining options are limited - Don't like chains? too bad unless you want to be spending a whole lot of dough for Ruth Chris, Chima, Mortons, etc. If you want to avoid the food courts, even the chains are limited. You're welcome to try to get to downtown Falls Church, Vienna or McLean for more unique food options, but have fun with that at 6PM.

Neighborhood - Non existent, this is a business city and people come here to work and go home. It's amazing how empty the streets are on the weekends (as long as you're not on route 7 or near the mall). Walkability is not possible if it requires crossing or following route 7

Construction - hopefully this one is almost done, but they've been building the metro the entire time I've been living here. This compounds traffic and is not good for your car

localized traffic - I would get home from work but not bother to go anywhere until 7 or later due to every single access/feeder road being an endless jam. I would almost feel like I was on a flooded island for the first few hours I was home. One issue is that because there's 495, 66 and 267 all meeting around there, if something is bad on any one of those roads, it causes Tysons itself to be a mess as everyone tries to find alternative routes.

Inhabitants - Many of the people that inhabit the tysons area seem to be wealthy middle eastern or asian types who zoom around in M3's all day while taking smoke/coffee breaks at the various Starbucks or malls. I don't really care, but it sometimes got old being one of a few Americans in any of the malls, restaurants, etc to speak English. I know this is the same everywhere in Northern Virginia/ DC, but it seemed especially concentrated in the Tyson area. I attribute this to the proximity or McLean and Great Falls, and the perceived benefits for image conscious people to be seen at the Malls.

Future - Tysons will eventually resemble the Orange Line corridor in Arlington (that's the plan at least). Unfortunately, by the time that occurs, both you and I will be in our 50s and won't much care if we live in a place like that. For me, I've decided to just pack up, move to Old Town Alexandria and have that experience now while I care. I hope your move works out for you!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I know right? How dare these "middle easterners" and "asians" inconvenience you just by being in the same mall as yourself? Where's the outrage over this? If I don't want to see any minority they damn better clear out of the area. Plus they all should just go back to Africa. I mean what's next, will they be allowed to vote as well?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy2012 View Post
I know right? How dare these "middle easterners" and "asians" inconvenience you just by being in the same mall as yourself? Where's the outrage over this? If I don't want to see any minority they damn better clear out of the area. Plus they all should just go back to Africa. I mean what's next, will they be allowed to vote as well?
Look buddy, I'm just giving my assessment. Simply acknowledging differences does not mean I'm disparaging anyone. If you've noticed, everyone tends to aggregate among their own kind. If you don't believe me, drive to Annandale, Herndon , etc. There's nothing wrong with middle easterners or asians being the majority, I'm just mentioning it as someone asked for opinions.

Perhaps you should go back to where ever you came from, regardless of your nationality or ethnicity since it appears as though you're the "new" troll in town.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNic79 View Post
Wow, Thank you for the break down!
I'm not a fan of chain restaurants, but I don't mind venturing out for great food.
However, I do love to shop.
It looks like I'll be the minority living in Tyson's Corner, but that's fine.

I was considering moving to Alexandria, but I was advised that the commute would be horrible.
Oh Well, I'll guess I'll suck it up for the first year.
I decided to give up my awesome commute for a home life once I'm actually there. I'll be doing the Old Town to Tysons commute, and I anticipate it taking 30-45 minutes without incidents, which isn't bad for this area. In periods of no traffic, it's under 20. Considering 30-45 minutes in western directions would put me in Ashburn, Chantilly or other very suburbanized, cookie cutter areas, I feel as though I chose wisely.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Look buddy, I'm just giving my assessment. Simply acknowledging differences does not mean I'm disparaging anyone. If you've noticed, everyone tends to aggregate among their own kind. If you don't believe me, drive to Annandale, Herndon , etc. There's nothing wrong with middle easterners or asians being the majority, I'm just mentioning it as someone asked for opinions.

Perhaps you should go back to where ever you came from, regardless of your nationality or ethnicity since it appears as though you're the "new" troll in town.
Well you sure do seem bothered by all these middle easterners or asians "smoking" and "walking around" in the malls.

You're entitled to your opinion, even though it's bigoted. I'm actually glad you're doing that since it may keep individuals like you out of the community. So spread the word around "buddy"!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Just curious, who do you think mainly lives in Annandale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia