Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,376,948 times

Advertisements

I am holding till the end of the year. Just found out it is going to cost me almost 4k to break the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,558,588 times
Property tax records are very helpful in that respect as you can find out what comps actually sold for from the comfort of your own home. Then again, when I go to sell my house, I'll wish they were never made so accessible, lol.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 PM

265 posts, read 954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am house shopping too. I've found communities I like. The only thing that scares me is the lack of inventory in the places I like--I am pretty much waiting for stuff to come on the market. I am hoping things will pick up in the Spring. I am in no hurry either since I really rather time things so I move after the school year is over.

I am a bit wary of short sales though (I won't consider them). I heard you can wait months and months and still not get the house while you wait on the occupants and the banks. If anyone's had a different experience, let me know. I'd consider a foreclosed house, but it has to be in decent shape (I don't mind some fixer-upping, but I have a limit unless the house is dirt cheap).
We have successfully closed many short sales on both the listing and buying side. With that said, each one is different. A short sale can be approved anywhere from 10 days if its part of the HAFA program or months down the road or in some cases not close at all. The majority of them on average get an approval within 60-90 days from contract. When working on these sales we always ask alot of questions to learn about the particular situation. Most short sales are sold as-is without any repairs although we've had a few lately where the seller is able to do some repairs that have come up during inspections/appraisals.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
where are you people planning to buy. I can only afford in PW County
I had a thread going on my requirements...IF we are still in the area AND my husband agrees to stay for 5+more years. We're trying to stay below $400K with $450K likely our max. We have a TH to sell in North Point Reston area and are hoping to walk away with a decent profit since we bought in 2003 and the prices still remain a decent amount higher than what we owe.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,472,195 times
Congratulations to the buyers holding the line.

Guess what? The sellers are also holding the line and they actually live in a house, get mortgage deductions and are not throwing money away on rent.

So . . . we have a stand-off . . . and until BOTH sides give a little, the housing market will never recover. The only way the economy is going to turn around is if money starts changing hands.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,272,040 times
For instance one neighborhood I have been watching has had several homes sell over the winter. Nothing over $410K and most around or under $400K. Today's fresh listing of a similar home is priced at $475K.

Well, good luck to that seller b/c since the buyer will have to cough up the difference since the bank will not loan if the comps come back a lot lower.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,175,777 times
I think some sellers are unrealistic...as are some buyers.

But I am going to optimistically predict a WONDERFUL spring and summer season in the DC area, based on rumblings I have heard amongst friends, neighbors, etc. Lots of pent-up demand out there.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,817,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

Guess what? The sellers are also holding the line and they actually live in a house, get mortgage deductions and are not throwing money away on rent.

So . . . we have a stand-off . . . and until BOTH sides give a little, the housing market will never recover. The only way the economy is going to turn around is if money starts changing hands.
This is true... you can't expect people to go too low or else they won't sell (unless they have to... in which case the homes probably wont' be in the best of shape anyway).

In my case, there just isn't anything in the neighborhoods I am looking at that fit my needs, in any price range! And there are houses that I like in these neighborhoods... they just aren't for sale (which is why I am hoping for Spring).

Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,817,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
We have successfully closed many short sales on both the listing and buying side. With that said, each one is different. A short sale can be approved anywhere from 10 days if its part of the HAFA program or months down the road or in some cases not close at all. The majority of them on average get an approval within 60-90 days from contract. When working on these sales we always ask alot of questions to learn about the particular situation. Most short sales are sold as-is without any repairs although we've had a few lately where the seller is able to do some repairs that have come up during inspections/appraisals.
Thanks! Maybe I will look into short sales then, at least it gives me more to look at. But I am still a bit wary of them.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM

487 posts, read 1,359,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

I will agree we currently have a sort of standoff because prices have been somewhat stable for the last month or two and not falling.

But make no mistake, its the buyers who are in control.

Sellers are being foreclosed on and are walking away from their homes with strategic defaults.
This imbalance in the market swings the power to the Buyers.

We know the Banks are sitting on a huge shadow inventory of homes that are in default, That they delay the actual foreclosure so they don't have to show the bad loans on their books.

We know that there are profound tax advantages to a Seller who Sells short before the end of 2012. So there are many more Strategic defaults coming.

We as buyers need to protect ourselves by not paying too much for a home now.
We know that there is more pain in the real estate market ahead.
We can tolerate a slight dip if we are planning on staying in our home for a long time.

In my case its merely my desire to get settled that has me looking to buy right now.

And I can say this without fear of successful contradiction.
The real estate market won't recover until the shadow inventory of foreclosures has been absorbed by the market.
I would say that cant begin to happen until at least 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia