Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,586 times

Advertisements

If you are in the market for Real estate like I am you will no doubt have noticed that Buyers in North Virginia have been doing a great job of holding the line on House prices.
We Haven't been willing to pay the high prices being asked for Homes in our area, and have had some good success in bringing prices down over the last 3 to 4 months.
At least that's been my observation over the last few months. That Sellers in the market have been gradually lowering prices.
I think we have established a firm floor in prices.
I have noticed that homes properly priced do sell, and that homes do sell when the price is lowered enough.

But we need to hold the line!

I have been seeing Fresh homes hitting the market with much Higher asking prices.
its almost like Sellers and Realtors are trying to jump the prices for the spring season.
For instance one neighborhood I have been watching has had several homes sell over the winter. Nothing over $410K and most around or under $400K. Today's fresh listing of a similar home is priced at $475K.

Buyers Unite! We need to hold the line!

Don't pay higher prices just because its starting to get warm.
Keep in mind the huge shadow inventory of soon to be Foreclosed homes out there.
Look at all the Short Sales still sitting on the market.

This Public Service message will be in effect until I actually Buy a House and the escalation of home prices can resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,467 times
lol I am holding the line, do not worry

Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM

2,506 posts, read 3,408,581 times
Not a noVA buyer, but I support your message.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post

This Public Service message will be in effect until I actually Buy a House and the escalation of home prices can resume.
Haha - can I add myself into this and say "UNTIL NEXT FALL"? If we buy, it will be this summer.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 AM

158 posts, read 379,277 times
me too! me too! we are just starting our home search (for real not just searching on zip) so hoping to find something this spring.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,467 times
where are you people planning to buy. I can only afford in PW County

Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,233,607 times
I laughed when I saw a real estate listing page in the Alexandria paper with a big headline, "Who says it's slow?" Trying to heat up prices.

I keep checking Redfin and other sources for sales in my neighborhood, just out of curiousity. Same houses sitting there, month after month. Of course winter plays a part in the slowness as well.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
LOL, if a thumbs up helps, then

Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 AM

265 posts, read 953,133 times
There are always going to be sellers that are a bit unrealistic when pricing their homes and those will sit. When the home is priced competively it will sell much faster.

Average days on market are still low in the Northern Virginia area. Fairfax County home prices have increased (for sold properties) 8.5% and Prince William County has increased 17.9% from 2009 to 2010. . Most of these are the result of the limited distressed (REO) properties in 2010 and more regular sales and successful short sales.

This year also we expect to see an increase in buyers as a result of the BRAC.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
I am house shopping too. I've found communities I like. The only thing that scares me is the lack of inventory in the places I like--I am pretty much waiting for stuff to come on the market. I am hoping things will pick up in the Spring. I am in no hurry either since I really rather time things so I move after the school year is over.

I am a bit wary of short sales though (I won't consider them). I heard you can wait months and months and still not get the house while you wait on the occupants and the banks. If anyone's had a different experience, let me know. I'd consider a foreclosed house, but it has to be in decent shape (I don't mind some fixer-upping, but I have a limit unless the house is dirt cheap).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia