Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:02 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Most of the people I was talking about already are homeowners, looking to move up. They have been staying put for a while to see how everything shakes out. But many of them are getting ready to put their houses on the market and move on. Myself included.

Yes, I am aware of the shadow market, but do you think that percentage is going to be as high in this area as it might be in other areas? That is an honest question - my gut tells me no.
I agree with you. I do think NOVA is better off in that regard.
The Foreclosure problem is smaller here, but it still exists.
If I lived in any other market I would not be thinking about buying now.
It is only because I live in NOVA that I am looking to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:56 PM

53 posts, read 126,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I had a thread going on my requirements...IF we are still in the area AND my husband agrees to stay for 5+more years. We're trying to stay below $400K with $450K likely our max. We have a TH to sell in North Point Reston area and are hoping to walk away with a decent profit since we bought in 2003 and the prices still remain a decent amount higher than what we owe.
...we used to live in a TH in Northpoint on Twisted Oak...Don't miss those days.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Not always . . . lots of appraisals are done from the street.
A lot? Where is this general location?

I used to be an appraiser when I lived in WI, 8 yrs ago. Still contemplating joining the industry here, but not in appraisal.

Anyhoo, I never completed an appraisal from the street. I guess in some smaller areas, this can be done, just don't see how it's fair to the home owner.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,173,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulzRulez View Post
A lot? Where is this general location?

I used to be an appraiser when I lived in WI, 8 yrs ago. Still contemplating joining the industry here, but not in appraisal.

Anyhoo, I never completed an appraisal from the street. I guess in some smaller areas, this can be done, just don't see how it's fair to the home owner.
this was done more frequently during the boom. Not as much anymore.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM

:lol:

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 PM

323 posts, read 509,161 times
The idea that Buyers act in any sort of organized fashion is simply false. In fact, it's buyers competing against buyers which drives home prices up. A good home with the right features in the right place in the right condition will attract a lot of offers, and I'll tell you right now that any of you will pay more than you thought you would once you've walked through a dozen decrepit houses and then finally find the one.

I'm speaking as both a seller and a buyer last year. It was incredibly frustrating to be in a down market and find myself in bidding wars for houses that marginally met my requirements. This area has the best job market in the country though and more people are coming in than leaving. Prices will maintain.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
The idea that Buyers act in any sort of organized fashion is simply false. In fact, it's buyers competing against buyers which drives home prices up. A good home with the right features in the right place in the right condition will attract a lot of offers, and I'll tell you right now that any of you will pay more than you thought you would once you've walked through a dozen decrepit houses and then finally find the one.

I'm speaking as both a seller and a buyer last year. It was incredibly frustrating to be in a down market and find myself in bidding wars for houses that marginally met my requirements. This area has the best job market in the country though and more people are coming in than leaving. Prices will maintain.

Buyers Unite!!!
Hold the Line!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,458,442 times
You better not wait too terribly long . . . the timing is optimum for buying a house in the DC metro area right now. The job market is stable, the prices aren't dropping, they're pretty much holding and interest rates are good.

Once it starts rebounding, look out. I'm old . . . and I've watched enough cycles in real estate to know that you better not dawdle too long.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,740,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Fair enough.

But keep in mind.

But Fair market value is determined by what We as Buyers are willing to pay.

It has nothing at all to do with what your mortgage balance it.

And it has nothing to do with your feeling about what your home is worth.

with this one small exception.
If you price your home too high, then in essense you are saying that it is worth that much to you and are in effect your own buyer.
If you can follow that.

But this has zero impact on fair market value because it will just be viewed as a home that never sold.

That is all true, but I am referring to the buyers that will "low ball" a forclosed or short sale property and the bank accepts the offer which in turn destroys the market for comparable properties. It becomes a race to the bottom and there are lots of unscupulous immigrants the just want to unload their homes and have no intention of paying the deficiency.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,965,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That is all true, but I am referring to the buyers that will "low ball" a forclosed or short sale property and the bank accepts the offer which in turn destroys the market for comparable properties. It becomes a race to the bottom and there are lots of unscupulous immigrants the just want to unload their homes and have no intention of paying the deficiency.
All buyers want to offer lower than the asking price, it is part of the negotiation process. However, in this market not so common. The bank or mortgage company has received at least three opinions of market value from experienced Realtors in the area and will specify to use fair market sales as comparables and not to use foreclosures. There certainly is no "race to the bottom", prices are up in most areas from last year this time. As far as "unscrupulous immigrants", I don't know where you came up with that opinion. There are many unscrupulous native born. Could you please cite your source?

The owner of the home in foreclosure or short sale does not decide what the sale price of a home will be. It is up to the bank or mortgage company to set the asking price, agree to the sale price, and it is up to the bank or mortgage company to decide whether or not to pursue the deficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia