Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 12:40 PM

178 posts, read 574,320 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone can help me, but hoping someone can. Just went to try to sell my used car and, when dealer ran title check, it came back with a hold. THere's no lien on the title, loan has been paid off for several years now, personal property taxes all paid, no known speed or red light camera violations, and when I did my own title check on DMV website, nothing came up. I plan on going to DMV first thing Monday morning, but just wondering if anyone has any idea of what other things could put a hold on a title -- particularly things that wouldn't show up when I run my own check on DMV's website. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:42 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Unpaid tickets of some type or, in VA, car tax would be two things.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
They do not put holds on titles for tickets or taxes, etc. (they will put a stop on the registration for unpaid local taxes though)

The most common reason titles are held is for out-of-state titles. Very often, when one moves to VA and registers their car in VA, they are unable to surrender their out-of-state title because the car isn't paid off yet. So VA DMV issues a registration only and puts a hold on the VA title pending the surrender of the out-of-state title. (otherwise, you could have two titles to the same car)

They used to put a note on the registration card stating the reason title is held...not sure if they still do that, but I'd take a look at the reg. Or look to see if you have an out-of-state title in your possession, if so...that's the reason.

PS: when a title is held it does not physically exist yet...when one satisfies the requirements for issuance, that's when the actual paper title is produced.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:14 PM

178 posts, read 574,320 times
Thanks Car54 and North Beach. Sorry, my terminology may be off. It may indeed be a registration stop and not a title hold. Car has a valid and clear VA title (which I have in my possession) with no lien (and stated as such in the online records when I reviewed).

I was late with my personal property taxes last year so think maybe that's the case. Although they were paid in full (along with the late fee) last December. Just got my new tax bill showing no outstanding balances, but wondering if DMV never got the message (we all know how efficient they are, after all )

Old 08-19-2012, 03:57 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Hey Car54, do you know if and how I can obtain a VA title if the out of state one has a co-owner (X and Y) and the other person isn't going to be on the VA title?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Hey Car54, do you know if and how I can obtain a VA title if the out of state one has a co-owner (X and Y) and the other person isn't going to be on the VA title?

The co-owner has to sign the car over to you. They sign the title where it says "signature of seller".

If the car is already registered in VA in both names, they will probably issue the VA title in both names. Then, to drop the co-owner, you would have him/her sign the VA title over to you (in Section A, "signature of seller").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia